Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Rabbi Binyamin Strauss - Mesivta placement expert

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 11:33 am
We're having a hard time navigating the maze of high school options for DS for next year, and heard about Rabbi Binyamin Strauss in Lakewood, who helps advise people on selecting the right mesivta high school.

Does he do this over the phone, or do you have to go meet him in person (with DS)? Does he charge for his services, and if so, approximately how much? If yes, did you find that it was helpful and worth the cost?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 11:45 am
amother wrote:
We're having a hard time navigating the maze of high school options for DS for next year, and heard about Rabbi Binyamin Strauss in Lakewood, who helps advise people on selecting the right mesivta high school.

Does he do this over the phone, or do you have to go meet him in person (with DS)? Does he charge for his services, and if so, approximately how much? If yes, did you find that it was helpful and worth the cost?

I've never heard of this. Wouldn't his rebbaim and menahel who have seem him on a daily basis and know him well be better equipped to make suggestions? Why go to a 3rd party who doesn't know your son?

debsey

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 12:15 pm
amother wrote:
I've never heard of this. Wouldn't his rebbaim and menahel who have seem him on a daily basis and know him well be better equipped to make suggestions? Why go to a 3rd party who doesn't know your son?

I don't know the cost of an appt with him, but I know he gives really good advice. The menahel might know your kid, but he doesn't know the ins and outs of the zillion mesivtos that exist in the world.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion. In this case, without getting too specific, his current school is not a good fit for him (DS agrees with this), yet his Rebbeim and Menahel cannot see this. They think their school is the best and tried to pressure him to remain. Even among alternatives, they are recommending what they think is most like their school as "the best," without being able to understand the idea of "best for DS."

This is why I'm trying to do my own research to navigate the maze, and was recommended to contact Rabbi Strauss. Before doing so, I just want to understand how he works and what to expect, so if anybody can answer any of my original questions, I'd appreciate it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 5:16 pm
I took my son to him approximately 4 yrs ago, at which time he held meetings in his Lakewood home. I do not recall what he charged. He met with us first, and then with my son. He also spoke to his Rebbe. He seemed to be very knowledgeable about many yeshivos, with his finger on the pulse of current circumstances in the mesivtas (where things can change in a relatively short time, so current information is very important.) He also quickly had a pretty good grasp of my son's personality and learning level. He was in a rush, and was quite blunt, and rubbed my son the wrong way. My son (who is a good kid and a strong learner) therefore wasn't really interested in Rabbi Strauss' suggestions, so it didn't work for us. I know that others have found him helpful, and I do think he is a really good resource for information and guidance.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 6:27 pm
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm impressed to hear that he also speaks to the current teacher, which shows that he's really trying to get a feel for the boy and what would be the best fit for him. I've heard enough good things that I'm inclined to give it a try, but I would just like to have some ballpark idea of what he charges to make sure it's within my budget. Does anybody know his rates, or even an approximation - $50? $100? $200? More?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 6:29 pm
Why not call and ask him? He was very approachable.

strawberry cola

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 11:34 pm
After reading this exchange, I called Rabbi Strauss, who said he has never charged anyone a penny for his services, even when people have offered him money. We Baruch Hashem had a wonderful experience with him; he was the shaliach to get our son into the school that was right for him, when no one else could.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 2:34 pm
does anyone have a phone number

strawberry cola

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 2:42 pm
732-370-2874

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 3:17 pm
thanks that's his house number, does he have a cell or something?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 5:00 pm
I haven't used him for Yeshiva suggestion but I know him. He has a heart of gold ...he is blunt at times so make sure you can handle it. Just know it's coming from a good place. He truly cares for kids ....
I knew him as a teen and felt he has a good grasp of the issues facing teens and parenting skills in general.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 5:02 pm
I haven't used him for Yeshiva suggestion but I know him. He has a heart of gold ...he is blunt at times so make sure you can handle it. Just know it's coming from a good place. He truly cares for kids ....
I knew him as a teen and felt he has a good grasp of the issues facing teens and parenting skills in general.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics