Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Seeking buying tips for a Pesach counter/toaster oven

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:23 pm
After hubby spent literally all day cleaning the oven for Pesach (we don't have a self-cleaning oven), I think next year it's time to buy a large toaster/counter oven instead. Any tips for what to buy or how to cook yom tov meals in it for around 10 people?

How big should we get? What features to look for? I'm used to a 60 cm built-in turbo oven with 3 racks. I can put one 9x13 pan (or a larger roasting pan) per rack or 2 smaller pans which does me well. I usually do most of my cooking on Friday - with a large toaster oven I'm figuring I'd have to start cooking earlier right?

We live in Israel but tips from anywhere are welcome.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:58 pm
We have a small oven with two rings on top - about the size of a microwave I'd guess. I can have all 3 working at once - some models will only let you have oven OR rings - very annoying!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 7:20 pm
It's not any easier with a countertop oven. Sad They malfunction, cook unevenly and things don't come out as you expect them to.
It's better to maintain a clean oven throughout the year by keeping a disposable cookie sheet on the bottom shelf for drips and washing once a month (it's not hard if there's no buildup and just maintenance) and then kasher again next year.
Enjoy the full oven this year after all the hard work! If must feel very rewarding! We did it for 6 years without self clean and it was very hard but made YT cooking so much easier.
(For 4 years we had an old crusty oven at another apartment that wasn't possible to kasher so we did everything on the stove instead of using the countertop ovens. Also hard work. Smile Pesach just doesn't come easily. Wink But I do love YT once it's here!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics