Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Doing kaparos for the unborn child?

greentiger

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 10:47 am
Why does a mother need to do kaparos for her fetus? Is the fetus in other areas of halacha not considered part of herself? Also, why should this pure unborn neshoma need a kapara -he hasen't had time to sin yet.. Is it for possible averos of past gilgulim?

Nicole

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 11:20 am
Dh just told me that he asked this very question years ago to a chashuv rebbe from his yeshiva who was very elderly at the time. The Rav answered, but dh didn't understand and said so. The rav repeated and dh still didn't understand but felt bad so said he did. I'm still wondering...

southernbubby

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 12:26 pm
I remember 22yrs ago today. I shlugged kaporahs for myself and the unborn. Today is her birthday. I went into labor during kaporahs.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 12:49 pm
I asked this Q to my Rav and he said that though the unborn child has no sins, he is a gilgul of a neshama that is being sent down to earth again to correct certain things, and that is what the kaparos is for....
all that baggage from previous gilgulim.

There are probably other explanations too....

malkie

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 2:34 pm
The Lubavitcher Rebbe says the kapparos for an unborn child is in case the mother ate anything impure, which was then transmitted to the child through the placenta (bloodstream).

amother

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 2:53 pm
FYI, I am 11 weeks pregnant and wasn't sure how many chickens I would need. My Rav said that if the pregnancy is over 40 days then you need 1 chicken for the mother and 2 chickens for the baby, making it a total of 3 chickens over the mothers head.

Zus

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 1:25 pm
When I was pg with DS, I did kaparot with 2 coins (we use coins in stead of chickens), when I was pg with my twin girls, we did it with 3 coins 8)
I never heard that you need to 'double up' for a fetus.

louche

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 1:44 pm
With coins you wouldn't need to. with chickens you do b/c you don't know the gender of the baby (unless you had amnio). you use a rooster for males and a hen for females, so you use one of each for the baby to keep all your bases covered. with twins I suppose you'd need five chickens in all! Yiiiikes!

Zus

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 1:46 pm
Aaahhhh! Thanks for clarifying Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions