Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 yr old playgroup- expect

amother

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 10:48 pm
what should I expect from a 2 yr old playgroup? not babysitting. but playgroup. I'm talking about projects, etc. what should they be doing? aschedule?

a lady does it in her house.
she has 4 kids and a few of her own.
thanks

Nikki

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 11:56 pm
When I had my second child she took up a lot of my time so I decided to send my two year old out. It was the best thing I did. She learned so much there and she loved it. They also taught her a lot, I never realized how big two year olds are. She learned colors, shapes, even the beginning of the mah nistanah. They taught her a little parshah and she made gorgeous projects. Every yom tov she came home with projects and songs. Two year olds can learn a lot and I would definitely research a place before I send my child there. It is not the same as babysitting.

EsaEinai

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 2:41 am
the playgroup I had experience with did projects every morning, some more simple, some more elaborate. they davened together, sang songs. there was play time to let the kids reign free indoors with legos, kitchen toys, dolls, etc. and also outside free playtime with bikes, play dough, sand, etc. snacks and lunch were served.

YALT

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 7:29 am
I agree that at that age they can learn alot, and I wish I can send DS to playgroup. But he's officially too young.
But if you feel your child should be learning more than s/he is coming home with now, don't forget: It's the beginning of the year, all mixed up with Yomtov, and as it is they need to get used to being away from Mommy for that time, in a new setting, learn new rules, etc..
Also, some playgroups, do many projects with their kids, and some don't. Yes, it's beautiful to come home with all these projects, but do you want to see what your child can do, or what Morah can do. Many of the steps are done by the Morahs. And besides for seeing what your child is capable of doing, you don't want a Morah who's too tired for the kids bec. she was up all night cutting, drawing, etc...
The point is, EsaAinai & Nikki are both correct. But if your playgroup isn't like that, don't get too worried. But after Yomtov, they should be doing things like coloring, glueing, and eventually learning how to use scissors.

momof2

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 8:53 am
Where can you buy scissors that are safe for 2 yr olds to use?

YALT

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 11:17 am
any proper store that sells school supplies should have.
Walmart, Target,
But at that age, they should always be supervised!
You want the blunt scissors (rounded edge) but you want something that will cut.
I used to get really good ones in Walmart. I can't check what it's called cuz DS is sleeping in the room.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics