Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
How much to spend on 4 minim (esrog)?
1  2  3  Next

shlumzmum

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 9:44 pm
DH just went out to but them and he said that he couldnt find any nice ones cheaper than 250.00 dollars

was wondering how much you spend?

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 9:49 pm
My dh ended up spending only $60, but there wasnt a great selection in our area. He did say for what he got though it was a very good price.

stem

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 9:51 pm
My husband just got a gorgeous one for $72. We get a limited shipment to our town, all cost the same, and it's first come first serve for the picking. Since my husband always helps out with the selling, he's one of the first to see them... Tongue Out

hila

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 1:41 am
We pay 100sh ($25) for a mehudar set. And since it is thru the moetsa datit someof that goes to tsedaka

A kosher set is a lot less(can be got for about 60sh).

I guess Israel is the place to be.

Plan your aliya now !

drumjj

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 2:21 am
my husband spends like 120 dollars (60 pounds) I dont understand why he needs to buy such an expensive esrog but he said its a mitzva to get a good one?

hila

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 2:44 am
I know shipping can cost a lot. But someone here is making a LOT of money . Etrogs DO NOT COST that much. THe middle man is getting really well paid.

I know the "cost price" of a mehudar set is about 5osh ($12.5) .

Seems to me that profit margin is really big on Lulavim etc.
ANd you people in Chul have no choice but to pay the prices.

Here - there are private sellers, or shuk arba minim in several places - worth a visit just to see it, and organisations who sell and give their cut to tsedaka.

I guess competition helps Very Happy

shalhevet

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 3:00 am
Here a really mehudar etrog can cost more than 200 shekels too. Etrogim are a lot of work to grow, and they make their money on the mehudar ones. Don't forget many are passul and can't be sold at all.

I'm sure shipping adds a lot to the cost, plus another few 'middle-men' on the way who need to make a living too. Confused

hila

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 3:29 am
I know how much work they are to grow. We have an Etrog tree. But it keeps having flowers, but no fruit. Sad
I do talk to it every day - maybe shmitta will help it to grow fruit .

It just seems to me that some sellers take advantage of their monoploy in chul.

MommyEsty

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 3:59 am
my husband bought two for £150 one for him and one for his dad who is coming for yomtov.
thats like $150 each.
its not like we can really afford it but hey its a mitzva im sure hashem will pay us back! (I sure hope so succos is costing aloooot!)

MommyEsty

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 4:04 am
I just saw now that on the subject you wrote esrog.... so £150 was for teh whole set not just esrog

drumjj

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 4:10 am
I dont have a clue how much he paid for the rest prob not that much I think its a lot of money but also he wants one with the pitum off which is supposed to be lubavitch are they more expensive maybe

HooRYou

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 4:16 am
DH also bought a 200 nis esrog. It sounds like a lot, but this is really a mitzvah that the quality really ranges and we are supposed to pay more for something that is reallt much higher quality. Every year DH buys the best most mehudar set he can find. One year during ChH"Mwe had to run to Bikur Cholim (long story) first thing in the morning. DH asked someone there with his arbah minim if he could take them and if I could too. The man agreed but looked wary. After I saw his set I knew why. As nice as DH's always are he has never had anything nearly as nice as this one. Even eithin the range of mehadrin min ha medhadrin there is a big range and you pay more for the better ones.

silber

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 4:16 am
DH bought an esrog for $200. its the middle price here.

catonmylap

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 5:03 am
Dh's set was 90 shekel.

Where is the middle price on an esrog $200??

silber

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 5:12 am
In europe!

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 5:51 am
I told DH this morning that he could spend a bit more than usual on his set this year...we got some money for yom tov that we haven't used for anything. I think last year he paid about 75 shekel...so I told him he could spend up to 120.

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 7:19 am
100 nis for the whole set. my father gets a set for 15 pounds in london.

shlumzmum

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 9:13 am
silber wrote:
DH bought an esrog for $200. its the middle price here.

DH ended up spending $200 too.

(btw sliber nice seeing you here)

dewyt

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 9:23 am
ummm...here in boro park on erev yomtov (which is the only time my dh has time to whip by and get a set) he gets a set for like $10- dunno how Mehudar it is, but its a fine esrog and lulav every year ( I think he has to buy the hadasim separate...?) but he spends really really not alot- we dont have the money for more and we dont need an overpriced one. if you do the mitzvah hashem is happy.

Nikki

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 9:46 am
DH spend $250 and $90 on a lulav. There is a difference thought I am not into it. My husband spends time getting an esrog. The whole thing is that the esrog can't even have on dot on it, no blemishes. He is there every day looking for the perfect esrog. He brigns it home and takes it out in the sun to make sure it is perfect.

It is Mehudar but also I think that it is the Chassan Ish which is what makes it more expensive. There is a mitzvah to get a perfect esrog and he is doing it for the mitzvah not to just throw money away.

I know that my BIL is always in Israel at this time and the price is the same. He buys it there and maybe it is $25 cheaper that's it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics