Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
She didn't *really* pass, but...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 7:13 pm
I'm just wondering if there is any leeway in the way you mark that paper to begin with.
I've marked papers many times. Unless it's a one word answer or multiple choice/matching/fill in - there is often leeway to be strict or lenient. An answer could be technically right or maybe deserve half credit even if it's not what you had in mind.
Or some parts can be worth more than others.
Maybe consider marking this students paper more leniently.

mom39

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 11:32 pm
I am a teacher for over 30 years. We only give number grades on a report card. I would DEFINITELY pass anyone with a 63 average unless I was making a point (very chutzpadik).
63 is a mean mark to give.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 11:58 pm
oliveoil wrote:
You could also argue that giving a student a grade they know is fake is showing them that you DON'T believe in them.

Why is it "fake"? It was NOT fake. A student who studies and can make sense of the material in her head, should not be graded poorly merely because she can't spit it back on paper!
I will reiterate that my 80s were anything but fake. My teachers were intelligent enough to understand that a silly test average is not always the right way to assess a student's knowledge. Class participation, and homework accuracy are just but a few other ways to determine a student's capabilities. Why are we so focused on a test score average?

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:22 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
Um, how to commit to something and put serious effort into it for a long time? Honestly, that's most of what I learned in college that's actually useful for work and I'm a senior in an Ivy League engineering school. The idea that academic institutions (ones that guide you toward getting a BA, BS or PhD, not MD, JD or MBA) care about the same problems that companies care about boggles my mind. It's all about getting used to doing hard work, and for that you can give a 70 to a student who tried and tried. Get verification if you suspect that it's a show.

I was responding to "the info will likely not make her a better wife or mother". Chances are that a parent who looks to high school as preparation to be a homemaker does not plan for her daughter to attend your program, and if that 70, pass, etc., earned or not, is a typical grade for her, she's unlikely to wind up there even if she wants to.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:47 am
amother wrote:
Why is it "fake"? It was NOT fake. A student who studies and can make sense of the material in her head, should not be graded poorly merely because she can't spit it back on paper!
I will reiterate that my 80s were anything but fake. My teachers were intelligent enough to understand that a silly test average is not always the right way to assess a student's knowledge. Class participation, and homework accuracy are just but a few other ways to determine a student's capabilities. Why are we so focused on a test score average?

Perhaps, but the OP herself told us that
Quote:
The report card mark at the end of the term is an average of a test, a midterm, and weekly quizzes.

If she wanted to use a different algorithm that gives her more leeway, she could have.

Example:
- Average of test, a midterm, and weekly quizzes = 90% of grade
- Participation, attitude, and effort = 10% of grade

OP, is there an option to have this student attend summer school or get extra tutoring to bring her grade up? It sounds as if she really did not pass. Is this class a pre-requisite for something she will learn next year? If so, you are just kicking the can down the road and making it someone else's problem. I don't think that helps anyone in the long term.

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 8:40 am
Students know they got a "fake" pass if the teachers bump up their grades. They are not clueless because they can't do academic work.

I don't think it helps their confidence because they are aware.

It doesn't make a difference a P or a 65.

tovasara

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:13 am
I am sorry I don't have time to read this whole thread because it is a topic I think about a lot, and as the parent of a non-straight A student who works so hard this comes up a lot.

I'm not as concerned about what is done with the grade itself, but rather how are you dealing with the student? Are you trying to get to know her and how she learns and why she is struggling? Are you doing anything to help her succeed (I'm not saying you aren't, I just know that in some schools teachers just don't have the time to meet with students privately to just get an idea of what is so difficult for them).

I appreciate when my child is not given a failing grade, but is sent home to make corrections so the child can actually learn.

I also think it depends on the subject. If it is a regents subject that the child is being set up to fail because the child is not getting accurate feedback I feel one way. If it is a non-regents or limudei kodesh class, I feel differently.

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 1:06 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I was responding to "the info will likely not make her a better wife or mother". Chances are that a parent who looks to high school as preparation to be a homemaker does not plan for her daughter to attend your program, and if that 70, pass, etc., earned or not, is a typical grade for her, she's unlikely to wind up there even if she wants to.

My comment about academia was not about this girl in particular, just that school in general for most college majors (and certainly most high school level work) is IME is mostly a place to build work ethic. Therefore it is necessary for being a good wife and mother to go to school, but giving a girl who worked really hard a 70 does not undermine the goal -- in fact it enhances it.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 8:56 pm
Thanks for all the responses!

Firstly, I noticed some posters saying about what mark to put on the test. That was not my question. My question was about HOW to pass - on the report card - a student who didn't really pass.

Secondly, I appreciate that this is an important discussion. Dealing with weak students is a whole parsha. While many of you brought up good points, a lot depends on the school (how large it is, what system there is in place for weak/modified/remedial, if there are regents), the subject taught, and the individual girl (are there other issues? does she behave in class?).

Additionally, it is not easy, to say the least, when teaching over 300 students, to be on top of each girl's specific needs. Unfortunately, the way our school system is set up, there are girls who don't get their needs met. I (and all teachers I know) try to juggle all the balls, and we pray that no ball should fall.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics