Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby escaping changing pad/table
1  2  Next

baby's mom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 11:46 pm
help, my 7 month old wiggles herself out of the strap of the changing pad/ table and is moving non stop when I attempt to change her diaper. (I learned how to dress her while she moves around already)
any ideas of things that can keep her entertained for the few seconds that it takes Question

Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 5:19 am
maybe hang a toy above her head, or near her hands, so she can play with it.
but basically, this is what they do, move and try to get away - I sometimes have to chase my baby trying to change him (he's 16 months now)!

Tefila

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 12:08 pm
Lol pearl I have to chase them too. And forget about the changing table at 1yr what I literally have to do whilst I'm changing them is hold gently but firm their feet. Otherwise they will move and run all over both of them have fun running away diaperless so now when I change them I hold thier feet gently but firmly together then it's not such an impossible task so now I just use a changing mat and place it on the floor or whereever Tongue Out

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 12:37 pm
my 4 1/2 month old won't lie still anymore!!!! unless I sit there and "talk" to him- he's a big conversationalist. but, if he's not in the mood of a chat, then I hold his feet firmly, like freilich said, still he manages to roll over.

baby's mom

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 12:48 pm
I tried the toys, but it doesnt work and I try holding her firmly but that only makes her use more force. Usually this happens when she has a BIG diaper...echhhh, and she gets it ALL over ... Silent

mom05

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 4:29 pm
my six month old has is like a magnet you lay him down and he flips over so what works for me is ive mastered changing pampers either while he's standing in my lap or when he's face down! I'm quite proud of myself for mastering these skills! makes me feel very talented! Smile

girliesmommy

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 6:10 pm
I read this in a parenting magazine... haven't tried it yet, but I will soon:
Keep a sheet of stickers near the changing table and before you change the baby's diaper, stick one on each hand. By the time he/she has managed to get off both the stickers, you'll be done!
(I guess this will only work with an older baby)

Tefila

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 7:25 pm
lol girliesmommy thanks for that I'll try it tommorrow 8)

Pearl

Post Fri, Jul 29 2005, 3:34 am
LOL !!

raizy

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 12:00 am
my rule of tumb is small babies stick a new rattle or any toy that they didnt play with that day in both of their hands . they are so busy rattleing it they forget that I am changing them.

older kids get your hubby or older kid to hold onto their hands . or let older kids play with the babies hands patty a cake etc. I find that older kids it takes two pple to change them and if they only made small then let them stand and do it real quick.. I find if they stand they dont move as much.

sarahd

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 5:45 am
I am going to try the sticker idea too, I think. I have been having this problem since my baby was about 2-3 months old. Now he's 13 months old and a real expert at running away. If I hold his feet firmly as suggested, he flips over anyhow and ends up standing on his head, with me holding his feet like a chicken. Not fun. Stickers sounds like it might work...for the next 2-3 days anyhow.

baby's mom

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 1:37 pm
Quote:
If I hold his feet firmly as suggested, he flips over anyhow and ends up standing on his head, with me holding his feet like a chicken.

sarahd LOL that IS funny! (sorry embarrassed ) they are so solution oriented, trying to find any way they can to get out of what they dont want.

sarahd

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 2:29 pm
Yeah, it was funny the first 150 times. I'm slowly getting over the joke, though.

baby's mom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 1:01 am
oh, they find new jokes for us..stay tuned Wink

miriam

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 1:04 am
I also read in parents mag to use the baby's foot as a telephone. Make phonecalls and tickles during the diaper change.

Also, why don't you change the baby on the floor?

1stimer

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 10:46 am
ha ha! my son tries to escape out of the window whilst I am changing him (there are bars on the window) so we moved the table so he now climbs the walls.

I tried changing him on the floor but that was a disaster he just crawled of.

Now, he won't even sit down in the bath! As soon as I put him in he jumps up and walks round and round the bathtub and tries to climb out. How am I supposed to clean him. any ideas? (cleaning is ok - I mostly do that whilst he is running around the bath, but washing his hair I haven't mastered. any tips welcome)

Mommy912

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 10:58 am
For kids that don't sit still in the bath you can try a shower. They love it and they play with the stream of water while you wash their hair.

proudmom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 11:10 am
my kids hate it. If I ever want to give them a fast bath that is what I use and they cant stand it. They scream until they leave

baby's mom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 11:46 am
Quote:
Also, why don't you change the baby on the floor?

it's even easier for her to escape on the floor.
So these are the few tricks I tried lately.
I place her in the gymeny (sp?!) and she plays with the toys over her head for a few seconds.

instead of buckling her I let her play with the straps (she used to wiggle herself out of them anyways, now that entertains her for a few seconds (husbands brilliant idea)

I think I need to learn to change her while she moves... Scratching Head.

Quote:
I find if they stand they dont move as much.
not standing yet... but I think playing with something is the key and more importantly its about the speed...

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 12:47 pm
1stimer wrote:
Now, he won't even sit down in the bath! As soon as I put him in he jumps up and walks round and round the bathtub and tries to climb out. How am I supposed to clean him. any ideas? (cleaning is ok - I mostly do that whilst he is running around the bath, but washing his hair I haven't mastered. any tips welcome)

I leave the water running the whole time while my dd is in the bath. she plays with the stream- fills up cups from it, dumps those cups into other containers... she could spend hours in there. since I leave the water running, I open the drain every now and then so the water doesn't get too high. my only problem now, is that she thinks it's very funny to dump her cups of water on the bathroom floor Rolling Eyes !
so maybe just throw in some plastic cups, bottles, bowls.... or you could buy one of those water/sand wheels- those always look like fun!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics