Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby monitor in small apartment?
1  2  Next

SmileUrJewish

Post Sat, Dec 30 2017, 11:58 pm
We recently had a family member generously offer to buy us a baby monitor once our baby G-d willing arrives. The thing is, we live in a one-level 3 bedroom apartment (100 square meters) and I can't imagine that I won't be able to hear the baby without the monitor. The nursery is going to be two doors away from our bedroom. Is it really worth getting a monitor?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 12:03 am
SmileUrJewish wrote:
We recently had a family member generously offer to buy us a baby monitor once our baby G-d willing arrives. The thing is, we live in a one-level 3 bedroom apartment (100 square meters) and I can't imagine that I won't be able to hear the baby without the monitor. The nursery is going to be two doors away from our bedroom. Is it really worth getting a monitor?

you're not paying it for it so.... worth might be the right question..

but do you need one? depends on how much monitoring you want to do.

I never used mine unless I was out of earshot of my baby (and I'm in a house - that was when I was in the basement, and baby was on second floor).

but my SIL - with a similar living situation to yours - carried hers around with her and looked (and listened) to make sure her baby was breathing.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 12:42 am
I live in a duplex apartment and I never felt the need for a baby monitor. The baby's bedroom is close enough to ours that I hear everything when we keep the doors open. And even when I am on the first floor during nap time I hear when she wakes up.
I would use the money for something more useful.

SmileUrJewish

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 12:44 am
essie14 wrote:
I live in a duplex apartment and I never felt the need for a baby monitor. The baby's bedroom is close enough to ours that I hear everything when we keep the doors open. And even when I am on the first floor during nap time I hear when she wakes up.
I would use the money for something more useful.

That’s what I was thinking too. Any ideas on what would be more useful?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 12:50 am
SmileUrJewish wrote:

a fancy diaper pail - with refills.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 1:07 am
SmileUrJewish wrote:

stroller, high chair, car seat, baby gate, crib, bouncy seat, swing

SmileUrJewish

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 1:20 am
essie14 wrote:
stroller, high chair, car seat, baby gate, crib, bouncy seat, swing

Of course we already bought most of those things ourselves Confused

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 2:35 am
A bassinet for the stroller. Or just for the bedroom. It saves so much space for when the baby is little and you want them next to your bed. Until you can move them to the na the room, which has enough space for a crib.

Though a monitor may be nice for when you want the doors closed, yet you want your baby's cry to wake you for nighttime feedings.

A rocking chair or lazy-boy would be great too.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 5:28 am
SmileUrJewish wrote:
Of course we already bought most of those things ourselves Confused

You bought all these things before your baby is even born? You don't need a high chair for 6 months. I wasn't even thinking about that when my newborn was an infant.
You also need a newborn car seat and if you have a car, then you will want something that can go in and out of the car easily, like a snap n go. When the baby ages out of that, you will need a new one. I had to switch my baby at 7 months and all of a sudden we bought an expensive convertible car seat and we also needed a new lightweight stroller for the car.

What about a subscription for a years worth of photo shoots? I know newborn / children's photographers that do this. You buy a package and get photo shoots every few months for the first year.

Or just ask for an Amazon gift card. "I know there will be so many baby items we can't even think about right now but we will be so happy to purchase them when the need arises and will think of you"

cozyblanket

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 5:43 am
SmileUrJewish wrote:

Will you be able to hear the baby from the kitchen? With water running? I used a monitor in all of our apartments.

SmileUrJewish

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:10 am
essie14 wrote:
You bought all these things before your baby is even born?

We made Aliyah mid-pregnancy and made sure to stock up on big purchases that would be much more expensive to buy in Israel. (We brought a lift.)

I love your suggestions though, thank you!!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:47 am
That's a small apartment?? LOL LOL LOL LOL

Oh and we didn't need one even in a house.

fbmommy

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:53 am
It may be helpful at night if baby is sleeping in a different room, you can hear the cries faster.
Also, if you are in an apartment building you may want to use it to leave baby sleeping with monitor at neighbor who pops in every half an hour and then listens in. Not the safest method, but good for emergencies.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 1:58 pm
We needed a baby monitor in an 80 sq m apt.

I kep baby's door closed and mne too, so even though they were close, I couldn't always hear right away if I was really asleep (and the difference is huge in putting a baby back to bed who has been fussing for a minute vs one who is screaming their lungs off for several minutes). I also needed it for when I was doign stuff in the kitchen, or watching/listening to something in the living room (especially with headphones so not to wake the baby).

In short, I found it very useful.

Raw

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 4:03 pm
While I never used a monitor to hear the baby, I find the ones with a video camera to be very useful for sleep training or nap times so you can see what the baby is doing without rushing into the room.
Also, if it is hooked up to WiFi (most of the expensive good ones are) you can use it as a nanny cam while you’re out.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 5:40 pm
SmileUrJewish wrote:

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and I am very dependant on it.
The reason I bought it is that with 2 noisemakers it's not easy hear the kid's crying in the middle of the night.

Sometimes I see my daughter complaining while still lying down.
That's when I know that she doesn't want anybody to bother.
If I dare come in she'll throw a tantrum.
When I see her standing and complaining I know she wants to come out.
And she'll be happy to see me.

It's also good to monitor the kid's night terrors, if they have it.

It spared me a lot of trips back and forth in the middle of the night.

My monitor has a talk back setting which I use to sing to my daughter when she can't fall asleep.

When I want my daughter to not be afraid I tell her that I'm watching her from the camera.

There are a lot more reasons...

abaker

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 5:48 pm
I was going to say I haven't used a monitor yet but I think a video one is a really useful purchase. Then you can peek in without going in to the room and waking the baby/your kids up.
Some of our common wonders:
-is the blanket still on him?
-did they fall asleep yet? (Very useful when transitioning siblings to start sharing a room together)
- *washing dishes* "hmm why is it so quiet in the kids room?" Goes to check "they're climbing up on a desk and pretend hammering the walls!"

I think if someone offered to buy you one, why not? It could come in handy

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 6:39 pm
Also there are some that have sensors to monitor baby's breathing and alert you if motion stops. I've used that and baby sleeps in my room.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 7:08 pm
best thing about a video monitor is when taking a shower/bath, and not having to turn the water every second cuz you 'think' you hear the baby crying.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 7:49 am
amother wrote:
not having to turn the water every second cuz you 'think' you hear the baby crying.

I just don't. Baby is safely in bed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics