Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Professional Help With Reducing Property Taxes in Brooklyn

smoms

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:28 pm
My homes assessed value is significantly greater than that of the other homes on my block, although my property is smaller. I am looking for someone to help me fight the Assessed Value on my property, which I believe is erroneously inflated.

I appreciate any input or referral.

Thank you.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:31 am
smoms wrote:
My homes assessed value is significantly greater than that of the other homes on my block, although my property is smaller. I am looking for someone to help me fight the Assessed Value on my property, which I believe is erroneously inflated.

I appreciate any input or referral.

Thank you.

I called the dept of finance and they told me the only way to lower property tax in nyc, is proving that my Effective Market Value ( found on http://nycprop.nyc.gov ) is higher than recent sales of similar homes in my area.

They told me to check recent sales here:

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/finan......page

I couldnt find a single house similar to mine with a sale price lower than the Effective Market Value.

They told me comparing neighbors taxes with similar homes, doesnt help me, its not accepted as a basis for lowering my taxes.

I pay over $17,000 a year in property tax for a 3 family house. Forget about other expenses. One tenants rent pays only for property taxes.

Then everyone wants to know why rents are high.

leah233

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:22 am
Not a recommendation but see this link

http://www.brechergroup.com/home.html

They seem to primarily deal with commercial properties but even if so they probably know someone who deals in residential.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:47 am
Is your home a two family home? Those usually end up charging more in taxes compared to other similar homes- from personal experience.

Shoshana37

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:42 am
I think it’s based on square footage outside and inside your house as well. So if you add more floors to your house your property taxes goes up too. If you remove garage your property taxes go up. Everything counts. I admit property taxes are very high and life is really really getting very very expensive .

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:44 am
Shoshana37 wrote:
I think it’s based on square footage outside and inside your house as well. So if you add more floors to your house your property taxes goes up too. If you remove garage your property taxes go up. Everything counts. I admit property taxes are very high and life is really really getting very very expensive .

Why should removing a garage, cause property taxes to go up? Shouldn't it be the opposite? Unless you mean removing garage and adding extension to house?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries