Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Chicken pox ....and travelling!!
1  2  3  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 8:33 am
DD had chicken pox two weeks ago (shabbes after pesach) DS (14 months) is a bit cranky today and has one spot on his back. And im supposed to travel on Wednesday on a transatlantic flight for a trip I've been waiting for 11 years!! Crying
What do I do now??

PAMOM

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 8:35 am
Ask your doctor.

pause

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 8:42 am
amother wrote:
DD had chicken pox two weeks ago (shabbes after pesach) DS (14 months) is a bit cranky today and has one spot on his back. And im supposed to travel on Wednesday on a transatlantic flight for a trip I've been waiting for 11 years!! Crying
What do I do now??

It's no longer contagious. Chicken pox is contagious for two weeks prior and as long as the pox are p**** and wet. Once they're dried out, no difference how many there are. You definitely don't have to worry about this.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 8:47 am
pause wrote:
It's no longer contagious. Chicken pox is contagious for two weeks prior and as long as the pox are p**** and wet. Once they're dried out, no difference how many there are. You definitely don't have to worry about this.

But in 4 days it will still be wet no?

SplitPea

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:35 am
amother wrote:

If you live in NYC area please PM me I would love to have a play date with you baby

pause

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:37 am
amother wrote:
Didn't you say he got chicken pox two weeks ago??? The pox remain wet for at most a week from when they start popping. More usual is 3-4 days.

Is the pimple p**** or scabby?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:41 am
shock

How could you even THINK about traveling? Your doctor had better be 1,000% sure that you are all safe and not contagious before you set foot on that airplane.

ohmygosh

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:41 am
pause wrote:

She said DD had it 2 weeks ago, but that DS has one spot now. If DS is coming down with chicken pox, he most certainly is contagious. And it would be completely irresponsible to travel on a plane with a child with known active chicken pox.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:51 am
pause wrote:
Didn't you say he got chicken pox two weeks ago??? The pox remain wet for at most a week from when they start popping. More usual is 3-4 days.

Is the pimple p**** or scabby?

DD had it two weeks ago I think DS is getting it now.im travelling with DS
Sorry split pea I live in Europe

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:15 am
Do you have traveler's insurance? This is what it's meant for. I'm so sorry this is happening especially since you've waited 11 years for this trip. Hug You must be beyond devastated!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:21 am
There may be a very good reason why Hashem doesn't want you on that airplane. You may never know - or you may see it in the news. Either way, you need to trust that everything has it's reasons.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:22 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
There may be a very good reason why Hashem doesn't want you on that airplane. You may never know - or you may see it in the news. Either way, you need to trust that everything has it's reasons.

What a horrifying thought I will have family on the plane...

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:23 am
ra_mom wrote:
Do you have traveler's insurance? This is what it's meant for. I'm so sorry this is happening especially since you've waited 11 years for this trip. Hug You must be beyond devastated!

I'm beyond devastated I don't even know what to do

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:29 am
I had EXACTLY this situation a few years ago. My son came down with chicken pox 3 days before me and him were supposed to go on a transatlantic trip. (Ok I wasn't waiting 11 years for the trip...) I took him to the dr to confirm it was chicken pox. The dr said not to go on a plane - if a pregnant or vulnarable person was on the flight chances of transmission were very high and it could be very dangerous for them.

I was able to change my ticket for a later date when I had a family simcha. Even with a drs letter the airline still made me pay the change fee. shock Airlines in general completely do not care if you are sick with highly dangerous and contagious diseases...they will still not change flights for free.

IYH for this reason I would seriously think about vaccinating any future children even though it is not done routinely here.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
What a horrifying thought I will have family on the plane...

Or maybe the person seated in front of you has a weak heart, and if they catch it ... Sad

I know you're devastated. Call the airline and tell them that for the health of all the other passengers, you need to reschedule. They'll understand.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:31 am
definitely take your son to the dr...dr may be able to advise when it is safe to fly. In my case I think she said I could have gone 3 or 4 days later, which was too late for me, but might work for you.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Call the airline and tell them that for the health of all the other passengers, you need to reschedule. They'll understand.

I wanted to add, before you call, daven that you'll get someone on the phone who will be compassionate and not give you a hard time. Sometimes you'll catch someone in a good mood, and that can make all the difference.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:35 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I wanted to add, before you call, daven that you'll get someone on the phone who will be compassionate and not give you a hard time. Sometimes you'll catch someone in a good mood, and that can make all the difference.

And if not, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you find your malach.

Also want to add that I've been in the situation where I had to cancel last minute due to illness. I was successful in getting a voucher from the airline (Delta) that I used for a later flight. That was without travel insurance.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:37 am
I can have my travel agent call that is not the issue I'm so so upset I can't stop crying. How possible is it that it's not chicken pox?

pause

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:38 am
ohmygosh wrote:
She said DD had it 2 weeks ago, but that DS has one spot now. If DS is coming down with chicken pox, he most certainly is contagious. And it would be completely irresponsible to travel on a plane with a child with known active chicken pox.

Yes. I missed that. I'm glad you corrected me because I wouldn't want that achrayus on me.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics