Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tucked in/out
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 6:01 pm
Ruchel wrote:
amother wrote:
Quote:
I read here recently many frum women wear slips under their skirts, do you wear something between the bra and the blouse/shirt/top? Tzitzis? (joke!)

Yes there are some real ultra-frum woman who always wear a "chaseedishe slip". Thats like a long sleeved cotton undershirt.
But most frum woman that I know, usually only wear a skirt slip.

If my top is somewhat see-thru then I usually wear my dhs undershirt.

thanks!
do all frum women wear skirt slips? I didn't know people still wore them.

As I said, all frum women in my community.
Without a skirt slip, the skirt could "cling" to the body and shows more the shape of the legs. It also depends what type of skirt.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 6:03 pm
I have noticed, that some skirts cling to tights. Is it because of that? I actually searched for something to prevent the problem, but didn't see slips anywhere!!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 6:50 pm
Come to America!! Wink

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 6:52 pm
amother wrote:
Come to America!! Wink

send me slips!! looool

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 7:55 pm
What's the big deal? It's a layer!

I often line my tops like that.

shoy18

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 8:08 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
What's the big deal? It's a layer!

I often line my tops like that.

you line your shirts with slips? why not just wear a shell?

Maya

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
I read here recently many frum women wear slips under their skirts, do you wear something between the bra and the blouse/shirt/top? Tzitzis? (joke!)

Yes there are some real ultra-frum woman who always wear a "chaseedishe slip". Thats like a long sleeved cotton undershirt.
But most frum woman that I know, usually only wear a skirt slip.

If my top is somewhat see-thru then I usually wear my dhs undershirt.

I know that many women wear that 'chasidishe slip', but I didn't know that wearing a skirt slip is because of frumkeit. I only wear it so that my skirts don't cling. If a skirt is not clingy, then I don't bother.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 8:23 pm
shoy18 wrote:
you line your shirts with slips? why not just wear a shell?

Actually, I cut up undershirts to line my thin blouses and summer tees with. It's MUCH cooler then a shell.

Annie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 9:14 pm
can someone tell me how to keep their shirts tucked in? My dd always tucks her shirts in when she leaves, but by the time she's home, they're out, and my boys can't even seem to keep their shirts tucked in for more than 5 minutes at a time. Plus they hate having the tzitzis out with the shirt tucked in . . . (they're 5.5).

MrsLeo

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 10:54 pm
Some shirts are just not meant to be tucked in!!! My husband wears white polo shirts sometimes and it gets me so nervous wen he tucks them in cuz they are made to be tucked out! But regular button down shirts are definately meant to be tucked in.
I hardley ever keep my shirts tucked in cuz its just so stuffy like that, unless its an outfit or something thats meant to be tucked in.

mumoo

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 11:25 pm
timeout wrote:
With my sons school one of the policies is from First Grade on all shirts muct be tucked in, personally I agree.

also the policy here. but while one son can tuck-he has a waist- the other who is built like a wall has a very hard time staying tucked

the 9th grade tzaddik-Rebbe bought my son several knit vests so he could be technically untucked but still look like a mensch. He wears a vest everyday now.

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 11:58 pm
I'm assuming we're talking about button down shirts & blouses here. Obviously, t-shirt styles and others are not necessarily designed to be tucked!

mommyX2

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 12:19 am
Ruchel wrote:
I have noticed, that some skirts cling to tights. Is it because of that? I actually searched for something to prevent the problem, but didn't see slips anywhere!!

that's hysterical...yes I wear slips if I wear tights or stockings. not a frum thing...just so my skirt doesn't cling. they also sell Static Guard which you can sprayon tights to make it not cling. and whne you are in a pinch you can run to the bathroom and just wet your legs/stockings/tights under your skirt. and the water takes away the static (atleast for a while) Smile

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 4:45 am
static guard, I'll have to buy that
You can't imagine how much I struggled with the static problem Twisted Evil

HooRYou

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 5:23 am
I always wear an undershirt under a blouse or a jacket iwth another shirt underneath. I also always wear a slip if I am wearing an unlined skirt (and occasionally in lined ones as well) for the cling reason but also so the light doesn't shine through the fabric.

I tuck DC in at least twice before the bus comes but I am sure it is no longer that way when the bus reaches school. I think its a skinny thing since everything tends to slide down.

grin

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 7:27 am
getting back to the original subject - I always used to tuck in my shirts and when my girls commented it's so old-fashioned, I decided to experiment and wear my shirts out. can be more comfortable, sometimes it looks better. anyhow, I got into the habit.
yesterday, I wore a shirt that's too tailored to wear out and a bunch of peorple that day complimented me on my skirt (which I'd worn regualrly before, but under a shirt not tucked inside)!

gryp

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 10:09 am
I say do what's comfortable as long as you're clean.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 10:47 am
You can tuck your blouse into your tights, too.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 12:59 pm
Tucked in is important for tznius reasons, because lately most tops are skimpy on material, and end just at the waist, or a bit lower. You bend over or reach up and all is visible.

But not all tops can be, or are made to be tucked in. Jackets, and sweaters are obviously made to be worn over the skirt and out. And short-waisted people don't look so good tucked in.

So the perfect solution is to wear your shirt tucked in, with a cardigan, sweater, or jacket - even a shirt worn as one - over it.

It brings the waist lower down, so it looks better to the eye, and tznius, and overall good taste (non-shlumpiness) is ensured.

Personally, that's my style. Whenever I want to look presentable, I'll wear a jacket or sweater over my shirt/top.

grin

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 4:40 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Tucked in is important for tznius reasons, because lately most tops are skimpy on material, and end just at the waist, or a bit lower. You bend over or reach up and all is visible.
And short-waisted people don't look so good tucked in.

actaully, my untucked shirts are quite ample and long - I stick to older styles I find at 2nd hand places. I am short-waisted but, I can look good either way. I guess it was the novelty of giving myself a choice, as opposed to being locked in to what I'd always done.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics