Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Who would you trust to reset a diamond ring?

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 12:05 pm
Right before Pesach, I accidentally dropped my diamond ring, and for the first time ever, the diamond fell out of the settign! B"H it was in our front hallway and not on the street, so I immediately found it and put it away safely.

Now that Yom Tov is over, I need to go get it repaired and reset. B"H it's worth a lot of money, so when I take it to be cleaned, I've always been careful never to let it out of my sight, just to be safe. But in this case, there's a good chance I'll need to leave it for a few days while they repair it. Who in Flatbush/BP would you trust to leave your diamond with, and to do a good job fixing it so it hopefully will never happen again?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 12:12 pm
Find a jeweler who does high end custom work. The one I used wasn't in your area, but they had the metal working shop in the front of the store, so people could see what the process was like. I had them reset a diamond, and they did it right there in front of me. No chance of switching the stone for CZ, which is a common scam, unfortunately.

Tell them that you are hard on your rings, and that you want the "prong tips reinforced". They'll understand what you mean. You may need a new basket all together, if it's too weak for the size of the stone.

Honestly, I would hang onto it and wait until you find a shop that will fix the ring while you wait, and do it right in front of your eyes. You may have to go into Manhattan and find a place in the diamond district to do it. The fake stones are just too good these days, and you'd never know if they cheated you - until you go somewhere else to it appraised. Sad

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 1:44 pm
The person the diamond was bought from and who set it originally.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 5:54 pm
Thanks, unfortunately the person I bought it from has retired and moved far away. Some of the names I was given are Feldman's, Simpson's, and Molly's. Can anybody comment on any of these, and whether you would feel comfortable leaving them a valuable diamond to be reset?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 6:33 pm
I would trust Simpson's.
But they charge much more money to fix something that wasn't bought there since they guarentee it once it's in their possession.

momto2

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 7:21 pm
I have had very good experience with Feldman's, they reset my diamond and cleaned it a few times. A relative of mine is in the diamond line and confirmed that it's still a diamond :-)

jflower

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 9:06 pm
I set my diamond by Mr Bretter on 47th St and I sat there while he worked on it. I looked thru my old business cards but couldn't find the # (this was before smartphones & contacts.)

I wouldn't give my ring to anyone who's going to keep it for a few days.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 1:52 pm
Bump - anyone else? At this point I've heard a lot of good things about Feldman's, and I'm inclined to trust them with it just to get it done. Does anybody have any specific experiences with them that would either put me at ease or encourage me to be cautious and look for someplace else?

happy12

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 6:15 pm
I never did a diamond there but my parents bought kallah jewelry and I have purchased jewelry there.

gazingblue

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 6:33 pm
I have found feldman to be very trustworthy.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 3:04 am
Mr. Feldman is a very honest person. I feel he will be good for you!

jflower

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 5:00 am
If you decide to go to Feldman ask about the diamond setter that he uses. I don't think they do repairs themselves but rather give it to someone else.

alwayscooking

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 8:26 am
I reset my diamond with mollys and I was very happy with them and definitely trout them! Good luck

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 8:32 pm
You need someone who will do the work in front of you. And watch them, don't play on your phone.

Do you hve an appraisal? Afterwards, go to a diamondologist or gemologist and have the ring looked at, to make sure it's what you took in. Take the appraisal with you, if you aren't using the same person.

joyce01

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:56 pm
Another vote for Feldman. Theu are the most trustworthy people in the business.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries