Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Educational computer games for elementary age kids

goodrms

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:13 am
I am looking for some fun educational computer games for my 2nd grade son and 4th grade daughter. I would like something that does not need interenet preferably. Also, I'm looking for something to really build skills and knowledge in all subjects. Any ideas would be amazing!

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:24 am
Do you have an iPad or tablet? That's where the offline games action is at.

doctorima

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:30 am
The Carmen Sandiego series (Where in Time, in the World, in the USA) could be good for your older DC - no Internet, and very educational. She may get stuck at times and need a little help from you.

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:34 am
doctorima wrote:
The Carmen Sandiego series (Where in Time, in the World, in the USA) could be good for your older DC - no Internet, and very educational. She may get stuck at times and need a little help from you.

I didn't know they still make them! I had a couple of older versions that are no longer compatible with current computers. If the new ones are anything like them, there are copious hints so no adult help required. Sure you'll get some answers wrong but then you learn, there's always another chance. I learned sooooooooo much from Carmen Sandiego!

STMommy

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:02 pm
Seeker are there any specifics apps you would recommend? or does anyone else have a recommendation for an apple store or google store download?

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:13 pm
I have a lot of ipad apps; maybe if you share the age and skills you're looking for I can find some recommendations. I haven't used android for kids in a while.

Tech_mom

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:22 pm
can you please tell me what you would computer games or apps that you would recommend for developing math or english skills that looks fun and doesn't look educational? I have a 7th grade boy that has nothing to do at night. he is always asking me if he could play soda crush which is mind numbing and has no value at all.

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:46 pm
Tech_mom wrote:
can you please tell me what you would computer games or apps that you would recommend for developing math or english skills that looks fun and doesn't look educational? I have a 7th grade boy that has nothing to do at night. he is always asking me if he could play soda crush which is mind numbing and has no value at all.

Offhand I can say that Scholastic has an app Sushi something (Sushi Monster?) that is great for mental math skills and the kids love it. It's adorable, fun, educational, and free.

Kids also enjoyed Stack the States. There was a free limited version and they liked it so much I bought the full version. For the record, I almost never buy apps because it would get habit-forming much too quickly. It's not exactly math or English but I couldn't not mention it for the amount of love it got from a bunch of learning-resistant kids that age.

Those are my most tried-and-true ones but here are some others I have that look good:
Pick-a-path - it's a math game that's like a little maze where you need to take the path that adds up to the right amount or something like that.
Door 24 is another math puzzle type of game. I think you need to make things equal 24.
Hour of Code is, surprise, a coding game. Another one is called Hopscotch.
There's a vocabulary app called World's Worst Pet that the kids enjoyed. I didn't use it much but it was cute and covers the right level for you.
Kids had a lot of fun with a game called Chicken Coop Fractions. It's overtly educational but the graphics and sounds are amusing.
"That's Baloney" is fun overall, it's a true/false game that covers a whole range of subjects and levels.
Math vs Zombies is some basic math facts practice in a more graphically appealing game for the kinds of kids who would enjoy a game whose title includes "vs Zombies" Wink

It's been a while since I used my iPad with older kids so I'm not so current, I'm sure there are zillions of new things out since I made my list.

Also, there's something I wanted to mention that's slipped my mind. So maybe I'll come back.

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:50 pm
BTW current favorite app for younger kids is called bd Bake Off, it was a paid app but very cheap, and is superb practice for recognizing and differentiating commonly confused letters b,d,p,q. Reversals of these are common at young ages even for kids without specific reading disorders, and kids with special difficulty often continue to have a hard time with this even in further grades. I have kids who don't have trouble with this playing the game just for fun, too.

olivia262

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 3:09 pm
I could recommend Zebrainy ABC Wonderlands https://itunes.apple.com/app/a.....mt=8. My kids explore letters effortlessly in the pleasant atmosphere of a fairy story:) Simply charming music and enthralling narrative. Created so vibrant, amazingly detailed, warmly touching, it became my kids favorite apps Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics