Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
One day in Philly- things to do, places to eat
1  2  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 1:00 pm
Title says it all. We'll be in Philadelphia for around 12 hours with no children. What are some fun activities to do, specifically stuff that we wouldn't be able to do with toddlers? We have seen the historical part already and are looking for some kind of physical activity.

Any nicer places to eat dinner at?

TIA

siyata dishmaya

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 1:02 pm
segwaying near the liberty bell? I would love to know of places to eat as well since we spend a lot of time near the hospital there

doctorima

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 1:26 pm
It's not physical, but the Museum of Jewish American History is great, and the Constitution Museum is also supposed to be very good. You could go to Longwood Gardens as well.

little_mage

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 1:58 pm
If you want to do something physical, the Schuylkill River trail would be nice to walk or rent a bike on. If you're going to be downtown, your best bet for food is Mama's Vegatarian, but I wouldn't call it a nice place, tasty, but not nice. If you come out to Lower Marion, the Citron and Rose Tavern just opened for a nice, meat supper.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 2:17 pm
Thanks for the suggestions! Schuylkill has boating as well?

siyata dishmaya

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 2:20 pm
any idea where and what hechsher the food is anywhere?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 2:21 pm
This looks cool:

http://www.bigredpedaltours.com/

Or a bike tour:

https://www.google.com/search?.....=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2

You could visit the park houses, but I don't know of any official tours this time of year.

http://www.philly.com/philly/n......html

(The Strawberry Mansion area, named for the house, used to be one of the most vibrant Jewish communities in the region. Going near there makes me sad.)

Go down to Penn's Landing

http://www.visitphilly.com/art.....ront/

Or, if you want to go outside Philly, Longwood Gardens

https://longwoodgardens.org/

Valley Forge

https://www.nps.gov/vafo/index.htm

SpottedBanana

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 2:23 pm
siyata dishmaya wrote:
any idea where and what hechsher the food is anywhere?

Hechsher is mostly Keystone-K, the local vaad here trusted by everyone including the members of the Community Kollel. Google Maps can tell you where all the restaurants are. The Dairy Cafe is also very classy and nice.

siyata dishmaya

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 2:25 pm
wow! thanks! like I said, we are often in philly and are left hungry, so thanks for your help. if anyone has more specific address or phone numbers that would be great.

SpottedBanana

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 2:32 pm
siyata dishmaya wrote:
wow! thanks! like I said, we are often in philly and are left hungry, so thanks for your help. if anyone has more specific address or phone numbers that would be great.

If you are at the hospital (I assume you mean CHOP or HUP) during the school year there is also Penn Hillel under the vaad, but it is $20 a meal all you can eat. It is at 39th and Locust. There are also minyanim there, though the mechitza is see through.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 3:59 pm
Which would you recommend for meaty dinner- Citrus and Rose Tavern or Star of David?

saralem

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 5:23 pm
the Dairy is closed right now. Personally, I think the food is way better at Star of David, but The Tavern has better ambience. Tavern is also more expensive. Tavern also has a beautiful bar. With kids--Star of David would be my choice.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 7:56 pm
siyata dishmaya wrote:
segwaying near the liberty bell? I would love to know of places to eat as well since we spend a lot of time near the hospital there

I also spend a lot of time at chop. Mamas vegetarian has unbelievable falafel! And Star of David is delicious!

SpottedBanana

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:00 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I also spend a lot of time at chop. Mamas vegetarian has unbelievable falafel! And Star of David is delicious!

JOOC, why would you drive to Star of David when Penn is right there? If you come by I'd love to meet you IRL, I'll be the only lady with a head covering but no baby (I hope you won't have to CHOP anymore though Sad )

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:03 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
JOOC, why would you drive to Star of David when Penn is right there? If you come by I'd love to meet you IRL, I'll be the only lady with a head covering but no baby (I hope you won't have to CHOP anymore though Sad )

Because we were on our way back from king of Prussia

siyata dishmaya

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:22 pm
my car goes there on automatic drive by now Smile appointments lined up through october! would love to meet you although I hope you dont need to be there again.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:35 pm
siyata dishmaya wrote:
my car goes there on automatic drive by now Smile appointments lined up through october! would love to meet you although I hope you dont need to be there again.

Unfortunately, I'm going to need to be there for the next 18 years or so.

siyata dishmaya

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:37 pm
oh boy! I really feel for you! I have seven years ahead of me... are you in and out? is this a chronic or genetic condition? feel free not to answer Smile

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:43 pm
siyata dishmaya wrote:
oh boy! I really feel for you! I have seven years ahead of me... are you in and out? is this a chronic or genetic condition? feel free not to answer Smile

Okay. Feeling free. 😀

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 5:09 pm
Bumping this thread WAY up! Any really fun things to do with hubby? This time of year? No boring museumy stuff Laugh
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics