Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are you happy that school is closed tomorrow?
1  2  Next

No - not looking forward to being stuck with the kids in the house all day  
 14%  [ 13 ]
No - I still have to work, and now I have to figure out childcare arrangements  
 13%  [ 12 ]
No - I was planning to spend the day pesach cleaning, I wont be able to get anything done with the kids around  
 15%  [ 14 ]
Yes -excited to spend the day together  
 15%  [ 14 ]
Yes - Even though the kids are off - I get off to! Now I will have time to pesach clean  
 29%  [ 26 ]
Other  
 11%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 89

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 7:35 pm
If you get off of work what are your plans? just relax? Sleep late? Pesach clean?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 7:39 pm
Yes I'm happy since I love wacky. Yes I'm happy to see dh and dc more. Yes the noise and chaos gets much. Yes what will be w pesach?! I voted other....life aint black and white!

Blessing1

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 7:40 pm
Nope! I love my kids with all my heart & soul, but they had a lot of off lately & they're so bored at home, they go crazy!! But this is something we can't control so I will bake with them for my sisters shabbos sheva brachos!

boysrus

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 7:43 pm
Yes! I am so excited! I get a day off to clean for Pesach! My kids will be less excited because I intend to give them pesach cleaning jobs to do Smile but I will give them incentives... think chocolate, a promise to go out for pizza one night next week etc!

nicole81

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 7:44 pm
So... I work in the public schools. I love having a day off even home with 5 kids.

But... Tomorrow was officially the NYCDOE SAT Day, which I coordinate at our school. I put in months of planning into this. The rescheduled date is two days before my due date! And the PSATs which were supposed to be given tomorrow still have to be given by Friday, which means I need to plan a completely new administration, staffing, and school day schedule in one business day.

I think in this case I couldn't win either way.

benny

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 8:10 pm
Where is school already canceled? Haven’t heard a thing.

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 8:10 pm
Yes very excited I get to sleep in my office is closed too. We are planning to clean up few closets and do laundry . πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Hopefully we’ll acomplish a lot in one extra day ☺️

HappyGoLucky1

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 8:13 pm
Yesss. I can use a change in schedule once in a while. I need sleep. Lots and lots of sleep.

Stars

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 8:14 pm
Doesn't bother me but I'm not thrilled, mostly because we will be bored out of our minds but won't be able to get any real stuff done.

tf

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 8:23 pm
boysrus wrote:
Yes! I am so excited! I get a day off to clean for Pesach! My kids will be less excited because I intend to give them pesach cleaning jobs to do Smile but I will give them incentives... think chocolate, a promise to go out for pizza one night next week etc!

I don't need to give incentives. Pesach cleaning in itself is an incentive. I work together with them, I have a looong to do list posted on my freezer with options that they can choose from. Each chooses what they like to do and when they're done they get to scratch off the task that they did. At first they think there's soooo much to do, but when they scratch off and choose their second task, they find that many more tasks are scratched off already. This gives them cheishik to continue because they find that pesach cleaning isn't so bad. There's lively music going, using soaps, rags,water,vacuum cleaner etc.stuff they usually don't get to use.
For me it's not so fun, but I need to keep my emotions about it locked up tight within myself so it's not carried over to them. When they are done cleaning they feel so accomplished and so willing to be careful ch"v not to take chometz where it's pesachdig. It's the mother's attitude that plays a huge role in the game.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 8:26 pm
Nope. It means I'm stuck working storm duty and my husband has the kids but has to work at the same time. It's never easy.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 9:20 pm
Yup. We all get to sleep in!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 9:28 pm
When is the rescheduled sat/psat day

curlyhead

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 9:37 pm
I wish there was no school then I can get my kids to pesach clean. They are so busy on school days and have no time. They do need down time .

boysrus

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 9:48 pm
tf wrote:
I don't need to give incentives. Pesach cleaning in itself is an incentive. I work together with them, I have a looong to do list posted on my freezer with options that they can choose from. Each chooses what they like to do and when they're done they get to scratch off the task that they did. At first they think there's soooo much to do, but when they scratch off and choose their second task, they find that many more tasks are scratched off already. This gives them cheishik to continue because they find that pesach cleaning isn't so bad. There's lively music going, using soaps, rags,water,vacuum cleaner etc.stuff they usually don't get to use.
For me it's not so fun, but I need to keep my emotions about it locked up tight within myself so it's not carried over to them. When they are done cleaning they feel so accomplished and so willing to be careful ch"v not to take chometz where it's pesachdig. It's the mother's attitude that plays a huge role in the game.

Hi there tf, I would love to know how old your children are. And what gender they are. Because some of mine absolutely do need incentives, and no, it is definitely not a reflection on my attitude. I am enthusiastic and cheerful about pesach cleaning and pesach.
My children are mostly teenagers, who just want to go and hang out with friends, or learn gemara during their free time. They are ALL BOYS...

they DO need incentives, and I mildly take offense to your insinuation that it must be my attitude that means they need incentives.
Please realize that you are extremely blessed. Maybe its your kids' personalities, or maybe its their genders and ages. my kids did NOT need incentives when they were aged 3-12 approx. Things change as they get older. Please do fill us in on the ages adn genders of your children, because I am really curious now as to why they are so enthusiastic. I bet they are not mostly teenage boys...

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 9:59 pm
We never get a paid snow day. I'm responsible for my hours and need to eat them if I can't manage them. This is awful.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 11:23 pm
Nicole81, GAAAAHH!

Amother seafoam, I'm in the same boat except I'm a bit more flexible with the "this is awful" part. I've learned to kind of ride the waves of this kind of job and hope it all evens out at the end.

So basically I'm happy and not happy about the snow day. I would prefer if it didn't snow, especially not tomorrow because it will be extra hard for me to make up (I had some extra sessions scheduled, plus the upcoming vacations limit the possibility for make up time.) But since it's snowing, if the weather turns out to be really nasty I'll be relieved not to have to go out in it (I walk to work, too.) And I've already made a long list of things to accomplish while I'm home (optimistically I think maybe I can do half...)

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 1:48 am
NOT HAPPY! As is, im dreading the schools Pesach vacation next week with my kids sitting and dancing on my head. Ans you cant even send them outdoors because its still winter. HASHEM HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT! I need a plan. How do all you mothers do it? Have your kids home erev pesach so many days? Help.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 2:08 am
I'm not as worried about my kids being off as much as it happens to be Mikva night for me tomorrow wish me luck I didn't break the news yet to my husband since I usually surprise him

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 7:32 am
seeker wrote:
Nicole81, GAAAAHH!

Amother seafoam, I'm in the same boat except I'm a bit more flexible with the "this is awful" part. I've learned to kind of ride the waves of this kind of job and hope it all evens out at the end.

So basically I'm happy and not happy about the snow day. I would prefer if it didn't snow, especially not tomorrow because it will be extra hard for me to make up (I had some extra sessions scheduled, plus the upcoming vacations limit the possibility for make up time.) But since it's snowing, if the weather turns out to be really nasty I'll be relieved not to have to go out in it (I walk to work, too.) And I've already made a long list of things to accomplish while I'm home (optimistically I think maybe I can do half...)

I'd be more calm if I stayed home and just went with the flow but afraid of what staying home says to the higher ups. I don't have satisfactory childcare arrangements.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics