Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Sandals in Lakewood
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

DVOM

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 8:42 pm
Reading another thread got me thinking... I'm curious to hear some honest responses.

I live in Lakewood. In the summer I don't wear stockings, and I love to wear sandals. I like to paint my toes a color that makes me smile (right now, leaf green). I'm not a very fashionable person, but color and texture and comfort is important to me and really effects my mood.

Someone on another thread posted that in "some communities" not wearing stockings will hurt your and your children's social standing. I'm wondering how true this is. I can be a bit clueless about these types of things. I have some really wonderful friends here, even though my husband and I don't really fit the Lakewood mold. I wonder about my kids though, growing up with a mom who doesn't always recognize or care about social norms.

When you meet me or other sandal-wearing galls in the grocery store, what do you think?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 8:53 pm
Oooh thanks for opening this topic. I don't live in Lkwd but do visit in the warmer months. I never wear hose with sandals and I take very very good care of my feet. I do my own pedi's every two weeks and love my painted toes. I certainly get eyeballed in Lkwd and sometimes I notice women looking wistfully at my shiney green or blue toenails. (Just did them yesterday and the color is OPI, My Gecko Does Tricks.)

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 8:56 pm
It's not really accepted in lakewood to not cover your legs. Are your kids in school?

cnc

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 8:59 pm
DVOM wrote:
Reading another thread got me thinking... I'm curious to hear some honest responses.

I live in Lakewood. In the summer I don't wear stockings, and I love to wear sandals. I like to paint my toes a color that makes me smile (right now, leaf green). I'm not a very fashionable person, but color and texture and comfort is important to me and really effects my mood.

Someone on another thread posted that in "some communities" not wearing stockings will hurt your and your children's social standing. I'm wondering how true this is. I can be a bit clueless about these types of things. I have some really wonderful friends here, even though my husband and I don't really fit the Lakewood mold. I wonder about my kids though, growing up with a mom who doesn't always recognize or care about social norms.

When you meet me or other sandal-wearing galls in the grocery store, what do you think?

If I would meet you in the grocery store , I wouldn't think twice about your toes. I'm probably not even observant enough to notice them. That said, FWIU I can't imagine a mainstream Lakewood school being fine with it... (and many other things that I think are perfectly okay !)

DVOM

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
It's not really accepted in lakewood to not cover your legs. Are your kids in school?

Yup

I have 4 boys.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:18 pm
I guess I would think that you aren't from lakewood if I would see you here!

BTW where do your boys go to school?

There are all types in lakewood these days .... pretty much anything goes though

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:21 pm
amother wrote:
I guess I would think that you aren't from lakewood if I would see you here!

BTW where do your boys go to school?

There are all types in lakewood these days .... pretty much anything goes though

Yes Lakewood is know for its diversity

respectfully, a community that has some women who don't cover their legs, and some who do, it's not really "all types"

Seriously

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:36 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Yes Lakewood is know for its diversity

respectfully, a community that has some women who don't cover their legs, and some who do, it's not really "all types"

LOL!

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:41 pm
A few years ago I think people would have been more horrified, these days I see more and more women without stockings. I personally wouldn't think twice, but it depends where in Lakewood you live, and who your friends are. There are definitely developments in Lakewood where if you don't fit the mold 100%, the neighbors won't let their kids play with yours.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:53 pm
If I'm not mistaken it may be a real case of an established minhag hamakom in this situation (covering feet and legs in Lakewood), which would be incorrect to go against even if you're coming from a different place where it isn't a minhag hamakom.

One can say that lakewood isn't that uniform anymore, yet covering legs is still a universally accepted norm here. Native lakewooders, or those who've been living here longer feel free to correct me.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:56 pm
No one cares. Lots of ppl just do what they want.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:02 pm
I wouldn't care, but the schools might care.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:08 pm
DVOM wrote:
Yup

I have 4 boys.

Personally I couldn't care less and don't dress lakewoody either, but there is no principal in Lakewood that would be happy meeting you like that.

Seriously

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:10 pm
Ok I gotta admit..the first time I read the title of this thread I swear it was called "scandals in lakewood" but perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:13 pm
It is very much accepted in many areas of Lakewood to cover the legs fully. Granted, there are many areas now in Lakewood where this may not be so, however in many areas of Lakewood, walking that way will mean that you are breaching the cultural norms of the neighborhoods you visit.

Just like I would not visit a religious Moslem community in a way that offends their sensibilities, nor would I attend a Christian communal event wearing something that would offend their sensibilities, so too, I would not like anyone to visit my neighborhood where I am raising my kids in a way that they knowingly offend my sensibilities. Yes, there are certain stores I no longer frequent (it is hard to tell my 8 year old that she needs to cover her knees when the saleslady has a hard time with this herself!)

Sometimes, I think that in the entire Lakewood, the ones that 'get it' the most are my 7 employees of various Spanish nationalities who are so respectful of our community's standards.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:19 pm
Seriously wrote:
Ok I gotta admit..the first time I read the title of this thread I swear it was called "scandals in lakewood" but perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me

It would have been locked in a NY minute.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
It is very much accepted in many areas of Lakewood to cover the legs fully. Granted, there are many areas now in Lakewood where this may not be so, however in many areas of Lakewood, walking that way will mean that you are breaching the cultural norms of the neighborhoods you visit.

Just like I would not visit a religious Moslem community in a way that offends their sensibilities, nor would I attend a Christian communal event wearing something that would offend their sensibilities, so too, I would not like anyone to visit my neighborhood where I am raising my kids in a way that they knowingly offend my sensibilities. Yes, there are certain stores I no longer frequent (it is hard to tell my 8 year old that she needs to cover her knees when the saleslady has a hard time with this herself!)

Sometimes, I think that in the entire Lakewood, the ones that 'get it' the most are my 7 employees of various Spanish nationalities who are so respectful of our community's standards.

Why can't you tell your daughter (if she observes or asks) "we cover our knees (hair, elbows whatever) but not everyone does" ?

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:21 pm
amother wrote:

Sorry but as a lifelong Lakewood resident I have to say - oh please. Not wearing stockings is impurifying your sheltered kids? Growing up here, some frum employees in my school didn't cover their hair and dressed like modern orthodox, as they were. No one even noticed. What has become of my town?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:23 pm
While everyone is free to live their life as they choose, I agree that it is proper to follow the norms in a community, and in Lakewood, that would certainly mean covering your legs.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry but as a lifelong Lakewood resident I have to say - oh please. Not wearing stockings is impurifying your sheltered kids? Growing up here, some frum employees in my school didn't cover their hair and dressed like modern orthodox, as they were. No one even noticed. What has become of my town?

I might not be lifelong, but I have been in Lakewood for more than 2/3 of my life. Starting here at the impressionable age of 12.

We must have gone to different schools!

P.S. If you go back a little further than both of us you will find lots of colorful things in Lakewood's past - such as co-ed schools & mixed dances. I sure hope that that does not come back in vogue too soon. Though at the rate we are going...
Booking my tickets to Antarctica now Wink
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics