Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Newborn bump on head

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 1:29 am
Came home from hospital with my newborn and realized she has a big soft bump on her head. I didn't realize it in hospital cause she always wore a hat. And they didn't mention anything. It looks like a bump from being vacuumed but she wasn't-in my knowledge.
Should I be concerned? What could it be?

Teomima

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 1:47 am
Babies born vaginally usually have slightly conical shaped heads at first. But if you're concerned, go to the pediatrician.

blessedflower

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 2:14 am
Teomima wrote:
Babies born vaginally usually have slightly conical shaped heads at first. But if you're concerned, go to the pediatrician.

Right. Sounds normal to me

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 3:38 am
Did the doctor use forceps at delivery? That could cause a bump.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 1:41 pm
If it's over one of her "soft spots" (fontanelles), it should be checked out immediately.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
If it's over one of her "soft spots" (fontanelles), it should be checked out immediately.

Can you explain where that is?
It's corner of her head- side back

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 2:49 pm
Thank you all for your responses!

babysmum

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 2:53 pm
One of my babies had a soft spot on his head about a quarter size, doctor said it filled with fluid while pushing. No vaacum or forceps. He stayed in the hospital an extra day for observation until the fluid reabsorbed.
Another one of my babies had a smaller spot on the back of his head. Thatvi didn't notice until he was a week old. Pediatrician said it's a clot that will be reabsorbed eventually. It was still around when he was 18 months old but at 2 it was gone.
These are my stories. I'd say don't be worried but check it out.

abaker

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 3:46 pm
Just call your midwife or the pediatrician or even the hospital where you delivered. They will either have you come in to check it out or reassure you it's fine. I have a feeling it is probably nothing but for sure just call and find out.

Mazel tov!

yc

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 2:49 am
my baby had the same thing. it was from trauma of pushing (fast birth) and there was blood in there. only implication was that he was yellow for a long time because as the blood was reabsorbed it kept raising the bilirubin because it had a high concentration of it. no long term implications.

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 4:29 am
yc wrote:
my baby had the same thing. it was from trauma of pushing (fast birth) and there was blood in there. only implication was that he was yellow for a long time because as the blood was reabsorbed it kept raising the bilirubin because it had a high concentration of it. no long term implications.

My baby had this too. A soft bump on the back of the head. Its called a hematoma, a blood filled bump due to the baby's specific position during a fast birth. They pointed it out to me. It went away at about 2.5 weeks.

Mazal tov!

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 4:32 am
Thanks for all your replies.

Yes it was a fast birth bh.

happyone

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 7:13 am
However, if the bulge is in an area usually called "the soft spot" it's important to have your doc rule out hydrocephalus. Is it upper side all off the way at back of head?

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 7:22 am
happyone wrote:
However, if the bulge is in an area usually called "the soft spot" it's important to have your doc rule out hydrocephalus. Is it upper side all off the way at back of head?

Soft spot-u mean the front midden of head? Not there. It's hard to explain. Guess it's like a cone but not centered. More to side. Top side. Like If head,would be a square it would be a corner

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 11:41 am
Op here.

My baby is almost 3 weeks and bump is still there!
Showed it to Dr today. He measured it and said to come back next week to measure again. He wants to make sure went down.

He said never saw it so big at 3 weeks. Shouldve gone down after few days. Should I be concerned?

Teomima

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 11:58 am
Perhaps it's worth getting a second opinion, maybe from a pediatric neurologist?

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.

My baby is almost 3 weeks and bump is still there!
Showed it to Dr today. He measured it and said to come back next week to measure again. He wants to make sure went down.

He said never saw it so big at 3 weeks. Shouldve gone down after few days. Should I be concerned?

If it feels like a hematoma by palpation, it probably is. It needs to reabsorb. Follow the Dr's instructions and go next week. If it is still there, ask what to do next. Our Dr ordered a head sono just to check it out since it was not in the typical spot.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:17 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
If it feels like a hematoma by palpation, it probably is. It needs to reabsorb. Follow the Dr's instructions and go next week. If it is still there, ask what to do next. Our Dr ordered a head sono just to check it out since it was not in the typical spot.

How long did it take to go away?

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:
How long did it take to go away?

As I wrote above, it was two and a half or three weeks. But I remember them telling me it would take time to go away and I was surprised it went away when it did.

It's almost like it stays big for a while and then over the space of 48 Hours it just suddenly disappears! One day I noticed it finally looked a bit smaller and then the next day when I looked in the morning it was just gone.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 6:10 pm
Sometimes it needs to be drained before it calcifies
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics