Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Money saving tips and cutting corners please share :)
1  2  Next

cholenteater

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:06 pm
Hi! I am looking for ideas to save more money - ideas that are simple to do and that I can do if I am more aware, and do not take up temendous amount of time. As in not coupons... which I've tried and was too time consuming. I will look up coupons on retail me not and so on, but I cannot spend time each week going through coupon clip offs and so on.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

(This is for saving up I'll let you know when I buy my house LOL
Hey.... every penny counts Ya never know!)

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:09 pm
make your grocery menu based off what's on sale that week at the closest local supermarket.

Check weekly the local pharmacy sales for what you can stock up on I.e. detergent or soap, toothpaste, even cereals often can go for very cheap at rite aid or cvs

make sure all your lights and appliances are off (even plugged out if easy to do so) to save on electricity.

Do

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:34 pm
- Avoid buying ready-made products or baked goods. If you can't make it, you don't have it.
- Make pareve suppers at least once a week. Both dairy and chicken/meat are expensive.
- Use regular dishes, baking pans, etc. instead of disposables.
- Do free or low-cost trips and vacations. Nature getaways are always cheaper than the pre-packaged kind like amusement parks.
- Learn any skills you pay others to do such as washing/styling your wig, cleaning, hair-cutting, tweeze and shave instead of going for waxings, do your own nails instead of going to a salon.
- Get hand-me-down clothing for babies and little kids. They don't care about style and generally outgrow things faster than they wear them out.
- Shop clothing only during sales. And only buy what you need when you need it. Contradictory advice that works for me to cut down on spending. Wink (Sometimes you think you'll need something but if you don't buy it ahead of time then you manage without, and you see you didn't really *need* it though it would have been better to have it.)
- If you work part-time or you're a SAHM, try to earn money wherever and whenever. A tutoring job, substituting, babysitting. Dollar by dollar, it adds up.

I'll post more when I think of more.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
- Avoid buying ready-made products or baked goods. If you can't make it, you don't have it.
- Make pareve suppers at least once a week. Both dairy and chicken/meat are expensive.
- Do free or low-cost trips and vacations. Nature getaways are always cheaper than the pre-packaged kind like amusement parks.
- Learn any skills you pay others to do such as washing/styling your wig, cleaning, hair-cutting, tweeze and shave instead of going for waxings, do your own nails instead of going to a salon.
- Get hand-me-down clothing for babies and little kids. They don't care about style and generally outgrow things faster than they wear them out.
- Shop clothing only during sales. And only buy what you need when you need it. Contradictory advice that works for me to cut down on spending. Wink (Sometimes you think you'll need something but if you don't buy it ahead of time then you manage without, and you see you didn't really *need* it though it would have been better to have it.)
- If you work part-time or you're a SAHM, try to earn money wherever and whenever. A tutoring job, substituting, babysitting. Dollar by dollar, it adds up.

What are some examples of "cheaper" easy to prepare, healthy suppers?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:44 pm
We used to spend many unnecessary dollars at the dry cleaners. U can wash most things yourself (of course not a mans suit). But read the labels and it's not hard at all
We used to have much more cleaning help then we do now and She used to do all our Landry. U can easily do your own laundry (not sure if u do it now or not). But a huge money saver as well.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
What are some examples of "cheaper" easy to prepare, healthy suppers?

- filling soup, beans, vegetable side dish
- tacos with beans and salsa
- soup with ground meat or pulled chicken breast in it, served with garlic bread
- scrambled eggs, vegetable salad, fresh bread
- falafel (pita, techina, salad, sauerkraut)
- quinoa salad with crackers
- grilled cheese sandwiches. this is my go-to supper when I am short on time. You know those crazy days when you just can't get yourself together to make supper? Most poeple order in and even if you're doing pizza it can be expensive. We never order pizza. My kids love creating their own sandwiches (with avocados, tomatoes, peppers, ketchup and shredded cheese)!
- sweet potatoes are very filling and healthier than the regular white potatoes

In general, soups are a healthy, cheap, and easy way to make people feel full, so whatever you make, if you feel like it's not filling enough, make a soup.

When I do use ground meat/chicken for meatballs, patties, etc. I make it into a mixture so that I can use less for more people. Adding sauteed onions, mashed potatoes, bread crumbs, eggs and spices make it tasty while stretching.

For chicken nuggets, buy cutlets and cut them into pieces yourself. Making them into a stew (with rice, potatoes, beans, or quinoa) will help you use less chicken per person.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 9:44 pm
Another great way to save money is to breastfeed your children. saves you money in formula, doctor's visits, days off from work (when baby is sick), and babysitters (because you can't leave them too long without you LOL )

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:24 pm
I know you say couponing takes too much time but I do it and it doesn't take that much! I don't do it for everything- personal care, diapers, laundry detergent (we use a ton!) and the like I do. Also cereal. But other foods I don't find it worthwhile usually. I only cut what I know I will need and I don't even have to do the match ups! There are websites that do it for you!!

I shop sales.
Digital coupons- download store's apps and while you are waiting at the doctors office, in line somewhere etc just start clipping what you might use! No cost if you already have the phone plan. And totally portable, no remembering to bring them with you..it's all connected to your card!

Cut toilet paper for shabbos and don't use tissues (or precut!) such a waste and it's bad for your plumbing!
No paper towels (unless you are frying). I bought a bunch of microfiber cloths and just wash. I stopped buying paper towels and it saved me a lot!

And my best hint- don't do what everyone else does just because they do. Do what you think (and have the budget) to do.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:56 pm
Stop all subscriptions.

I didnt realize how much it added up to until I sat down to caclulate it. Hundreds a year.

No disposables

Walk and public transit instead of taxi (if you dont have a car)

All the rest has been mentioned.

I LOVE decorating my house.
So instead of paying $$$ that we are trying to save, I enjoy checking out lots of youtube videos (I should learn how to use pinterest, but for now its google or youtube) amd googleing DIYs.

Some of them were so beautiful I kept getting asked where they are from Smile.

Most of those were under 5 bucks.

Re shopping, I HATE shopping for myself. But what helps me keep on top of what I NEED and what I have (avoiding the impulse buy - mainly for my kids) to buy and what I dont have to buy is keeping all the clothing and super neat and very visible in the closets, like no hidden piles amd stuff.

Now before the summer, I checked all of my last years outdoor and rainy day toys. I need more sidewalk chalk, play-doh and I water toy.
We newded a pool, so I saw a kiddy pool on sale one day for 5 bucks. I got it. Its just the right size. Locally the same size was $20. Not a big deal but it does add up eventually.
So I keep it in mind, and shop it when on sale.

And hand me downs on exoensive seasonl stuff.

Like outterwear. A good warm coat (upstate NY!) can be very costly.
So I do hand me downs.

But a new shabbos maxi dress for my kid was $16! On oldnavy.com. and they had coordinating to my baby for a ful set for under $10.

Thise things I do buy new.

jkw

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 12:53 am
Read the blog Kosher on a Budget.
Best thing out there.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 2:22 am
Don't use paper towels when deep frying, put the cooked food on egg cartons. They are really absorbent of oil and you end up with an easier cleanup.

Always make a shopping list before leaving. It prevents impulse buys. (Get your kid to write it as you drive carpool)

Buy next season's clothes at the end of season sales this year. Like stock up on winter coats now. (Is storage an issue?).

amother
White

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
Another great way to save money is to breastfeed your children. saves you money in formula, doctor's visits, days off from work (when baby is sick), and babysitters (because you can't leave them too long without you LOL )

*sigh* Not everyone is able to so even though it may be cheaper it is not feasible

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
*sigh* Not everyone is able to so even though it may be cheaper it is not feasible

*sigh* When someone gives tips or suggestions, you do them if they work for you. It's exasperating to be told, no, it's not a good suggestion because *I* can't do it. If a suggestion doesn't work for you, there's no need to comment. These are not the ten commandments. Rolling Eyes

amother
White

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:35 am
amother wrote:
*sigh* When someone gives tips or suggestions, you do them if they work for you. It's exasperating to be told, no, it's not a good suggestion because *I* can't do it. If a suggestion doesn't work for you, there's no need to comment. These are not the ten commandments. Rolling Eyes

I'm not telling you it's not good but the way you said it can make someone who cannot breastfeed (and struggle financially) feel Sad

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
I'm not telling you it's not good but the way you said it can make someone who cannot breastfeed (and struggle financially) feel Sad

I'm sorry. Many of my previous suggestions can make someone feel like that if they can't do it. It's ok. You do what you can and what you can't, you don't feel guilty because you can't. It's not like you dont want to.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:53 am
put all lose coins in a bin and you will see how it collects and lots of money eventually. I have been doing this for many years and I have bought expensive items like expensive cameras and more.

op you can do it.

yamz

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 12:13 pm
Where the provider doesn't matter much, comparison shop for the services you use. For example, if you drive a car, don't automatically just renew your insurance, call a few companies and make sure you are getting the best rate. Do the same for home phone and internet service. You may be surprised by the price differences across providers for essentially the same service. You stand to save hundreds of dollars and you will not decrease your quality of life at all or put any ongoing effort into this cost saving measure.

yamz

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 12:24 pm
This tip will not be applicable to or helpful for everyone. Obviously use your discretion. I am not suggesting someone with asthma or allergies should follow these suggestions.
Be conscious of air-conditioning use:
If you have window units, remember to turn them off when you leave home and at night before bed (in the main parts of the house).
If you are home during the day, but are going to be spending the bulk your time in one space (say, a home office) keep the door closed and turn on the air conditioner in that room only.
Also if you aren't experiencing a heat wave, consider leaving the windows open in the early morning, and only turning on the air conditioning once it starts getting really hot, maybe 10am.

cholenteater

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 8:23 pm
Fabulous wrote:
make your grocery menu based off what's on sale that week at the closest local supermarket.

Check weekly the local pharmacy sales for what you can stock up on I.e. detergent or soap, toothpaste, even cereals often can go for very cheap at rite aid or cvs

make sure all your lights and appliances are off (even plugged out if easy to do so) to save on electricity.

Do

Thanks! We do the cereals on the pharmacies and that does save a lot. I'll work on the electricity I hardly make sure things are unplugged!

cholenteater

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:

Ok looks like we are doing well....
-try our best to avoid ready made foods and take out
- will tray pareve suppers, thanks! Any examples?
- use disposables as a cleaning lady costs a lot more, which happens when I get overwhelmed from the dishes in the sink that just keep piling up, will try to work on this. Maybe I can chose just cups etc so save some money but nor as overwhelming
- always do ton of fun free or very cheap activities
- shave no wax besides for eyebrows, way too scared to try on my own Smile Have girls who are learning sheital courses do my sheitals at cost price
-get hand me downs!
- try my best not to shop at all Smile
-work full time

Thanks! Your lost made me feel a bit better as I got a lot of checks on it! On the right path woohoo!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics