Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Shmitta as a time of Rest and Reflection?

epavard

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 12:36 pm
I have heard that Shmitta, besides being the time that we give the land a rest, is a time of rest, reflection and a time for the hardworking farmer to get close to his family, but I don't have a source for this idea. Does anyone know of such a source (or can you ask your husbands Wink ?)

catonmylap

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 3:42 am
From my dh (who is giving 2 shmitta shiurim):

ספר הכוזרי, ב:ג: אלה הדברים לא הניחה אותם התורה מופקרים, אבל כלם תחת מסורת, מפני שאין ביכולת בני אדם לחלק תקנות כחות הנפש והגוף, ושיעור מה שראוי להם מהמנוחה והתנועה, ושיעור מה שתוציא הארץ עד שתשבות בשמיטה ויובל וינתן ממנה המעשרות, וזולתי זה. וצוה על שביתת השבת ושביתת המועדים ושביתת הארץ, והכל זכר ליציאת מצרים וזכרון למעשה בראשית, מפני ששני הענינים דומים מפני שנעשו בחפץ האלהים לא במקרה ולא בטבע.

ספר החינוך, מצוה פ: יש תועלת אחר נמצא בזה האדם שיוסיף האדם בטחון בשם ברוך הוא, כי כל המוצא עם לבבו לתת ולהפקיר לעולם כל גדולי קרקעותיו ונחלת אבותיו הגדלים בכל שנה אחת, ומלומד בכך הוא וכל המשפחה כל ימיו, לא תחזק בו לעולם מדת הכילות הרבה ולא מיעוט הבטחון.

Kuzari 2:3: The Torah did not leave these matters to one's own devices; rather, they are all within the tradition. It is impossible for human beings to apportion out the improvement of the powers of the soul and the body, and the amount that is appropriate for motion and for rest, and the amount that the land can bring forth until it rests in the sabbatical and jubilee years and what tithes should be taken from it, etc. Therefore, it commands us concerning the rest of the Sabbath and the rest of the festivals and the rest of the land...

Sefer Ha-chinukh, Mitzva 80: There is another benefit in this, that a man will increase his reliance on Hashem Barukh Hu, for anyone who can find it in his heart to give and to declare ownerless to the world all that grows on his land, the inheritance of his ancestors, throughout an entire year--and HE AND HIS FAMILY MAKE THIS THEIR HABIT ALL OF HIS DAYS--such a person will never be overpowered by the attribute of pettiness or faithlessness.

epavard

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 12:34 pm
catonmylap wrote:
From my dh (who is giving 2 shmitta shiurim):

ספר הכוזרי, ב:ג: אלה הדברים לא הניחה אותם התורה מופקרים, אבל כלם תחת מסורת, מפני שאין ביכולת בני אדם לחלק תקנות כחות הנפש והגוף, ושיעור מה שראוי להם מהמנוחה והתנועה, ושיעור מה שתוציא הארץ עד שתשבות בשמיטה ויובל וינתן ממנה המעשרות, וזולתי זה. וצוה על שביתת השבת ושביתת המועדים ושביתת הארץ, והכל זכר ליציאת מצרים וזכרון למעשה בראשית, מפני ששני הענינים דומים מפני שנעשו בחפץ האלהים לא במקרה ולא בטבע.

ספר החינוך, מצוה פ: יש תועלת אחר נמצא בזה האדם שיוסיף האדם בטחון בשם ברוך הוא, כי כל המוצא עם לבבו לתת ולהפקיר לעולם כל גדולי קרקעותיו ונחלת אבותיו הגדלים בכל שנה אחת, ומלומד בכך הוא וכל המשפחה כל ימיו, לא תחזק בו לעולם מדת הכילות הרבה ולא מיעוט הבטחון.

Kuzari 2:3: The Torah did not leave these matters to one's own devices; rather, they are all within the tradition. It is impossible for human beings to apportion out the improvement of the powers of the soul and the body, and the amount that is appropriate for motion and for rest, and the amount that the land can bring forth until it rests in the sabbatical and jubilee years and what tithes should be taken from it, etc. Therefore, it commands us concerning the rest of the Sabbath and the rest of the festivals and the rest of the land...

Sefer Ha-chinukh, Mitzva 80: There is another benefit in this, that a man will increase his reliance on Hashem Barukh Hu, for anyone who can find it in his heart to give and to declare ownerless to the world all that grows on his land, the inheritance of his ancestors, throughout an entire year--and HE AND HIS FAMILY MAKE THIS THEIR HABIT ALL OF HIS DAYS--such a person will never be overpowered by the attribute of pettiness or faithlessness.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your typing all this out for me. Tizki L'Mitzvot! Thank you Exclamation
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics