Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Excellent tutor Rec in lakewood NJ

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 5:12 pm
If someone can please recommend an amazing tutor in the lakewood area for a 6th grade girl I'd greatly appreciate it. She's very smart but due to poor education curriculum in the school she is in currently, I need to hire a tutor so she'll be at the right level for her grade. (Yes, I'm serious, and yes, it's a complicated situation 😬)

TIA

esther36

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 6:08 pm
I may have a good idea for u. What subject areas are u talking about?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 6:48 pm
Don't mean to hijack but what are current rates for a good tutor?

mamaleh

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 7:41 pm
Are you looking to get her caught up over the summer- because she is switching schools or classes, etc? Or just generally looking for someone to fill in the gaps so she won't be at a disadvantage later in life?

If it's the former, I would strongly recommend finding out if the 6th grade teacher of the school she's switching to would be interested in doing it. That way you can be sure that she is actually learning the materials she needs to know.

If it's the latter, I would still look to someone who teaches those grades (6th or 7th, because I imagine you'll want to continue the tutoring) so they have a clear grasp of what is 'usually' covered. Many tutors rely on the materials the teacher is using and merely use other techniques or supplemental materials to teach that info. You are really looking for a teacher, not a tutor.

debsey

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:21 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Are you looking to get her caught up over the summer- because she is switching schools or classes, etc? Or just generally looking for someone to fill in the gaps so she won't be at a disadvantage later in life?

If it's the former, I would strongly recommend finding out if the 6th grade teacher of the school she's switching to would be interested in doing it. That way you can be sure that she is actually learning the materials she needs to know.

If it's the latter, I would still look to someone who teaches those grades (6th or 7th, because I imagine you'll want to continue the tutoring) so they have a clear grasp of what is 'usually' covered. Many tutors rely on the materials the teacher is using and merely use other techniques or supplemental materials to teach that info. You are really looking for a teacher, not a tutor.

This is really good advice.

mamaleh

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:27 pm
debsey wrote:
This is really good advice.

Thanks! embarrassed embarrassed

debsey

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:49 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Thanks! embarrassed embarrassed

Thumbs Up

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 5:42 am
esther36 wrote:
I may have a good idea for u. What subject areas are u talking about?

Chumash, math, science, writing skills and dikduk. Basics. Which she hasn't been taught.

This is lakewood. Unfortunately not so simple to switch schools here 😬 And my daughter is very attached to her friends. It's not so black and white to just move her out at this point.

mamaleh

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:13 am
amother wrote:
Chumash, math, science, writing skills and dikduk. Basics. Which she hasn't been taught.

This is lakewood. Unfortunately not so simple to switch schools here 😬 And my daughter is very attached to her friends. It's not so black and white to just move her out at this point.

I get that about switching schools. I would still recommend a teacher of those grades (you might need/want separate people for 'English' and 'Hebrew'). Also, be careful that you aren't setting her up for more boredom in class by teaching her stuff she will be learning. It's very tricky to keep kids in a class/school and teach them at a higher level.

Sometimes it's better to think in terms of enrichment. Ex: extra science topics/experiments, extra practice in writing, keeping a journal, extra depth on the Chumash she's doing, practical math applications (figuring out the bill, multiplying recipes, etc.).

The summer after 8th grade is probably the best time to 'catch up' to her peers. Until then it should be 'fun and exciting' extras. This will also cause less resentment on her part and less negative feeling towards her school.

It's generally not a great idea for kids to be told their school isn't doing a good job (compared to other schools). It diminishes their respect for everything that they ARE being taught. Learning 'extras' is fine (no school has time to do everything with a duel curriculum). And then after 8th grade, kids get that different schools learn different things and there are things you need for THIS high school that your school didn't teach.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 7:01 am
mamaleh is really right on the money in this thread.

You could call a school like Bais Faiga and ask them if they could recommend a teacher who might tutor your daughter over the summer.

I know of a 5th grade teacher in BF who did this for a student who was transferring from another school to BF. I don't think she would appreciate me posting her name online, though.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 7:14 am
mamaleh wrote:
I get that about switching schools. I would still recommend a teacher of those grades (you might need/want separate people for 'English' and 'Hebrew'). Also, be careful that you aren't setting her up for more boredom in class by teaching her stuff she will be learning. It's very tricky to keep kids in a class/school and teach them at a higher level.

Sometimes it's better to think in terms of enrichment. Ex: extra science topics/experiments, extra practice in writing, keeping a journal, extra depth on the Chumash she's doing, practical math applications (figuring out the bill, multiplying recipes, etc.).

The summer after 8th grade is probably the best time to 'catch up' to her peers. Until then it should be 'fun and exciting' extras. This will also cause less resentment on her part and less negative feeling towards her school.

It's generally not a great idea for kids to be told their school isn't doing a good job (compared to other schools). It diminishes their respect for everything that they ARE being taught. Learning 'extras' is fine (no school has time to do everything with a duel curriculum). And then after 8th grade, kids get that different schools learn different things and there are things you need for THIS high school that your school didn't teach.

She doesn't need me to tell her she isn't being taught. She's quite smart BH and understands this herself. It's very upsetting.

I actually feel it's a lot harder to catch up as you get older. I want to get started as soon as possible so she'll be prepared for the tougher grades ahead. Plus, she needs these skills to take the high school entrance exam. Waiting till after 8th grade is kind of too late.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 12:09 pm
amother wrote:
She doesn't need me to tell her she isn't being taught. She's quite smart BH and understands this herself. It's very upsetting.

I actually feel it's a lot harder to catch up as you get older. I want to get started as soon as possible so she'll be prepared for the tougher grades ahead. Plus, she needs these skills to take the high school entrance exam. Waiting till after 8th grade is kind of too late.

Is the school's education level really so far behind the other Lakewood schools? And if so, how did you discover that?
I thought they're all more or less the same.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
Is the school's education level really so far behind the other Lakewood schools? And if so, how did you discover that?
I thought they're all more or less the same.

I've got the same suspicion about my dds school now.howdo I figure out if they're teaching what they have to?
What is on high school entrance exam?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:04 am
High school entrance exam is a joke. There's not even enough supervision going on. A niece of mine told me that there were girls sharing answers in the room she was in.

Your daughter's grades in her current school, and her teacher's and principal's opinion of her, will count way more than the entrance exam.

The exam is lots of yedios klalios, and also Hebrew skills. Math and writing skills. A smattering to try to asses your child's learning level.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics