Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Moving away from disconnect

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 12:09 am
Childhood taught me to 'check out' so to speak and I'm having trouble with mindfulness. I love my kids tremendously, but I'm having trouble being present. I read them stories and set up activities for them, but will often retreat to the kitchen to cook or the couch to read or somewhere to clean... hard for me to just sit and hang out with them without getting fidgety.(Honestly, I feel that way about much of my life, but I think it's the most harmful in this area.)
Thought I'd challenge myself to do that tomorrow and see how Ido. Anyone want to join? Sit with the kids for a half hour in the morning, hour in the afternoon-No technology, books or other activities --just staying present and joining what they're doing doing...

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 12:33 am
That sounds just like me. It doesn't change overnight but keep trying it gets better over time. Being aware of the prob is the best u can do

unexpected

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 12:42 am
How old are your kids? It's hard to engage with little ones because they so often flit from activity to activity themselves. I don't spend more than 2-3 minutes at a time with my children under 10 but once they get older than that, there's studying and crossword puzzles and talking about your day, going shopping together, discussing recipes etc. I sometimes spend the whole evening shmoozing with my kids and then wonder where the night went!

Happydance

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 1:46 am
I do it too
I also have an ADD diagnosis

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 4:32 am
I never understood what means being fully present. It took me gradual over the years. I think I still have got to learn. Being mindful wasn't something I grew up with. My mother definitely lacks it tremendously. I learned it myself over the years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics