Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Chicken pox ....and travelling!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

pause

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
I can have my travel agent call that is not the issue I'm so so upset I can't stop crying. How possible is it that it's not chicken pox?
Probably very likely that it is. Two weeks ago exposure, pimple, cranky. It all adds up. why don't you call your pediatrician?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 1:43 pm
pause wrote:
Probably very likely that it is. Two weeks ago exposure, pimple, cranky. It all adds up. why don't you call your pediatrician?

It's Sunday here there is no one to talk to here

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 1:44 pm
Hypothetically (I'm not saying I'm doing it) if your child would only have two or 3 spots would you travel with him?

Raisin

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
It's Sunday here there is no one to talk to here

Some GPs have out of hours services. If not call tomorrow morning and make an appointment. If it is chicken pox you might need the letter from the dr to say so, if its not, all will be ok. Smile

fleetwood

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 2:00 pm
Just an FYI,my sister caught it from me exactly three weeks after I started. We assumed she was in the clear.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 2:10 pm
Incubation time is up to 21 days, so 3 weeks later is still normal.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
Hypothetically (I'm not saying I'm doing it) if your child would only have two or 3 spots would you travel with him?

It would be a really selfish thing to do. You have no idea who you're traveling with and chicken pox can be deadly to the elderly or immunocompromised.

If it's chicken pox, it will likely spread over his body, so you'll know by tomorrow by seeing if it's spreading.

By the way, chicken pox is contagious by air as well, not just by touch, so if your child cough or sneezes he can spread it.

I feel bad that one would have to cancel a trip, but you would not want to be responsible for someones potential death.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
It would be a really selfish thing to do. You have no idea who you're traveling with and chicken pox can be deadly to the elderly or immunocompromised.

If it's chicken pox, it will likely spread over his body, so you'll know by tomorrow by seeing if it's spreading.

By the way, chicken pox is contagious by air as well, not just by touch, so if your child cough or sneezes he can spread it.

I feel bad that one would have to cancel a trip, but you would not want to be responsible for someones potential death.

Exactly. If you don't vaccinate your kids, you run the risk of losing your vacation. You made the choice, so now you deal with the consequences. It's not fair to expose other people to your bad decisions.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:

Absolutely not.

I don't want to be responsible for anyone's untimely death.

An acquaintance of mine died after she contracted chicken pox. It can be deadly to many people and not something to take a chance on.

Raisin

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 2:48 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Incubation time is up to 21 days, so 3 weeks later is still normal.

I don't think the OP's son is contagious for 21 days. (in case people think that is what you mean)

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 2:59 pm
I didn't think people get chicken pox since there's a vaccine for it

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't think people get chicken pox since there's a vaccine for it

The existence of a vaccine does not mean everyone is immune.
It is not mandatory everywhere either.

pause

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 3:04 pm
Raisin wrote:
I don't think the OP's son is contagious for 21 days. (in case people think that is what you mean)
He can be. From when he was exposed until his pox are dry and scabbing over, he is likely contagious.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 3:39 pm
Op is in Europe so as I understand it, varicella vaccine is not required. This makes me glad it is here.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 4:03 pm
amother wrote:
Exactly. If you don't vaccinate your kids, you run the risk of losing your vacation. You made the choice, so now you deal with the consequences. It's not fair to expose other people to your bad decisions.

In many countries in Europe the chicken pox vaccine is not offered routinely, (rightly or wrongly) so its not really a choice someone made. If I give my kids the full schedule of government mandated vaccines, they won't get the chicken pox one. I have to pay (quite a lot of money!) privately to get it. I'm not sure my regular dr even offers it, I would have to find one. Since I lived in the US for a time I am aware that this vaccine exists, most european parents might not even know about it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 4:03 pm
amother wrote:

Lol I like the way you jump to conclusions. I'm as pro vaccine as can be always give them right on time. But 1: I don't think it exists here (it's for sure not mandatory) 2: you're not immune if you get it you can still catch chicken pox, and I've heard those people get it much much worse.

amother
White

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:

2-3 spots are still contagious! It doesn't matter whether it's 3 or 25 or 100 spots - the person still transmits the virus the same - via airborne particles from mouth and nose, as well saliva, etc. This is not dependent on the number of spots.

It's so dangerous for pregnant women too. I never had chicken pox, and had the vaccine as an older child. When I was 5 or 6 months pregnant after years of infertility, I was exposed to the chicken pox - we had people came over, and they knew they were still contagious and didn't even bother to tell me, because they assumed it wasn't a problem, and I only found out several days later. When I asked my doctor, we checked the vaccine I got; apparently when it first came out, they gave only 1 dose to older children, but later realized that 2 doses are needed in older children in order for the immunity to last for sure, and there was a small chance that because I only had 1 dose, that the immunity wore off after 10 years, and this was more than 10 years later. I had to rush to get my immunities checked, all the while knowing that it was possible that my unborn baby, who I had waited years for, could end up with severe disabilities, birth defects, or even die because someone else was irresponsible. After several days of this, waiting for the blood tests to come back, I found out that thank G-d, I was immune, and everything was fine.

OP, I'm so sorry that you won't be able to take this trip Sad

amother
White

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:
Lol I like the way you jump to conclusions. I'm as pro vaccine as can be always give them right on time. But 1: I don't think it exists here (it's for sure not mandatory) 2: you're not immune if you get it you can still catch chicken pox, and I've heard those people get it much much worse.

Most children who get the vaccine are immune and don't get the chicken pox. Yes, a few children who get the vaccine still get chicken pox, but it is usually a much milder case (not more severe as you've heard).

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 4:48 pm
amother wrote:
2-3 spots are still contagious! It doesn't matter whether it's 3 or 25 or 100 spots - the person still transmits the virus the same - via airborne particles from mouth and nose, as well saliva, etc. This is not dependent on the number of spots.

It's so dangerous for pregnant women too. I never had chicken pox, and had the vaccine as an older child. When I was 5 or 6 months pregnant after years of infertility, I was exposed to the chicken pox - we had people came over, and they knew they were still contagious and didn't even bother to tell me, because they assumed it wasn't a problem, and I only found out several days later. When I asked my doctor, we checked the vaccine I got; apparently when it first came out, they gave only 1 dose to older children, but later realized that 2 doses are needed in older children in order for the immunity to last for sure, and there was a small chance that because I only had 1 dose, that the immunity wore off after 10 years, and this was more than 10 years later. I had to rush to get my immunities checked, all the while knowing that it was possible that my unborn baby, who I had waited years for, could end up with severe disabilities, birth defects, or even die because someone else was irresponsible. After several days of this, waiting for the blood tests to come back, I found out that thank G-d, I was immune, and everything was fine.

OP, I'm so sorry that you won't be able to take this trip Sad

Oy. I'm so sorry. Thats one reason I am happy I had the chicken pox as a child and not just the vaccine - you are immune for life. Also, you pass immunity on to your nursing babies. I myself am very careful - if one of my kids has been exposed to chicken pox I will warn people that my kids might be contagious. I find other people are not nearly as thoughtful. A person is actually the MOST contagious 2 days before the spots come out.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:
Oy. I'm so sorry. Thats one reason I am happy I had the chicken pox as a child and not just the vaccine - you are immune for life. Also, you pass immunity on to your nursing babies. I myself am very careful - if one of my kids has been exposed to chicken pox I will warn people that my kids might be contagious. I find other people are not nearly as thoughtful. A person is actually the MOST contagious 2 days before the spots come out.

But the immunity they get while nursing is NOT lifelong and they either need the disease or the vaccination.
Do not take your kid on the trip. Do you have any relatives the child can stay with? Can you push your flight off? Can DH stay home with him while you go?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics