Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Tanachi names that...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

keym

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 9:52 am
Shifra-the midwife who defied Paroh and was rewarded.
Yocheved- mother of Moshe and Aharon.
Miriam- tremendous tzadekes.
Tirtza- bnos tzelafchad. Any of the others are also great but imo Tirtza is the most mainstream.
Devorah- shofet of klal yisrael

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 9:54 am
keym wrote:
Shifra-the midwife who defied Paroh and was rewarded.
Yocheved- mother of Moshe and Aharon.
Miriam- tremendous tzadekes.
Tirtza- bnos tzelafchad. Any of the others are also great but imo Tirtza is the most mainstream.
Devorah- shofet of klal yisrael

Most of these are on my list. Miriam is actually my favorite, but it's my sister's name so I can't use it.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 9:55 am
No one's life is perfect.

What can be more beautiful than emulating someone who had challenges but rose above them successfully?

keym

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 10:00 am
Does it need to be Tanachi? Most of my favorite names are the older (not newer modern) Hebrew names.
Bracha, Malka, Chaya, Tova, Gila, Rina, Chedva, Yehudis, Ora
What about Tzivya? I believe the name Tzviyah- very similar was a tzadekes- wife of a king.

weasley

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
Most of these are on my list. Miriam is actually my favorite, but it's my sister's name so I can't use it.

Why can't you use your sisters name???

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 10:29 am
keym wrote:
Does it need to be Tanachi? Most of my favorite names are the older (not newer modern) Hebrew names.
Bracha, Malka, Chaya, Tova, Gila, Rina, Chedva, Yehudis, Ora
What about Tzivya? I believe the name Tzviyah- very similar was a tzadekes- wife of a king.

Definitely does not need to be Tanach, and you have a lot of my favorites in your list. I just wanted to see if there were any from Tanach that I was missing. And Tzivyah is a good one, actually, thanks!

weasley wrote:
Why can't you use your sisters name???

Am I wrong? I never actually asked a shaila, but I was under the impression one is not supposed to use names of close relatives who are still alive.

losingweight

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 10:38 am
What?? In most families you'll have the same names given to cousins all around if they're named after the same grandfather/grandmother. Or the aunt was named after a great grandmother so the nieces have the same name because it's in their lineage.

Last edited by losingweight on Tue, Mar 13 2018, 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

keym

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 10:38 am
amother wrote:
Am I wrong? I never actually asked a shaila, but I was under the impression one is not supposed to use names of close relatives who are still alive.

I would ask.I was raised that traditional Ashkenazic minhag is not to name same name as parent, grandparent, great grandparent living because of kibud av.
But siblings, aunts, uncles etc are halachicly fine.
Some especially small families shy away from giving the same name. And some welcome it especially if aunt and niece are named after the same relative.
Ask. It wont hurt.

weasley

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 11:15 am
amother wrote:

As people have said above, this only applies to parent, grandparents etc...

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 11:21 am
amother wrote:

I named my daughter after the same great grandmother my sister is named for. We run all our names past our Rav, and he knows my family. It wasn’t an issue. Another 3 of my kids have the same names as DH’s siblings, some of whom have the same name as aunts or uncles of theirs. I’ve never heard that it was a problem.

emzod42

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 11:46 am
I know there's nothing technically wrong with it, but it would feel weird to me to name a child the same name as a sibling or other close family member. I don't have a very large family, though--I can see that being different if I did because more names would be used already.

Miri1

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 12:28 pm
B'sha'ah tova!

Tsivya is a very beautiful name, I can tell you what I know of her from Tanach:

She was a tzadekes from Beer Sheva, and the mother of the righteous King Yehoash who persevered to restore the Beis Hamikdash after years of neglect ( I think he was the youngest reigning king, crowned at age 7, who came out of hiding after being pursued since infancy by the wicked Queen Atalia). You can find it in the Haftara of Parshas Shekalim.

It is pronounced Tsiv-ya in the Tanach, and the more modern version is Tsvi-ya.

Our mesorah is to name after the Tanach Greats who have become great, or displayed their greatness often through their challenges. There may be a very small number of names that some people have a tradition of not using, or of using in a certain form (check with your Rav).

Also, you could consider a traditional name like Bracha, Tova or Gila.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 1:23 pm
Yocheved whats wrong with that. I agree with most of the above. If you want to start Hadasah. I had two aunts with that name and they both had crazy lives. And who is your husband named after did that person have a normal life? But I don't blame him either. Because I saw many Rochels with crazy lives. And I have a different biblical name and I have a pretty rough life-thankfully not terrible but not easy.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
If your husband ever learned the meforshim about Yael (it's probably also in the Gemara because my husband knew it)- he will nix the name.

Okay, you got me curious. Will someone in the know pretty please tell me what she's hinting at?

Shuly

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 3:11 pm
Not Tanachi, but Rav Chaim says they're good names -
Ayala, Shoshana, Efrat, Chagit, Margalit

He also says that accepted Yiddish names are good names too.

Rav Chaim's sister's name was Ahuva.
Rav Elyashiv's daughter (sister of Rebetzin Kanievsky) was Aliza Shoshana.

keym

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 3:33 pm
Shuly wrote:
Not Tanachi, but Rav Chaim says they're good names -
Ayala, Shoshana, Efrat, Chagit, Margalit

He also says that accepted Yiddish names are good names too.

Rav Chaim's sister's name was Ahuva.
Rav Elyashiv's daughter (sister of Rebetzin Kanievsky) was Aliza Shoshana.

Chagit is a Tanachi name. Chagis was one of Dovid Hamelechs wives.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 3:38 pm
keym wrote:
Chagit is a Tanachi name. Chagis was one of Dovid Hamelechs wives.

Wasn’t she Avshalom’s mother? That’s why I didn’t suggest it.

keym

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
Wasn’t she Avshalom’s mother? That’s why I didn’t suggest it.

I thought Adoniyahu's mother. Bad but not as bad.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 3:50 pm
keym wrote:
I thought Adoniyahu's mother. Bad but not as bad.

You’re right. I stand corrected.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 3:54 pm
Yael seduced Sisra. She gave him I think strong wine, slept with him, then killed him with a stake.
I think there may be discussion about her Jewish status.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names