Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
2 1/2 year old refuses to go to school

juko

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 9:39 am
My (almost 3 yr old) son has been in school for a year already, he knows the whole concept and I never had a problem with him not wanting to go. Now when the new year started he is refusing to go. It's been a week already and every day he screams his head off that he doesn't want to go. I am pretty sure the problem is not the school since lately he doesn't want to leave me even to go to his Bobby or whatever. I guess he is going throug a seperation anxiety stage but how do I get him to get over it and go to school? I need him to go, I cannot leave him at home, but my heart goes out when I drop him off and he is screaming.

shoshb

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 10:33 am
Any other changes going on at home? Did you have another baby over the past year? Did he go to day camp?
I may be bashed for this, but would you consider keeping him home until after the Yamim Tovim? He will be so inconsistent anyway in his attendance, it might pay to wait until he will be going every day.

juko

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 10:48 am
Well, I am due in about 2 weeks, but how would he know that? I tell him a baby is coming but I never said it was coming NOW. I don't think he can understand the concept of time, to know that now it is imminent and a few months ago it was far off, can he?
He went to camp w/o a problem, didn't even cry the first day. Then at the end of the summer started giving me problems, refused to go. I asked the counselors in camp if a/t happened to him, they said no.

shoshb

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 11:15 am
I agree that he probably doesn't understand about the imminance if the birth. And I take back what I said about keeping him home until after Yom Tov, that's the worst thing you can do!!!!!
Try to find a way to make school his "special place" where only big boys can go. Ask the teachers if he is crying all day, or just at drop-off time. He may give you a hard time for a while, but if he's happy the rest of the day, he's doing it for your benefit!!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 11:35 am
why? whats wrong? is the teacher good? are the kids bothering him? is something going on in school? ask him..

happymom

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 11:36 am
kids know everything. they know when u are having a baby, they can sense something is changing and its hard for them! can u keep him home for a week and spend some time with him before the baby comes?

shopaholic

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 11:55 am
DS (2.10) was in playgroup all of last year with no problem. Now he has had 3 days of school & has cried every morning when I left him. The Morahs have me hand him over, they don't take him from me & we say good bye. They assured me he stops crying a few minutes later when they distract him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers