Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"You're offered a three-month total exemption from Torah...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 8:55 pm
zaq wrote:
Ladies. Get over yourselves. Jews don't have a monopoly on G-d. "Nonjew" is not synonymous with "idolater devoid of any moral compass or decency." There are many nonjews who believe deeply in G-d and live lives full of faith. Just because a person does not have the gift and

Agree. I don't understand why people keep saying they would lose their connection to G-d. Even if I had a free pass for three months, I would still talk to G-d and believe in Him. What does wearing tank tops have to do with believing in G-d?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 8:58 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I already do those things...

I do too, but I recognize that many here do not.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
To whom do non-Jews turn to in challenging times? ...

Try communicating with some you may be surprised at their answers.

cbsp

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:13 pm
doctorima wrote:
I would put on my left shoe before my right shoe.

Reminds me of this :

(may be offensive language and otherwise. It was a Purim parody)

https://youtu.be/h1-f9p4kmbg

amother
Red

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:49 pm
Would Drop these in an instant:

Tznius

Hair covering (Yeah, my expensive European hair wig)

Harchakos although I'd wanna keep 2 weeks off for the excitement of mikva night.

Kosher food and Minyan while on vacation.

Loshon Hora...... I'd love to be able to gossip for once, guilt free.

Having to wait between meat and dairy.

Pesach cleaning.

Socialize with men in a relaxed, light setting. Not that I have an interest for anything beyond hanging out and having fun.

I have no interest in treif food either.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
cannot even entertain the thought of it ...
SCARY - to live life without any guidelines. Rachmana Litzlan.
EVEN MORE SCARY - I need the constant security that Hashem is Watching over me. don't even want to imagine, not even for a millisecond, chas v'Shalom, life without this.
gave me the shivers

Really?! You think non-Jews don't believe in G-d? You think they are not moral people? They don't live like animals. Many are educated, cultured, and strive to be better people or make a difference. The question isn't asking if Hashem is gone.

It's asking what you would do with some freedom.

Again, since most people on here are married, many of the things wanting to be done are as rational, married adults. If you asked a group of teens, I'm sure there would be a lot more answers regarding s-xuality or experimentation and not just stopping to cover hair.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:42 am
relish wrote:
I just want to add that in the days before Yom Kippur, I pray that Hashem should look at the Nashim tzidkaniot who do His will just because He commanded them to. That is it! No other reason!
It's amazing!

I'm not sure if I should bring the wig thing into this, (so shoot me now) but Hashem look at how much your women sacrifice in order to keep the Torah.
They wear sheitels because you commanded them to cover their hair! It's obvious! Many women expressed that if there was no Torah, one of the first things they would drop is their wigs. They don't do it for the glamor! They make their wigs nice so they can feel good about themselves, thereby spreading goodness in their worlds.

How lucky I am to be part of such a special nation!

No relish.. I'd say that aint a good idea to go there..
But yes.. Hashem has what to be proud of!

hila

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:47 am
I cant imagine giving anything up. Mitzvot are so part of me that I cant separate them from me.

As for all the food stuff - being in EY it is fairly irrelevant. Almost any fancy food is available here in kosher form.

OK I would only keep one hour from meat to milk - like the Dutch. Lots of times I just dont eat meat so that I dont have to wait 6 hours for my cuppa tea.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:50 am
amother wrote:
It makes me cringe to just imagine going through a nisayon without the inner knowledge - the emunah and bitachon and inner rock-like belief and security that Hashem is Protecting me and Watching over me, and Doing what is good for me.
And that's the difference between a non-Jew and a Believing Jew.

To whom do non-Jews turn to in challenging times?

And pls. don't respond with facts of non-Jewish religious faith. I DON'T want to read about it.

There is only ONE G-D, and that is Hashem Yisborach. Hashem Echod Ushmo Echod.

Why would you not be able to have that bitachon if you were given an exemption? In this hypothetical scenario, G-d is protecting you because He granted you this exemption. You can talk to him, and be close to him.

Last edited by InnerMe on Wed, Sep 27 2017, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:46 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Agree. I don't understand why people keep saying they would lose their connection to G-d. Even if I had a free pass for three months, I would still talk to G-d and believe in Him. What does wearing tank tops have to do with believing in G-d?

I'm glad and I admire you that you are so certain of your actions in this case.

I, for one, pray that I not be tested chas v'Shalom with such a scenario. Even though I also constantly talk to Hashem, and yearn for His Closeness to me e.t.c

The yetzer hara is ever so wily and always seeking to trip the person up.

It says that a person should not believe in himself (re doing an aveiroh) until the day of his death.
B/c as a person approaches death and the shaking fear of facing the Ribono Shel Olam (after 120,) a person in that state usually doesn't start thinking of going against the Torah. He's truthful with himself - his actions, and with Hashem.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 3:06 am
InnerMe wrote:
Why would you not be able to have that bitachon if you were given an exemption? In this hypothetical G-d is protecting you because He granted you this exemption. You can talk to him, and be close to him.

I'm bowing out of this controversial sticky discussion and dangerous one too.
There is no hypothetical Hashem!!! chas v'Shalom.
Hashem is REAL.
And Hashem gives no Yid an exemption from keeping the Torah, not even for a millisecond.

May Hashem Bless you all with an easy fast, and a most beautiful and Torah'dik year in all aspects.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 3:16 am
Some of you holier of holiest are gonna be real surprised when you get to heaven and see all the chasidei umos haolam sitting there waiting for you. Some of them may even have better seats than yours.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 3:52 am
zaq wrote:
Some of you holier of holiest are gonna be real surprised when you get to heaven and see all the chasidei umos haolam sitting there waiting for you. Some of them may even have better seats than yours.

I'm presuming that your post is referring to me, since it follows my post.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. In no way do I claim to be holy, or holier than any other Yid or member on this site.
Only Hashem KNOWS what goes on in every person's heart. And who is genuine.

And because my answer is that I couldn't even entertain the thought of chas v'Shalom a hypothetical Hashem and Him exempting us from following the Torah for a short time, that does not make me holier than other members on this site who feel differently about this thread.

Learn to accept that members have different and sometimes opposing views on topics. And that's fine.

So some members fantasize what they would do in a hypothetical situation as in this
thread.
I can't even think of it.

What's wrong with each of us having our individual views on things???

OP, hey r u here??? I'm really interested to know the reason your started this thread???

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 4:22 am
Actually, ecru, I was not addressing you at all. I was addressing all the sanctimonious imas -- of whom you may indeed be one, but I wouldn't know --who have the quaint but revolting notion that only observant Jews believe in G-d or the Ten Commandments, , and all others spend their time fornicating with beasts and blood relatives in between taking vandalism lessons and attending parties featuring group s@x , human sacrifice , andf recreational drugs. Such things do go on, of course, but do you honestly believe that every family or even most families living on Main Street live like that?

This may be what you were taught in early grade school , But then you were probably also taught that G-d is an old man with a long white beard who lives in the sky. Grow up.

grace413

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 5:21 am
zaq wrote:
Ladies. Get over yourselves. Jews don't have a monopoly on G-d. "Nonjew" is not synonymous with "idolater devoid of any moral compass or decency." There are many nonjews who believe deeply in G-d and live lives full of faith. Just because a person does not have the gift and

Liking this was just not enough.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 5:36 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
I find it interesting that no one has mentioned going to concerts or opera and ballet performances or visiting art galleries. Just an observance.

I don't do most of these things but if I did do them it would not be breaking halacha. Maybe for a man, but not for a woman. What is wrong with art galleries??? Or concerts without women singing?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 5:40 am
As I'm a gioret, I would use the time to visit my non-jewish family members and old friends from my former life in their houses. I'd be able to eat with them, do weekend trips without worrying about Shabbat. I'd dress secular style and visit my old "hunting grounds" without looking different from everyone else.
I'd grab bread and sandwiches without netilat yadaiim and birkat hamazon.

By the way, because the topic came up above, I definitely had a relationship with Hashem long before I became Jewish and started keeping mitzvot. That relationship eventually led me towards Judaism.

While this whole thread is an interesting hypothetic scenario, I think stopping to keep mitzvot would actually feel very weird. In real life, there is no going back into my past and I know it. Though sometimes I miss having a normal relationship with my old family and friends. It is as if my life consists of two totally different halves with no bridge between them.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 5:51 am
amother wrote:
cannot even entertain the thought of it ...
SCARY - to live life without any guidelines. Rachmana Litzlan.
EVEN MORE SCARY - I need the constant security that Hashem is Watching over me. don't even want to imagine, not even for a millisecond, chas v'Shalom, life without this.
gave me the shivers

Forgive me but I think many people are terrified to entertain this train train if thought because what if heaven forbid... himmel geshrei... they actually enjoy the three months off? It's a terrifying thought for many

mandksima

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 7:19 am
This is a very weird thread for me and I'm working out why.

First, immediately I thought like another poster - Wow, these ladies are so wonderful! They keep the mitzvot because Hashem said to and if they didn't have to, they wouldn't! We are supposed to keep mitzvot for that reason and not because it revolts us not to. We should say I really want that non-kosher food but I won't eat it because Hashem tells us not to. So, kudos to the women here! (I personally find shellfish disgusting and have no desire to try but there should be something I really desire and can say I don't do it because of Hashem.)

Second, this thread makes me so sad in a way because so many people are missing the beautiful spiritual reasons and growth we get when doing mitzvot. I really only learned about this recently. In all of my years in Jewish day school, high school ,seminary year and a Jewish college with Judaic classes, I never learned kabbalistic reasons behind doing what we do. I was upset for so long at all of these institutions which favored learning halacha over kabbala to the point that we left without appreciating what the mitzvot are really for and how to truly love doing them. Even the mitzvot where we don't know the reason why it can benefit us in this world, we can easily learn what these mitzvot do for us spiritually and how they connect us to Hashem. We fulfill our tikkun with them and they atone for previous sins, especially those done by Adam and Chava. We are constantly rectifying the world so it can become closer to the original state of the world and Hashem can then bring moshiach and have us exist in a reality like gan eden. We build our character with them and we create melachim with them who advocate for us and save us from the detriment of sin. We continuously recreate the world as we learn Torah and do mitzvot. If we all collectively didn't for one moment, the world would cease to exist. When we know we are Hashem's helper every moment and this is how He created us, to be constantly involved the the world continuation, it seems weird to want to take a vacation from this. I feel not enough women here are feeling this and the profound impact each mitzvah that they do does for the world as well as for the future world. The mitzvot are so hard yet we sacrifice running after all of our pleasures in order to follow the rules that Hashem gave us. These rules are our instruction book for life and continuation for the world. We can choose not to do them but we are then cutting ourselves off from the Divine Creator who only created us so we would have the chance to earn our future reward. It is sort of like being born and then immediately wanting to escape form your mother as you feel she is too restricting and you think you know better yourself. In reality, you know nothing without your guide book, the Torah, and you would be making your way blindly in the world with no future connection to the Jewish nation who has a special role of tikkun. If you have never learned these things, it isn't too late! Rabbi Mendel Kessin gives great shiurim on this as well as Rabbi Akiva Tatz and countless others.

So the question we ask ourselves is why would we enjoy running away from the restrictions we are given now? We must be only seeing them as a burden which we are required to keep. In the near future, BEH, with moshiach, many of these restrictions will be lifted as we will no longer have to do them to rectify a world which has reached its perfection. I think if women can really love and appreciate their beautiful role in this world as a woman, as a Jew, as well as part of the collective humanity then they can look as these mitzvot as the greatest gift and not uncomfortable hardships (Adam and Chava were not Jews and they could have perfected the world immediately had they not sinned so originally this was humanity's role. Later, it became the Jews' role once they accepted the Torah. If they didn't accept, all humanity would have been destroyed as the world couldn't exist without it.)

We must mature to realize that looking at the world as a bunch of difficult restrictions is like a rebellious teen. We, who are now adults, pity them for their ignorance when we know that having rules in life creates an ability for a society to run smoothly and without them we would turn into a Godless and immoral society where survival of the fittest would rule and there would be no justice. That is why non Jews must keep the seven mitzvot of Noach. By thinking maybe we would be fine keeping only those as well, we are giving up our huge and awesome responsibility of bringing the world into its perfected state. What a shame not to see the gifts and beauty in this. We must look at life with the full picture of what these 6000 years are for and not just our 120 year lifetime. We are all reincarnations so we must do what is left to help ourselves as well and not waste this life.

BTW, it was eyeopening to read so many hate the 3 day yomtovim! Just move to Israel...two nights of seder will be a thing of the past! Once in a while you will have a 3 day chag with Rosh Hashana only.

cbsp

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 7:46 am
amother ecru wrote:

InnerMe wrote:

Why would you not be able to have that bitachon if you were given an exemption? In this hypothetical, G-d is protecting you because He granted you this exemption. You can talk to him, and be close to him.

I'm bowing out of this controversial sticky discussion and dangerous one too.
There is no hypothetical Hashem!!! chas v'Shalom.
Hashem is REAL.
And Hashem gives no Yid an exemption from keeping the Torah, not even for a millisecond.

May Hashem Bless you all with an easy fast, and a most beautiful and Torah'dik year in all aspects.

I added what to me was a missing comma. Does that read better now? Meaning, the situation of reprieve from mitzvos was the hypothetical, not, chas v'Shalom, Hashem.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics