Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shells for those with wide arms that don't cling?

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 10:08 am
I am a shapely woman and have wide arms. most shells hug my arms and I have been trying to find shells that don't cling. Anyone find?

Blessing1

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 10:21 am
Anna Meyer shells are great.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 10:59 am
Thanks! where do you get them in the tristate area?

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 12:10 pm
they're called hanes cotton long-sleeve t-shirts for women ... plastic unbreathable shells are a joke

almost

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 12:47 pm
Ricci Fashions.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 1:09 pm
S&w sells the Anna Meyer shells, I think Tauber's may also sell them. Ask around at the women's clothing stores im sure others sell them as well.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 5:28 pm
thanks, appreciate all replies.

any other suggestions for shells that are thicker not clingy material?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:05 pm
I don't really understand the question. Aren't you just looking for a long-sleeved t-shirt?

A shell is by definition thinner and clingy.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:
I don't really understand the question. Aren't you just looking for a long-sleeved t-shirt?

I agree. I think a shell differs from a tee shirt in that it's meant to blend in with the body, and not stand away from the skin and be looser. Shells are like a slipcover to prevent skin from being visible.
If you want one that looser for Tzniyus, try bunching up the sleeves - like 3/4 length or whatever so that there are folds of fabric and creases on your upper arm, and it won't look like it's "painted on", and won't show every muscle and bulge.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:40 pm
The lingerie shop shells

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 6:44 am
amother wrote:

Not davka. In Israel it's much easier to find.
If that definition is true that means a shell would be not tzniyus by definiton of that halacha not to wear tight clothing.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:23 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Anna Meyer shells are great.

The Anna Meyer shells are indeed great, but they're out of business so they might not be easily available.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:32 am
I like the lycra Jacomino (sold in Elzees - they ship) shells. I get a size bigger than I wear and they are loose.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 8:11 am
amother wrote:
The Anna Meyer shells are indeed great, but they're out of business so they might not be easily available.

They are out of buissness? Oh gosh that isn't good..... All my black shells are theirs.... They had better last me. I love them

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 8:51 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Not davka. In Israel it's much easier to find.
If that definition is true that means a shell would be not tzniyus by definiton of that halacha not to wear tight clothing.

In that case I think the design of a shell is inherently untzniyus. If you are thin you can get away with going up a size or two, but if you aren't you might not be able to. (Could be they are made by certain frum companies to be loose. I don't know if them)

About the Tzniyus factor- when shells first came out, my teachers and principals were not happy with them at all. Also, some hold (including me ) that you can wear tight sleeves- just not a shirt that's tight around the torso.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
In that case I think the design of a shell is inherently untzniyus. If you are thin you can get away with going up a size or two, but if you aren't you might not be able to. (Could be they are made by certain frum companies to be loose. I don't know if them)

About the Tzniyus factor- when shells first came out, my teachers and principals were not happy with them at all. Also, some hold (including me ) that you can wear tight sleeves- just not a shirt that's tight around the torso.

Sleevless shells still work, and are AMAZING for things that have a bit lower neckline.
Also, I find many shells that aren't tight aorund the arms, at least where I live...

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 1:57 pm
amother wrote:

I'm quite heavy but I get the plus size shells from shell station in Lycra or Cotton and they are not tight at all (the Modal fabric I wouldnt wear unless it was fully covered). I've even worn the colored cotton ones as T-shirts alone in the summer.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:

I learned (high school Halacha teacher) that the shape of the arm being revealed by a shell is not a problem, as long as the arm is covered. So wearing a shell with looser sleeves is not a Halacha.

This is not true for the torso, as you say - there, one must not wear overly tight, shape-revealing clothes.

As with all areas of tznius, ask your LOR.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics