Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Can Anyone Translate This Polish Caption

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 5:25 pm
I am going through storage and closets and came across this photo of my grandmother and great aunts before they came to America in the early 1930's.

I know Plock refers to the Polish city they lived in (or Plotzk) and the last line contains what I assume are their given names - they were anglicized to Regina, Myrna and Frances respectively but I don't know what the rest of it translates to.

Thanks for any help.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 5:27 pm
Is it clear enough for google translate? It's a bit hard to read.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 5:30 pm
Sorry but it's taken through glass frame. It's such a delicate photo that I am afraid to tamper with it. I will try to see if I can play with it to get a clearer photo to post as this was just a very quick snap with my phone.

Thanks for looking.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 5:31 pm
Did you try clicking on the photo because that enlarges it and the lettering is very clear. Of course the handwriting is that funky almost Cyrillic type of script which makes it hard to decipher.

egam

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 8:29 pm
It says the following

To my dear father for memory. Sending beloved daughters Regina, ? and Fela.
I can't figure out the second name but can ask my Polish coworker tomorrow.

L K

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 9:34 pm
Letters of Second name look like Myzolzia or mynolzia, I can't figure out the third letter.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 12:56 am
Thanks

It would make sense because the girls and my great great grandmother had stayed in Poland for a number of years after my great grandfather had come to America in the mid 1920's.

At that time it was very difficult to get a visa for Eastern European Jews and you had to prove financial ability so the father came first and then the rest of the family came when he was able to prove he could support them.

The middle name would have been her Polish name - she was known as Myrna but I think originally had been anglicized to Mindel but she changed it to the more glamorous Myrna - e.g. Myrna Loy homage. These were not Jews who had assimilated into Polish society so interesting they all had the Polish equivalent of "English" names. I looked up Fela and that is a female Polish name - meaning "lucky" and equivalent to Felicity or Felicia in English - I know her pet name was Fegele - when that meant bird instead of gay. Regina of course seems to be the same in English or Polish and I never heard her referred to as anything other than Regina - no Yiddish equivalent for that.

Interesting Polish would have been used for the inscription instead of Yiddish as I would assume that the photo was sent to the great grandfather while the family was apart and one would think that Yiddish instead of Polish would have been used for personal correspondence or memorabilia. I often think of what it was like to immigrate in a time when there were no phone calls - let alone skyping and photography was expensive and done to mark only the most formal occasions.

I know that the last letters exchanged between my branch of the family in America and those who had been left behind stopped fairly soon after the invasion of Poland. The last letter indicated that censorship had taken effect as it said that only the Bubbe was doing well - and the family in America knew the Bubbe had died some years before so they then knew that conditions in Poland for Jews were unspeakable and it was a living hell for the living.

Although the children came to this country as relatively old children - I think my great grandmother was about 11 or so, the children were all very literate graduates of college and spoke without accents. However, they spoke Yiddish amongst themselves and the sisters couldn't speak Polish. Of course they all hated Poland for the prejudice they endured while living there and the unspeakable horror inflicted on those left behind during the Holocaust so there was no nostalgia for the "old country" except for a very attenuated interest by my great grandmother in Polish arts and crafts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics