Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Midwinter ideas please!
1  2  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 12:32 pm
Looking for suggestions on places for a 2 day vacation within driving distance of NYC...not PA.

Kids ages two to high school. Just desperate to get away, can use points for hotel. Thanks!!

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 12:45 pm
Washington D.C. lots of museums and other indoor activities.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
Washington D.C. lots of museums and other indoor activities.

Thank you, I was thinking about this. I was afraid the kids would get bored too quickly with museums, but now I will google what else there is to do there

doctorima

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 1:01 pm
Boston, Mystic CT, Baltimore, Newport.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 1:14 pm
doctorima wrote:
Boston, Mystic CT, Baltimore, Newport.

Thank you, are you able to recommend any indoor activities in Newport or Boston?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 1:24 pm
Camelback resort in the Poconos!

Lots of snow activities as well as an indoor water park! Love that place.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 1:39 pm
Some museums will be better for kids than others. Air and Space and Natural History are fun. I've heard good things about the Spy Museum, too, but it's not free. If you get a nice day, the National Zoo is open year round, but some exhibits will be closed.

Here's a list of some other kid-friendly offerings:
https://www.mommynearest.com/e.....-once

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you, I was thinking about this. I was afraid the kids would get bored too quickly with museums, but now I will google what else there is to do there

The museums in DC are varied and interactive. Spy Museum, Air and Space Museum, Building Museum, Newseum, etc. are all very interesting and interactive and suitable for kids of all ages.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 2:18 pm
Thanks ladies, I really appreciate it! I will look into all of those

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you, are you able to recommend any indoor activities in Newport or Boston?

Newport is better in the summer.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
Camelback resort in the Poconos!

Lots of snow activities as well as an indoor water park! Love that place.

There’s also kalahari and great wolf lodge.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 3:01 pm
I see the spy museum recommended. I had nightmares and flashbacks after going there in 8th grade. at that time they showed videos of the spies being tortured after they were caught. The rest of the museum was amazing. Beware of that section with young or more sensitive kids.

doctorima

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:

Boston has an amazing science museum, an excellent children's museum, a nice aquarium, all indoors. There's also lots of historical stuff, including a fun tour of a Boston Tea Party replica ship. The Duck Boats are great if they're running and the weather is warm enough. If they like sports, there's tours of Fenway Park and the Patriots and Celtics' stadiums. Newport has the Touro synagogue and breathtaking mansions. I didn't mention Poconos places because you said not PA.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:33 pm
New Hampshire has lots of snow activties.
Mountain creek has snow tubing, skiing, indoor water park.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:37 pm
Spend the day/night in the city. Enjoy NYC!

Find cheap flights to Florida!

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:49 pm
I second the Boston idea. Plenty to keep everyone busy for 2-3 days. In addition, local public schools won’t be on vacation and you won’t have a large “ yeshiva week” presence, so attractions won’t be too crowded.
There is also snowtubing and cross-country skiing in the vicinity (I guess those are difficult with a 2 year old, though!)
If you’re coming up I-95 from NY area, you can make a stop at Mystic Aquarium. Also there is a huge indoor ropes course in New Haven, right off the 95 (if your kids are interested). If your kids are bookworms, you can stop off at the BookBarn in Niantic CT on your way—- very large used bookstore with a whole building of kids books— pick up some reading for the car ride.

Note that kashrut in much of CT and all of Rhode Island is iffy. Don’t rely on apps like “yeah that’s kosher” or similar. Once you get to Boston, you’re “safe”—- KVH and Rabbi Hamoui are considered reliable by almost all.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:15 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
I second the Boston idea. Plenty to keep everyone busy for 2-3 days. In addition, local public schools won’t be on vacation and you won’t have a large “ yeshiva week” presence, so attractions won’t be too crowded.
There is also snowtubing and cross-country skiing in the vicinity (I guess those are difficult with a 2 year old, though!)
If you’re coming up I-95 from NY area, you can make a stop at Mystic Aquarium. Also there is a huge indoor ropes course in New Haven, right off the 95 (if your kids are interested). If your kids are bookworms, you can stop off at the BookBarn in Niantic CT on your way—- very large used bookstore with a whole building of kids books— pick up some reading for the car ride.

Note that kashrut in much of CT and all of Rhode Island is iffy. Don’t rely on apps like “yeah that’s kosher” or similar. Once you get to Boston, you’re “safe”—- KVH and Rabbi Hamoui are considered reliable by almost all.

These are really great ideas, ty!!

sweet

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:50 pm
We went to Boston this past summer and the kids all had a great time!
You can also stop at the Pez factory in Orange Ct, in the way there/back..

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 10:42 pm
Hi ladies, Really appreciate all the ideas. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for things to do in CT?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 10:43 pm
sweet wrote:
We went to Boston this past summer and the kids all had a great time!
You can also stop at the Pez factory in Orange Ct, in the way there/back..

Sounds cool! I assume some stuff is kosher?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics