Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
What kind of internet connection do you have?
1  2  Next

greeneyes

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 4:37 pm
When we signed up for internet service with cablevision, we were told that it would be $29.95/month for the first 6 months, and then $49.95 after that. Since I needed the internet for school at that point, we signed up with the intention of canceling at 6 months, and then finding a different provider.

In a couple of days it'll be 6 months....sooo....I'm trying to see what my other options are. (I don't want to pay $50 a month! Smile ) Verizon says they don't have DSL in our area, so am I correct in assuming that my only other option is dial up?

If yes, what can I expect from a dial up connection? Will it be annoyingly slow? Or not too different from my cable connection? What has your experience been?

Thanks so so much! Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 7:16 pm
call the company to see what it's gonna be at that time. we had such a plan also and our bill went up, but when I asked to downgrade our phone service for example, they told me that if I changed it, the internet would be more, for example.

being that I used to pay verizon over a hundred a month for just the phone, whatever they take is an improvement.

loveit

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 8:57 pm
Check around, there should be more than just verizon that offers DSL. $50 sounds like a lot? I assume that's for cable, not DSL?

Where are you located? In LA we could have either used SBC which I think became ATT, but I opted to use a provider that was local to my parents 7 hours away but for some reason they had a contract with SBC to also provide service to LA even though our phone line was SBC.

I haven't used dial up in almost 10 years, I think (wow I feel old at 24!) but I"m sure it's going to feel painfully slow not to mention the other cons:

-Not being able to use the internet and phone simultaneously
-Many web pages are designed for high speed internet connection, not all will have an option to view text only or options for lower internet speeds.

Especially since you are in school, it will be very frustrating to do reserach with a slow connection. We had the 1.5 speed for DSL, but we recently upgraded to 2.5 (or whatever is the next fastest) because even the 1.5 didn't feel fast enough!

Also, images and video may not show or work on a slower connection. Look around for other DSL offer from other companies, it shouldn't cost more than 25-35 a month for access although it may mean you need to get a phone line from a different community.

Good luck!!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 10:49 pm
If you're located in Brooklyn, as it says on your profile, it's impossible verizon doesn't offer DSL. Maybe check again with them. Oh, and about dial up - I'd rather not have anything at all. It's absolutely nerve wrecking!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 10:53 pm
I also have Cablevison. When I originally wanted to get internet I was unable to get DSL as well so my only option was cable.
I have the "triple play" its internet, phone and tv and the first year was about $115 with all the fees and taxes included. Now that my year is over im paying around $150 a month.
I didnt know there is a way to get only internet. Is it directly thru cablevision or a third party company?
As far as switching to dial-up, after using cable I cant even used DSL without feeling how slow it is, let alone dial-up. You literally need nerves of steel to be able to use dial-up. Its like using the telegraph in the 21st century.
My suggestion is to cancel your service with cablevision and then a couple days later open a new account under another person's name, like if its on your name now, put it on your husband's name or someone else living in your house, that way you can get the first 3 months cheaper again. I know people that have done this. (Its easier to do this by yourself without actually getting an installation guy to come down and set it up, it can avoid problems)

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:02 pm
I use cablevision, but am considering verizon fios (fiberoptics.) it's faster for the most part, and $10-$20/month cheaper.

dial up- I wouldn't get it. it's pretty slow, even with a 56K connection. I use dial up sometimes from the house when my broadband is having problems, and it frustrates me to no end. plus, time=money so faster speed evens out.

I also saw that verizon has high speed internet, which is like 3 times faster than 56K which doesn't seem like it would be so annoyingly slow. but any downgrade from what you have you're going to notice.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:05 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I use cablevision, but am considering verizon fios (fiberoptics.) it's faster for the most part, and $10-$20/month cheaper.

dial up- I wouldn't get it. it's pretty slow, even with a 56K connection. I use dial up sometimes from the house when my broadband is having problems, and it frustrates me to no end. plus, time=money so faster speed evens out.

I also saw that verizon has high speed internet, which is like 3 times faster than 56K which doesn't seem like it would be so annoyingly slow. but any downgrade from what you have you're going to notice.

Are you sure you can get verizon fios in your area? cuz its a considerabley new service and isnt available in all areas.

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:24 pm
definitely. they came door to door trying to pitch it after they ran the lines, and my next door neighbor already has it.

MrsLeo

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:25 pm
nicole81 wrote:
definitely. they came door to door trying to pitch it after they ran the lines, and my next door neighbor already has it.

Really? Where in Brooklyn are you?

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:26 pm
yeah used to have dial-up with free NetZero ... but needed DSL for kids home school program ... now we are spoiled ... also sbc switched to AT&T and the prices went up too ... but not that much ... call them up and say you need a cheaper plan ... sometimes it works ...

Bzgirl

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:30 pm
amother wrote:
If you're located in Brooklyn, as it says on your profile, it's impossible verizon doesn't offer DSL. Maybe check again with them. Oh, and about dial up - I'd rather not have anything at all. It's absolutely nerve wrecking!

I used to have verizon dsl in brooklyn, till I moved a few [b]blocks away, and verizon dsl was no longer available.
I now use Exchange Telecom, (dsl) it is just as fast as Verizon dsl....they use a different network, so even if Verizon is not available in your area, try them. I pay $14.95 for the lowest speed! It's wonderful and fast http://www.xchangetele.com/ (877) 853-3443.

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:30 pm
mill basin

roza

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:59 pm
the way to save is - get a good internet connection (cable or DSL), means more money but instead of regular phone line, use this good and reliable inernet connection to get VoIP - voice over IP (internet) phone - much cheaper, and unlimited long distance.
we use cable (Cox Cable), no DSL in our area.
dial up is an old technology, u can make coffee or tea while the page is loading

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
I also have Cablevison....Now that my year is over im paying around $150 a month.

Amother, I pay $126.50 a month after the initial year. Why are you paying more? Don't be shy - PM me and I can show you how to trim your bill without it really hurting the entertainment you are getting.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 11:10 am
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:
I also have Cablevison....Now that my year is over im paying around $150 a month.

Amother, I pay $126.50 a month after the initial year. Why are you paying more? Don't be shy - PM me and I can show you how to trim your bill without it really hurting the entertainment you are getting.

I have a DVR box so thats $10 more a month plus taxes and fees on top of that.
I just looked at my last bill and the exact numbder is $137.07. So its same as you with $10 extra for the DVR. When I wrote $150 I was just estimating.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 11:15 am
there are plenty of ways to cut bills ... like not having cable at all ... but obviously she wants it ... sometimes you can call the company and ask them for a better deal - especially if they have a commercial for a better deal and yours is higher ...

amother

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 11:19 am
greenfire wrote:
there are plenty of ways to cut bills ... like not having cable at all ... but obviously she wants it ... sometimes you can call the company and ask them for a better deal - especially if they have a commercial for a better deal and yours is higher ...

Been there, done that. The commercials are for new customers only. The only thing that can possibly work is to cancel it and a few days later sign up under a different name.The only thing is ur stuck with nothing for a few days.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 12:40 pm
Amother, with charges like that, I'll bet you are getting the IO channels. If you can live without them, it's $10 more per month left in your pocket.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 12:46 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Amother, with charges like that, I'll bet you are getting the IO channels. If you can live without them, it's $10 more per month left in your pocket.

What are IO channels? I have basic cable. I pay the extra 10 bucks for the recorder cuz all the good shows that I watch are on at a time that I cant watch tv. I watch really late like 12 or 1am so my only option is to record. also with the recorder I dont feel like I addicted cuz I can watch whenever I am able to without interferring with my responsibilities as a wife and mother.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 12:59 pm
Amother, if you want details, PM me. don't be shy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics