Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Daily learning of Shulchan Aruch?

Soul on fire

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 6:38 pm
Are there any daily mailing lists/websites/etc that have a daily email or post with info to learn on the shulchan aruch? Or even a book?
Thanks!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 7:08 pm
There's a cycle for learning the Shulchan Aruch (as well as the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch, which is an entirely different thing), but nothing that I've seen that gives a daily synopsis, which is what it seems you are asking for. You can find a translation fo the Shulchan Aruch here: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki.....Aruch
and a description of the Shulchan Aruch cycle, along with pointers to the calendar, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halacha_Yomis

A word of caution: I decided when I was in ninth grade that I wanted to go through the Shulchan Aruch. My Hebrew at that point wasn't good enough for me to go through it alone, and I didn't have a translation at home, so I did the next best thing, which was going through the translated Kitzur Shulchan Aruch. Unfortunately, I wound up getting pretty turned off by all the stuff in the beginning about how you should sleep and what you should eat, and other lifestyle items that were (and are) hard for me to accept as halacha. It wasn't using the Kitzur that was the problem; the Mishneh Torah and the Shulchan Aruch both start out this way as well. It shook the foundations of my ninth-grade religious self for quite a while.

If you are going to go through the Shulchan Aruch by yourself, I'd suggest doing it for chagim, something relatively self contained and short. But mostly, I'd suggest doing it with someone else who is knowledgeable. Just getting a chavrusa -- something I tried years later -- also may not work unless you find someone who really knows how to learn the Shulchan Aruch.

You also might find a Toshba class -- where a body of halacha and it sources (Gemara, Rif, Rambam, Shulchan Aruch, etc.) is presented in an organized way -- to be a better learning experience.

Until there's more structure out there on the web or in books, I'm not sure that just plowing through the Shulchan Aruch is really the best way to learn.

Soul on fire

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 7:45 pm
Thank you for the links and your input. I am now reminded that I was also really turned off by the kitzur shulchan aruch many years ago. My husband is a knowledgeable learner so I will learn it with him.

JoyInTheMorning wrote:
There's a cycle for learning the Shulchan Aruch (as well as the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch, which is an entirely different thing), but nothing that I've seen that gives a daily synopsis, which is what it seems you are asking for. You can find a translation fo the Shulchan Aruch here: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki.....Aruch
and a description of the Shulchan Aruch cycle, along with pointers to the calendar, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halacha_Yomis

A word of caution: I decided when I was in ninth grade that I wanted to go through the Shulchan Aruch. My Hebrew at that point wasn't good enough for me to go through it alone, and I didn't have a translation at home, so I did the next best thing, which was going through the translated Kitzur Shulchan Aruch. Unfortunately, I wound up getting pretty turned off by all the stuff in the beginning about how you should sleep and what you should eat, and other lifestyle items that were (and are) hard for me to accept as halacha. It wasn't using the Kitzur that was the problem; the Mishneh Torah and the Shulchan Aruch both start out this way as well. It shook the foundations of my ninth-grade religious self for quite a while.

If you are going to go through the Shulchan Aruch by yourself, I'd suggest doing it for chagim, something relatively self contained and short. But mostly, I'd suggest doing it with someone else who is knowledgeable. Just getting a chavrusa -- something I tried years later -- also may not work unless you find someone who really knows how to learn the Shulchan Aruch.

You also might find a Toshba class -- where a body of halacha and it sources (Gemara, Rif, Rambam, Shulchan Aruch, etc.) is presented in an organized way -- to be a better learning experience.

Until there's more structure out there on the web or in books, I'm not sure that just plowing through the Shulchan Aruch is really the best way to learn.

Soul on fire

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 7:52 pm
Do you know if there is an online Toshba class? I currently do not live in a community.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics