Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Female Rabbis Speak Out About 'Pervasive' Harassment
1  2  3  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 4:45 pm
New York: The Jewish Week

http://jewishweek.timesofisrae.....ment/

Quote:
“People don’t understand how many congregants cross the line,” Rabbi Sirbu said. “I had one say to me as I was carrying the Torah [down the aisle], ‘You’re so pretty, I don’t know whom to kiss first — you or the Torah.’ And a friend who lost weight had a congregant come up to her, put his arm around her neck and squeeze her breast while saying, ‘It’s great to have a hot rabbi on the bima.’”

Another female rabbi who learned she was known to her congregants as the “rabbi with the nice legs” has now taken to wearing pants at all times.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 4:50 pm
Sounds like a great argument against female ordination.

OP you should edit the topic and put rabbi in inverted commas.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 4:55 pm
But what about the fundraising possibilities? "Female Rabbi Beauty Contest Tonight. May the best Rabbi win."

mame1

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 5:11 pm
What is this? A prep school with entitled brats? In what world is that behavior okay? I'm not even talking a religious world- in any world. I'm certain that in these two instances this didn't happen because there is a female rabbi. These people are predators, plain and simple. I would not want to be a part of a congregation with members like that (or with a female rabbi, however that is not the bigger crime here).
What happened? Did the women complain to the temple administration? Did these people have their membership revoked? Were there any consequences?

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 5:12 pm
Whether or not you agree with female officiants, these stories sound rather horrible (esp the grabby guy). I would think that decent women would defend these women's right not to be harassed on the job.

tichellady

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:

Yes, women should be limited in their career choices in order to avoid harrasment and s-xual exploitation.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
But what about the fundraising possibilities? "Female Rabbi Beauty Contest Tonight. May the best Rabbi win."

Is this supposed to be funny?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 5:18 pm
Sounds like a great argument for hilchos negiah.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 5:40 pm
Quote:
For one woman rabbi... file a s-xual harassment suit against her boss. She told The Jewish Week that among her complaints was his response when she asked him to confirm that the Hebrew word for sour was “chamutz.”

“Yes, sour like...” he said...

Maybe they should spend more time studying basic Hebrew.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 5:49 pm
amother wrote:

This comment is disgusting.

Because no woman, let alone no Jewish woman should ever be grabbed inappropriately. NO. MATTER. WHAT. HER. JOB . IS.

You are so ignorant it hurts.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 6:22 pm
andrea levy wrote:

Because no woman, let alone no Jewish woman should ever be grabbed inappropriately. NO. MATTER. WHAT. HER. JOB . IS.

Your are right.

I'm sorry.

I actually agree with you. I should not have been so flippant.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 6:46 pm
andrea levy wrote:

Right, no woman should be spoken to that way. And no woman ever is, in the RW shul that I go to. I wonder why?

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 6:48 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Right, no woman should be spoken to that way. And no woman ever is, in the RW shul that I go to. I wonder why?

How do you know?

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 6:52 pm
watergirl wrote:
How do you know?

What, you mean they're whispering? Shame on them.

Boca00

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 6:59 pm
This is disgusting, but I can't say it is all that shocking.

With all these people coming forward, it makes me wonder- is there any profession where men work with women that is completely free of harassment?

(I don't mean one specific office or school, I mean a profession as a whole.)

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 7:06 pm
Boca00 wrote:

With all these people coming forward, it makes me wonder- is there any profession where men work with women that is completely free of harassment?

Yes, when I worked with frum men, I did not get this at all. I apologize if other's experience was different, but I think my experience was the rule rather than the exception.

Boca00

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 7:07 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Yes, when I worked with frum men, I did not get this at all. I apologize if other's experience was different, but I think my experience was the rule rather than the exception.

Right, but I mean a profession as a whole.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 7:09 pm
Boca00 wrote:

It’s not the profession, it’s the people. If you can call them “people,” that is...

I work at a gym and that kind of behavior would never be tolerated. Yeshivish, Modern, Old, Young, Men, Women, Liberal, Conservative, whatever your label, there’s no excuse. Yuck.

What is wrong with people?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
Your are right.

I'm sorry.

I actually agree with you. I should not have been so flippant.

Thank you. I’m impressed that you agreed and admitted. I’d erase but I see my comments have been commented on.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 7:20 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

That’s so interesting because I’ve been propositioned by a chassid and a yeshiva bocher totally inappropriately ( when I was single and not Frum, so guess what I think they wanted?)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics