Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tuition means starving

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 8:18 pm
I make enough to pay rent with a few hundred dollars left over. The rest of the money I make goes straight to tuition to pay for school. I am not eligible for food stamps as my income is right over the income limit. If I didn't have to pay tuition, I would be able to afford food but all the extra money goes to tuition.

I don't know what to do. Every credit card bill (I mainly use credit card for food only) is leaving me in more debt and I try to buy the bare minimum food possible.

I'm not paying a lot of tuition, but there is no option to pay no tuition and I won't put my kids in public school.

How do people who make about $100 more than the food stamp income limit pay for food when you have to also pay tuition and mortgage/rent? Please explain how you do it.

I'm a single mother and don't get any money from ex as he's unemployed

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 8:19 pm
Do you have a husband?

cnc

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 8:22 pm
Have you spoken to the school?

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 8:29 pm
Are you married or single? If you are married, is your dh in Kollel?

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 8:30 pm
if you are $100 over , then maybe you can cut hours and then be eligible for food stamp.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
if you are $100 over , then maybe you can cut hours and then be eligible for food stamp.

If you live in Brooklyn, please pm me. I will try to get you vouchers at a local supermarket (weekly).

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 8:56 pm
to answer previous posters- op said that she is divorced and her ex is unemployed so doesn't give any child support.
major hugs op! I wish I had more to say Sad

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 9:15 pm
It is worth it for you to get paid 100 less and get food stamps. And HEAP. I got 700/mo in food stamps

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
If you live in Brooklyn, please pm me. I will try to get you vouchers at a local supermarket (weekly).
she can't pm you, you are amother

marina

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 9:34 pm
Does the school know the extent of your situation ?

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 11:42 pm
Can you downsize so you're paying a lot less in rent? Take in a roommate? Rather than earn less and get more help, I would recommend extra work to get more $$.

Can you put your kids in public school so you don't need to worry about tuition?

How are you paying your phone/ electric/ gas/ water/ sewer/ etc bills?

May your ex get great employment soon so you have child support, may your parnassah increase, etc!

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 2:52 am
Have you explained your financial situation to the school ? If they cannot give you further discounts on tuition, can they assist you in hooking you up with tzedaka for food?

Can you apply to your shul's tzedaka committee (or whomever runs tzedaka funds in your community)?

If you can't even afford food, it seems like some organization in your community should be able to assist.

Petra

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 9:18 am
Amother,

PM me, I can send you something.

Maybe there is also a way on this site to set up a fund.

Nobody in our community should go hungry.

Even if you don't live in my state or my community, we are all family.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 9:20 am
Can an organization like sister to sister help you renegotiate your tuition contract and find access to food at low or no cost?

hotzenplotz

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 10:42 am
please pm me. I will try to get you weekly vouchers at a local Brooklyn supermarket.
and new clothing for the children.
Also, please do not talk to the school yourself. You need the right person to speak for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics