Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
High School for teenage girl from BT family

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:57 am
Hi,
Our children have attended small orthodox day schools out of town up to this point. We are relocating to the NJ area so we have more options. We will likely end up in Passaic IY"H.

I am aware of the two Bais Yaakovs there, and I know about Bruriah. Trying to be sensitive to my daughter's unique derech, I think she may need something a bit more modern. I personally would like her to fit in at a regular BY and maybe she would eventually. But she's very creative, likes to wear nail polish, and we are trying to wean her off non-Jewish music.

But she's also aidel, sensitive and B"H academically smart. But she gets overwhelmed easily when under pressure, which we are working on with her.

I would love any positive insights and school suggestions. Thanks in advance!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:26 am
Maybe Ateres in Monsey.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:10 am
Thank you -- I'll look into it.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:13 am
Your post is unclear. Are you looking for more modern than Bruriah? Bruriah sounds like it could be a good fit.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:30 am
There are plenty of girls in BY high schools who are creative, wear nail polish, and listen to some secular music.

I'm not familiar with the Passaic high schools and how RW they are, and whether they would be a good fit for your DD.

Would Manhatten High be an option? I know that girls commute from Passaic to NYC.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:38 am
Look into Naaleh. It's new, and I hear they are really looking for girls with good middos who are motivated. They're not a beis yaakov, but I believe they are aiming a bit to the right of Bruriah. It sounds kind of perfect on paper if you're willing to take a chance on a new school and they have space.

I am in Passaic. I know there are girls feom here who have been accepted, though not all have answered yet. I think it will do well here because it is needed for girls in the middle.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:39 am
Ma'ayanot in Teaneck

https://www.maayanot.org/

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:45 am
Both Manhattan and Machon Ora have a LOT of work, and at least some pressure associated with it. You can certainly look, because both are open beis yaakovs. BYP isn't as academic (though there are certainly smart girls there) and while there are plenty of girls who may fit OP's description, what they're telling the girls is more cookie cutter beis yaakov. Also, it's huge. But it's really nice for creative girls.

You can also look into Reenas in Edison. It's also a beis yaakov, but a small one, very caring. Academic but not too much pressure. Girls go from here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics