Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
"Why This Orthodox Layering Trend Has to Stop"
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 2:01 pm
Chayalle wrote:
OK thanks. Something to keep in mind, should the need arise!

It's funny what we consider expensive.

I bought the dress in Mezzo (Brooklyn) because I had a few occasions, niece wedding on one side, nephew bar mitzvah on other side, etc. Thought I'd easily find a shell because it appeared navy. Then nothing worked! Black shells made the dress color look off, navy shells looked glaringly blue..... by then, I couldn't return it anymore, and I really did like the dress. Shell Station recommended a charcoal gray shell, which looked OK, but brought down the elegance of the dress. When I dyed the shell to match, it made the whole dress look unified. The look didn't scream "dress over shell." It just looked good.

But when I bought the dress, if I knew I'd end up spending another 50 or so dollars on it, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 2:08 pm
debsey wrote:
It's funny what we consider expensive.

I bought the dress in Mezzo (Brooklyn) because I had a few occasions, niece wedding on one side, nephew bar mitzvah on other side, etc. Thought I'd easily find a shell because it appeared navy. Then nothing worked! Black shells made the dress color look off, navy shells looked glaringly blue..... by then, I couldn't return it anymore, and I really did like the dress. Shell Station recommended a charcoal gray shell, which looked OK, but brought down the elegance of the dress. When I dyed the shell to match, it made the whole dress look unified. The look didn't scream "dress over shell." It just looked good.

But when I bought the dress, if I knew I'd end up spending another 50 or so dollars on it, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

If you take the cost of the dress and divide it by the number of uses, would you have bought it?

That's how I was looking at this. I'm from a big family on both sides, B"AH. If I can wear something a few times, it's worth the cost.

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 2:20 pm
Chayalle wrote:
If you take the cost of the dress and divide it by the number of uses, would you have bought it?

That's how I was looking at this. I'm from a big family on both sides, B"AH. If I can wear something a few times, it's worth the cost.

In this situation, I wouldn't have. The dress was already more expensive than I had really budgeted for. The extra 50.00 would have been a tipping point to say no. But once I had spent the money, it became a way of recouping a loss. It did look nice, though, and if I have any occasions this year, I'll be able to wear it again.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:07 pm
debsey wrote:
Sounds lovely, Chayelle. I agree about lycra shells. I find the 3/4 sleeve ones to be most comfortable and flattering on my arms. I find modal to be very hot and uncomfortable, but my teenage daughter loves them. Maybe it's a generation thing?

Btw, you can always take a Shell Station shell and dye it to match a gown or dress. Last year, I had a cap-sleeve dress that was just a very weird shade of navy, too black to be navy and too blue to be black. Every shell I tried to find just didn't work. I ended up dying a shell to match and it looked perfect.

That's what my bridesmaids did at my wedding, instead of building up their gowns.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:21 pm
debsey wrote:
Not really. Maybe 25.00 for the dyeing, and whatever the white shell cost.

I've never dyed a shell but from what I've heard that's a great price! Where did you have it done?

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I've never dyed a shell but from what I've heard that's a great price! Where did you have it done?

a dry cleaners in Toms River

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:27 pm
debsey wrote:
a dry cleaners in Toms River

Thanks!
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics