Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What does life feel like in warm climates ?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 9:05 pm
Do u feel like your on vacation all year ?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 9:16 pm
do you feel like you are on vacation when its warm where you live?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 9:33 pm
No, but it is easier to go out at night, since it's not freezing cold

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
No, but it is easier to go out at night, since it's not freezing cold

Right, but you don't go onto vacation mode when its warm.

Most people gotta work most of the year - if is warm or cold. Not having to put on boots to get to work, is a nice perk of living in a warm climate.

fmt4

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
do you feel like you are on vacation when its warm where you live?

Yes.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 9:41 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Yes.

are you a teacher?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 10:31 pm
Live now in florida after over 55yrs in NY! It is very relaxing and the weather is beautiful on the winter months. Summer( may- sept) is extremely hot and humid but people try to be in air conditioned places and carry water where ever they go.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 10:55 pm
I grew up in Los Angeles, and this question confuses me... no, I didn't feel like I was always on vacation, LOL. I just didn't ever feel or think about the inconvenience and discomfort of cold weather.

Is this question for people who grew up in cold places but then moved to warmer places?

--

When I lived in Los Angeles, I was much more sensitive to cold: I could feel the difference between 65 and 70 degrees, and I had classmates who happily wore sweatshirts outside when it was 80+ degrees out.

I've since lived in Brooklyn and Chicago, where I became more sensitive to heat: I can go outside with no coat at 50 degrees, but it's SO HOT at 80 degrees.

...though that could be the humidity, which I never had to deal with in California. UGH, humidity is THE WORST.

--

Also, what would it feel like to live your entire life like you were "on vacation"?? Even in warm weather, you have kids and carpool and bills and.... vacation is a mindset completely separate from climate in my mind.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Wed, Jan 24 2018, 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bsimcha

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 11:01 pm
No, we have jobs and family obligations just like everyone else.

The difference is that it's usually pleasant, it makes everything easier to deal with. Driving, parking, walking etc.
More outdoor activities, parks, backyard playing.

Not vacation as days are just as busy, but I find life is more pleasant than my time in NY.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 12:06 am
Actually to me its opposite
Summer means hot sweaty wearing very impractical clothing
Trouble breathing.
Winter especially when there is a lot of snow its like being a lil girl again home from school without a care in the world

red sea

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 12:18 am
The definition of vacation is :

1- suspension of regular activities
2- the act of vacating

You get used to living anywhere, eventually. It's the change that refreshes people. That said you can still like some places more than others.

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 12:38 am
Bsimcha wrote:
No, we have jobs and family obligations just like everyone else.

The difference is that it's usually pleasant, it makes everything easier to deal with. Driving, parking, walking etc.
More outdoor activities, parks, backyard playing.

Not vacation as days are just as busy, but I find life is more pleasant than my time in NY.

This. Exactly.
I wake up, take my kids to school, grocery shop, go to work, make supper, help with homework, bathe my kids and put them to bed. How is that a vacation?
Yes, when the kids aren't in school we can go to the playground whenever we want, I can take the baby out in her stroller almost everyday. But no, the weather has nothing to do with feeling like I'm on vacation.

slushiemom

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 2:41 am
amother wrote:

I try to! I live 30 min from Jlem, and 40 min from Tel Aviv, both incredible, world class tourist destinations. I hop over to both of those cities as often as I can, and take full advantage of the amazing beaches, restaurants, bars, tourist sites, etc. I really appreciate being able to do that!

The downside is that when the weather is nice enough to go out for 9 months a year, the 3 months that it's cold and rainy is AWFUL! ( I know I'm a huge spoiled brat. When I say "cold" I mean about 50 degrees Farenheit. I HATE the cold, If it's under 70 degrees, I pretty much hibernate.)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 4:50 am
LOL cute.
People in many warm countries work VERY hard. In my non warm country we have week end and 35 hours of work. Paid vacations... and yet it's not also vacation all year. It's life. Be somewhere life is good for you. I wish summer vacay wasn't in summer. I hate heat and strong sun, it's incapacitating.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:53 am
I've travelled to hot places for work. It still felt like work.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 12:00 pm
We live with rainbows, butterflies flying and unicorns prancing on our lawns all year round.

No! I have lived in NY and a warmer climate. I still have to work, grocery shop, do carpool, cook, clean, help kids with homework ...

Oh it’s wonderful to not have to wear boots and if I forgot my coat I know I won’t get frostbite. It’s nice to actually wonder if I need a coat in January! And not to shovel!
We do have lower rates of S.A.D. It’s much better when you leave work at lunch and you have a beautiful blue sky and you can sit outside for lunch. Better for my overall mood too.

But life is pretty much the same.

moonstone

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 12:11 pm
Life in a warm climate just feels... warm. Weather-wise, I really live in the wrong country. I hate the heat and that "winter" doesn't really start until Dec-Jan (and is over before you know it!) . I love cold weather - even on a day like today when it rained like crazy and I stepped in a puddle and my shoes got soaked!

I don't usually feel like a tourist- maybe on the rare occasions that I go to Jerusalem.

heidi

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 12:33 pm
Sorry folks, I don't agree. I love living in a warm climate. Grew up in a warm climate and raised my kidsin a warm climate. It is wonderful to just decide to go for a walk, to feed the ducks, to go to the park and just put them in stroller and go. No jackets, no thinking twice. The five years I lived in NY were just miserable weather wise and I hated having to bundle everyone up. I hated that there were times that it was too cold to go outside. I really appreciate living in a warm climate and never ever take it for granted.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:

Not at all. First off, we have many months of oppressively hot weather. It's miserable. Now the weather is amazing - it's what makes living in south Florida worthwhile. But we still have jobs to go to, houses to clean, carpools to drive, meals to cook, errands to do, etc. etc. etc. It's nice, and I'm glad not to ever shovel snow and freeze, but it isn't paradise and it isn't vacation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics