Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Best tips for packing and moving

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 8:33 am
Please share your ideas, tips of do's and don'ts when packing up and moving to another house .. tia

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:29 am
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....17578

Check out this thread. I'm the amother with the numbered list. Any more questions, I'll gladly share with you what worked for us.

mame1

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:32 am
Label your boxes. Not with the content necessarily but at least with the room that they're going to. My tip for packing clothing is to lay it all out on a sheet and lay it in the car that way. Don't waste boxes on clothing. Those are my two tips.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:37 am
each box got a colored paper. The kitchen was purple, the living room was green, the bathroom was orange, and each bedroom had its own color, and the hallway closet had its own color.

unpacking was easy as pie because each color was placed in the matching room.

on top of that, as I was packing, I wrote on each box what is in there. This came in very handy when at the last minute our apartment fell through and we had to wait four more months to move. At least we knew which box to open for a pair of winter tights, rather than open all the boxes to try to find it.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....17578

Check out this thread. I'm the amother with the numbered list. Any more questions, I'll gladly share with you what worked for us.

I'm the OP of the thread you linked- I have another tip based on our recent move:
Take a picture of each bookcase so you have some idea of where the books fit, especially if you'll be removing the shelves for the move itself and will need to figure out what distances to space them. I wasted about an hour moving shelves up and down trying to figure out an arrangement that worked. At a minimum, tape or pencil marks where the shelves should go.

Miri7

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the OP of the thread you linked- I have another tip based on our recent move:
Take a picture of each bookcase so you have some idea of where the books fit, especially if you'll be removing the shelves for the move itself and will need to figure out what distances to space them. I wasted about an hour moving shelves up and down trying to figure out an arrangement that worked. At a minimum, tape or pencil marks where the shelves should go.

We did this, too: labeled bookcase A, shelf 1, 2, 3 and so on. We used painter tape to mark where the shelves went. Unpacking our books was a snap and helped us get rid of a lot of boxes in just a couple of hours.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 3:05 pm
Thank you ! Great ideas

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 5:40 pm
Label your boxes in each corner so that you could see it from either angle (and so can the movers)

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 8:18 pm
Label the boxes with color coded label, each color is a different room. Hang a paper on the front door stating which color is which room so the movers put the boxes right in the room where they belong.
Number each box & write down a list of what's in each box.
Don't put sefarim in boxes, very hard to lift. Stack them in piles of 8-10 & wrap in Saran Wrap.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating