Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Fashion questions for dummies (in the tri state area)

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 11:18 pm
what do kids wear to a relatives wedding next week? Their summer clothing with summer shabbos shoes?? I really don't know these things ....

and when is the official time for winter shabbos clothing? Is it the first days of succos? Last yr the first days were SOOOOO hot - in the 80's. I dressed my girls in summer shabbos and much to their dismay, all the neighbors went out in their new winter things! I don't want to miss the boat again for my kids sake.

I always say there should be a rule book (like when to start wearing black or nude tights)... why don't I ever know these things??

And why are straight black skirts not in style? Why does the skirt have to be A lined? I don't look good in A lined skirts but noticed that no one is wearing straight but me! Am I right?

bigsis144

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 11:32 pm
I'm am not in the tri-state area, nor am I fashionable, but I'm happy that a-line skirts are back in style. They are so much easier to walk/get in and out of the car/climb stairs in!

I still have my straight black skirt, though, because some tops look better with that silhouette on the bottom, and because I can't afford to replace my wardrobe every time a new trend comes out Wink

crust

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
what do kids wear to a relatives wedding next week? Their summer clothing with summer shabbos shoes?? I really don't know these things ....

and when is the official time for winter shabbos clothing? Is it the first days of succos? Last yr the first days were SOOOOO hot - in the 80's. I dressed my girls in summer shabbos and much to their dismay, all the neighbors went out in their new winter things! I don't want to miss the boat again for my kids sake.

I always say there should be a rule book (like when to start wearing black or nude tights)... why don't I ever know these things??

And why are straight black skirts not in style? Why does the skirt have to be A lined? I don't look good in A lined skirts but noticed that no one is wearing straight but me! Am I right?

I wear what I want.
This morning was a freezing day. I had no problem wearing winter things.
Of course my kids start wearing new things on Rosh Hashanah. They can barely wait!

And then if its hot? Some change to thier summer robes and Some choose to suffer. Smile

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 2:24 am
I know one rule, and it seems like nobody follows it anymore. No white after labor day.

DrMom

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 3:23 am
Keep in mind that if the wedding is indoors, it may be heavily air-conditioned.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 8:15 am
amother wrote:

I wear straight black skirts. The other ones make me look fat. If it's 80s on succos, you can put on their winter clothes, but summer it down. Example: shorts socks and not tights. Last year my baby had bloomer for winter so I put them on without the tights. Boys wear their new shirts without the sweater or blazer and roll up the sleeves, etc... I hope this helps.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:57 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I wear straight black skirts. The other ones make me look fat. If it's 80s on succos, you can put on their winter clothes, but summer it down. Example: shorts socks and not tights. Last year my baby had bloomer for winter so I put them on without the tights. Boys wear their new shirts without the sweater or blazer and roll up the sleeves, etc... I hope this helps.

everything you are saying makes sense .... I feel the same about a-lined skirts - I have big thighs and I'm short so I look fat in that style. Straight black skirts are more concealing but the Jewish stores took them off the racks and are only stocked with a-lined!

About succos clothing - what would you have done for girls - 6,8 yr olds? Last succos I bought them heavy wool like outfits ... by the 2nd days it was fine to wear but how could I have put them on in the 80's? But yes, they stood out in their summer things. I think that other yrs I bought them lighter weight outfits (dark colors) so they were able to wear.

Also what about a wedding next week? Summer things for girls? Summer shabbos shoes?

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 10:11 pm
I would follow the weather not the holiday in terms of dress.

Shoshana37

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 10:51 pm
Dress according to the weather and of course no white after Labor Day for ladies only

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 11:12 pm
Are you calling me a dummy?

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
everything you are saying makes sense .... I feel the same about a-lined skirts - I have big thighs and I'm short so I look fat in that style. Straight black skirts are more concealing but the Jewish stores took them off the racks and are only stocked with a-lined!

About succos clothing - what would you have done for girls - 6,8 yr olds? Last succos I bought them heavy wool like outfits ... by the 2nd days it was fine to wear but how could I have put them on in the 80's? But yes, they stood out in their summer things. I think that other yrs I bought them lighter weight outfits (dark colors) so they were able to wear.

Also what about a wedding next week? Summer things for girls? Summer shabbos shoes?

Hmmmm... I get my kids a lot of clothes, so I am always able to put something together. Regarding the wedding, it really depends what the outfits look like. If you post a picture, maybe I can give you an idea.

dancingqueen

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:

Disclaimer: I'm not part of the frum fashion world (Brooklyn monsey Lakewood) but I am fashionable.

-if you are larger hipped/thighs then I bet you would look great in an a line skirt with a shirt tucked in and a belt to define your waist.
-this time of year is still the fringes of summer so I would dress your girls in summery dresses with a cardigan. But you can call your fam and see what they're wearing to the wedding.
-if it's in the 80s on succos it's crazy to wear wool imo.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 12:04 am
And why do you have to only be part of the tristate area to be fashionable?

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 12:09 am
amother wrote:

You can be fashionable anywhere, but what is fashionable in the tri state area may not be the same as what is fashionable in Paris (the fashion capital of the world, but nonetheless maybe different than what is fashionable to the frummy world in NY/NJ).

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 12:09 am
amother wrote:

Seriously, u need to relax.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:48 am
amother wrote:
Are you calling me a dummy?

no, I'm the dummy -op

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:56 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
You can be fashionable anywhere, but what is fashionable in the tri state area may not be the same as what is fashionable in Paris (the fashion capital of the world, but nonetheless maybe different than what is fashionable to the frummy world in NY/NJ).

Actually,
"Frum" children's clothing in the Tristate area is based on the latest European fashion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics