Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Bris

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:04 am
What's a reasonable amount to spend on it.

We are not in the tri state area, but a large oot community. Thanks.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:58 am
are you asking what is too much to spend, or what is too little to spend? Are you asking about how much of your money to spend, or how much of someone else's money to spend?

IMHO - if its a morning bris - its reasonable for the attendees to expect that you will provide enough food to fill their stomachs until noon. The rest is just details/extra

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:11 am
My money. Thanks Smile

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:18 am
Depends how.many people you prepare for
You need to pay muyil at least 500
Prob I spent at least 1000 on top of that
125-175 people X $8-10 a person
Tried not to get too involved...let my hubby take care of it.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
My money. Thanks Smile

Then assess your financial position, think about how elaborate, or not elaborate you want the function to be, and spend accordingly... and be sure people don't leave hungry if you can afford to feed them.

if you are asking what you can reasonably expect to spend? Call the person who is going to cater it and find out. Food is the biggest cost. Mohel fees vary by community, ask a neighbor. If you need to rent a hall, find out what that will cost.

I'm assuming there is no subtext to your question that involves a marital dispute.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:35 am
Who cares what is common or reasonable? If you want to serve cake and schnapps to the crowd and save money, do it.

It bothers me that people are always looking at what other people do. Do what makes sense to you.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:43 am
There is no subtext.
This is my first one and we just moved here. So just wanted to get a reasonable quote. Thanks.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:53 am
amother wrote:
There is no subtext.
This is my first one and we just moved here. So just wanted to get a reasonable quote. Thanks.

gotcha. talk to your neighbors about what options there are to cater, and make some phone calls. You can really only determine if a caterer is being 'unreasonable' with his costs if you compare to his competitor.

you may get more information here - but you'd need to disclose where you live.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:57 am
I love how people get all hot under the collar for simple questions. "Who cares??" Ugh. What's so wrong about asking to get an idea?

IME, a mohel is usually anywhere from $400-$700, but of course can be less (or free) if you are experiencing financial hardship.

The simcha room rental can be nothing (if you do it in someone's home), to a few hundred dollars (like in a shul, particularly if you are a member) to a few thousand to do it in a nicer place with a larger room capacity.

The food is typically $9-$11 a person for basic bris fair- I.e. bagels and spreads, some pastries, coffee, orange juice, etc. There's usually an additional $2 charge or so for each hot dish.

Plus some caterers will tack on a mashgiach fee, or waiter fees, (say $150 per waiter, and you need one waiter per 50 guests or st like that).

And then of course you can go nuts and add nicer table linens, flowers, decorations, etc. But most people I know do simple affairs.

Your best bet is to call a few caterers in your area and they can email you a price quote. You can comparison shop from there.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:59 am
I'm not at all American so take it with a grain of salt.
Some mohels have a price, some you give whatever, some refuse money.
You can totally do at home, or in shul but not book it so you don't pay it. We had a gorgeous room in a big shul for free because we didn't make it private.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 1:33 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I love how people get all hot under the collar for simple questions. "Who cares??" Ugh. What's so wrong about asking to get an idea?

because the word 'reasonable' is very vague without context. Its not a simple question.

OP was asking - 'what she can expect to spend' which is a reasonable thing to ask when planning a bris. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics