Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
New Orleans

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 12:08 am
Which is the best location to stay if you want a minyan on Shabbos? Do you recommend renting a car? Is this vacation appropriate to take children along?

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 10:07 am
There's a couple of Chabad shuls there; you can check their web pages for accommodations in walking distance on Shabbos. The attractions are quite spread out, so a car will give you a lot more mobility and flexibility in planning your visit. It would depend on the age of the kids; there are some attractions there they will like, but in general, it wouldn't be at the top of most child-friendly destinations.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 11:13 am
The Jewish community is in a suburb called
Metairie. In general, no I don’t find New Orleans to be the most child friendly destination.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 10:20 pm
The Chabad website only gives one recommendation which is sold out.
Is there anything inappropriate in New Orleans that I would want to keep my kids away from?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 10:40 pm
It's a party town. Drinking and the like. I'm not prudish and I'm MO but I wouldn't take kids there (specifically for a family vacation) necessarily.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 10:49 pm
The Bourbon Street district is one of the most well-known tourist areas in New Orleans. At night, I wouldn't take children there.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 11:19 pm
Is it a party town 24/7, 365 days a year?

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 11:44 pm
Not the entire town, but that's it's reputation and what it's known for and why people generally go visit. It's like you could go to Las Vegas just to be near Hoover Dam and some nice hiking in the area, but that's not why anybody goes to Las Vegas.

If you want to take kids to New Orelans, you can take boat tours through the rivers and see alligators. There's lots of olden-day mansions and flavor. There's also a wonderful WW2 museum. I believe there are also a couple of kosher restaurants.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 9:54 pm
I know several families that went to Vegas with their kids and did not stay on the strip and had an amazing time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics