Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Crib Bumpers

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 11:51 am
What is the story with crib bumpers?? I didn't buy one for the crib because I heard they were a risk for SIDS but now sometimes I find my baby's feet sticking through the bars and she is not too happy about it...
Is SIDS the worse risk?

Mommastuff

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 11:58 am
I heard the same thing so I also got rid of the bumpers but my dd's feet stick through but that doesn't bother her. Maybe try netting insted of bumpers

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 2:47 pm
I got one for my son because he would shuffle over to the edge of trhe crib and sleep with his forehead pressed against the bars. I hated him having marks on his head every morning. I think if you tie them on properly they're fine, but for most kids they're unnecessary. btw, if you notice that your baby will shift his head in his sleep to get more air, I wouldn't worry about it.

anon

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 3:01 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I got one for my son because he would shuffle over to the edge of trhe crib and sleep with his forehead pressed against the bars.

That's funny, my baby does that also, I can't figure out why. When we put him down to sleep he shuffles over to the edge of the crib (he doesn't crawl but he manages to travel there) and presses his head against the bumper.

Only1, the bumper makes me a little nervous also, especially cuz my baby has to fall asleep with his head near it. What I do is after he falls asleep, I move him slightly so he should be a bit away from the bumper so his face won't mush into it in his sleep. Just because I do it doesn't make it ok, but that's what I do.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 3:23 pm
I bought a crib netting to get the pacifier from falling on the floor. It would help you b/c then the baby's head wouldn't get the marks, and he can still breathe through it.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 4:32 pm
I don't know what to do....

Is there an age when having a crib bumper is safer? My baby is 4 months...

anon

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 5:30 pm
Supposedly, most SIDS deaths occur between 2-4 months of age.

95% occur before six months.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 8:28 pm
I couldn't move the baby-- he fell asleep hugging the bumper. now he has his stuffed animal and no bumper- otherwise he'd climb out of the crib Smile

MMEC123

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 8:41 pm
I bought a mesh/breathable bumper. I don't get it, doctors say no bumpers or blankets yet every crib linen set has both.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 9:29 am
MMEC123 wrote:
I bought a mesh/breathable bumper. I don't get it, doctors say no bumpers or blankets yet every crib linen set has both.

That's what I was wondering... in every store they have the most gorgeous sets with bumpers and quilts on display with the crib in the newborn position. Confused

I had difficulty finding seperates - I only wanted a skirt and sheets.

catonmylap

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 9:59 am
I just took mine out. We used it till the 6 month point. The Israeli ones don't go all the way around anyway. I often found him with his head pressed against it, I don't know that being pressed against the bars is better.

If you do use it, you have to get it out before they can use it to try to climb out on. I took it out now since we decided it was time to lower the mattress. (I wanted to do it early so we'd have no problems).

I started letting him use a blanket that has holes in it. I never used the beautiful comforter that came with the set!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics