Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Cleaning up

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 9:27 am
I can't get my kids to clean up after themselves. I've tried making it a game. I've tried not letting them do anything else until they clean up. I've thrown their things in the garbage. Admittedly, dh sets a poor example. I do have cleaning help several days a week, but I am constantly reminding everyone that she's not there to get us out of having to clean up after ourselves, she's there because there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done. Yet everyone except for me exhibits the attitude that because someone comes to clean, they don't ever have to clean a single thing. Cutting back on cleaning help is not an option, the only thing that will accomplish is landing me in the psych ward.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 9:33 am
We had a family meeting and spoke about everyone needing to contribute and work together as a family. I told them I'd assist them. We set up a system where the kids could choose a restaurant to go out to eat after 2 weeks of working together.
I tried to set up for success. Brought the garbage can to the table before we started a meal. Stayed involved and ate with them at the table. Took out one box of toys at a time and wouldn't take out more if that first one wasn't cleaned up. Helped them with direction on dress and showers to remind about the hamper (you might decide a hamper and mini trash can in each room works better for you).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics