Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o"frummer"-an acceptance exercise-what does YOUR Rav hold?
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next

little neshamala

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 5:50 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Actually, I just checked this over Shabbos. Hurray for imamother! Because I just found out a fascinating bit of information.

According to my dh, it was actually R' Chaim Ozer who paskened that gelatin is kosher, based on the reasons above. Rabbi Abadi is basing his psak on R' Chaim Ozer. And according to dh, again, science backs up by R' Chaim Ozer! And he feels that the kashrus agencies are too chicken to actually follow this psak.

As for me:

I wore my own hair the entire chasunah (my Chassidish friends were in shock).

We use baby wipes on Shabbos.

I don't have to listen to parshas zachar (yup, just came up this Shabbos).

And I only have to daven one thing - like shevach and bakashah, if I am busy. My sister was told she has to daven two shemonei esrei's. I was not told that.

So interesting, thank you.

And im so surprised about not hearing parshas zachor! Wow. So so interesting

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 6:14 pm
Re parshas Zachary, first I'm hearing anyone who holds that. So interesting cuz 8yo ds told us on Shabbos that his rebbe taught him women do NOT have to hear it. We were sure he'd heard wrong so dh looked it up and couldn't find it brought down anywhere that women must hear it...curious how it became such a given in most circles...

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
Re parshas Zachary, first I'm hearing anyone who holds that. So interesting cuz 8yo ds told us on Shabbos that his rebbe taught him women do NOT have to hear it. We were sure he'd heard wrong so dh looked it up and couldn't find it brought down anywhere that women must hear it...curious how it became such a given in most circles...

Just asked dh about parash zachar - he said that it's a machlokes haposkim - the majority hold that you do have to, but the Rav he asked (maybe based on the way the shayla was asked, I don't know for sure) told him that I don't have to. He said that he will look it up later tonight, but he remembers for sure that the Chazon Ish paskens that women don't have to, among other poskim.

pause

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 7:02 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Just asked dh about parash zachar - he said that it's a machlokes haposkim - the majority hold that you do have to, but the Rav he asked (maybe based on the way the shayla was asked, I don't know for sure) told him that I don't have to. He said that he will look it up later tonight, but he remembers for sure that the Chazon Ish paskens that women don't have to, among other poskim.

This is not new to me. I learned that a woman can be yotzei by saying it herself at home.

pause

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 7:03 pm
amother wrote:
Re the bolded: Not necessarily.

A similar example that I have experienced is that on shmini atzeres, I'm told that if my husband has already heard v'sein tal in shul then I would say mashiv haruach, even in shacharis, if I'm davening after that time. (in shul, they only start with mussaf.)

It seems that if the wife davens at home, then certain things can be signified from the husband's davening.

This is completely different than davening being mechayev someone with kiddush.

pause

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 7:04 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Interesting, and makes sense except I do usually daven and my Rav is aware of that so it must be something more...

So, are you saying that even if you finished davening completely, but your DH didn't that you can eat without kiddush? That is very interesting.

little neshamala

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 7:09 pm
pause wrote:
So, are you saying that even if you finished davening completely, but your DH didn't that you can eat without kiddush? That is very interesting.

Yes, that is exactly how my Rav explained it.

SuperWify

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 7:16 pm
On shabbos morning we women can eat until we daven brachos. Once we start davening we need kiddush.

We don’t need to hear parshas zachor- certainly not on Shul- but I try to go anyway because it’s nice. This year DH read it to me from a chumash as home.

We do not hold a kallah needs to completely cover her hair until the couple was intimate. So during the wedding a veil worn is a partial head covering. I left the hall with a big headband that covered my top of my hair and the next morning was a regular shaitel...

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 7:16 pm
pause wrote:

Actually I just read a few weeks ago in the Dirshu Halacha highlights in the Lakewood Shopper a few weeks ago that a man can drink coffee before shachris as it isn't zman kiddush till after musaf

A lady who daverns Shacris can eat until after shacris , then needs to hear kiddush

A lady who only says modeh ani and one bekosha has to make kiddush right away in order to eat..

little neshamala

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 7:25 pm
Some more...

Kids dont need to wait at all between milk and meat until after age 6. Then slowly transition them to 6 hours according to their maturity with the goal of waiting full ammount at age 9.

Same exact thing with tzniyus for girls. No restrictions necessary through age 6, then slowly longer sleeves etc with the goal of age 9 dressing halachicly tzanuah. (Yes this is in monsey lol. Dunno how we get such a weird rep)

I dont think this is halacha-I believe my kallah teacher said it was a minhag that we all do...but either way my Rav said we dont use a white sheet while nida.

rowo

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:
Ha’etz on chocolate

Ha’adama on oats (therefore cannot wash on oats or use oat matza at the Seder)

Horseradish does not qualify as marror bec it’s sharp not bitter

Once heard in a shiur (online, don't remember who it was ) that the marror might be the leaves of the horseradish plant, which are really bitter and not the root that is commonly used.
We grow horseradish and the leaves are quite horrible and bitter

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:

The argument about hearing Zachor hinges on whether it's an independent mitzvah or a prelude to actually fighting Amalek. Some (most?) say that women aren't obligated to kill Amalek, so if they also consider the reading as preparation for fighting, then they will say that women don't have to hear Zachor.

little neshamala

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 10:51 am
And because this was just mentioned on the snood thread...

My Rav holds (like Rav Moshe Feinstein ztl) that the reason we cover our hair after marriage is because once married it takes on a sensual ruach that is reserved for our husbands, and must be physically concealed, whether by a hat, a shaitel, a soup pot, whatever. Has nothing to do with tzniyus or letting the world know im married. (If covering with a shaitel, should be careful to be tzanuah just like with real hair. But it has nothing to do with hair covering)

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 2:26 pm
- dishwasher can be used for dairy and meat together

- don’t have to hear parshas zachor or shofar

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 2:43 pm
My Yeshivish Rav says that when you speak Loshon Hora about someone you give them all of your Mitzvos and they get all of your Aveiros. Based on the amount of Loshon Hora that people speak about me, I am starting to think that only my Rav holds this way.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:
- dishwasher can be used for dairy and meat together

- don’t have to hear parshas zachor or shofar
do you also wash your meat and dairy dishes in the sink together ? Also, are you/ your Rav sefardi?

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
My Yeshivish Rav says that when you speak Loshon Hora about someone you give them all of your Mitzvos and they get all of your Aveiros. Based on the amount of Loshon Hora that people speak about me, I am starting to think that only my Rav holds this way.

This is quoted from the Chovos HaLevavos. I don't think any of us know how things work exactly in Heaven, but it's certainly fright-inducing.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 3:26 pm
I put my random bread from my freezer out in my yard for the birds to eat in honor of this thread. I don't hold it's necessary but figured it's easy enough so why not.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 4:05 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

I don't have to listen to parshas zachar (yup, just came up this Shabbos).

And we don't have to hear shofar either. But it's a good thing to do if you can, and has been widely accepted.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 4:06 pm
We are only allowed take a sip of wine after making kiddish. Everyone else I know is obligated to drink most of the cup. (Referring to the person who is making kiddish, not just partaking).
Page 7 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics