Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Sequins or No?
1  2  Next

Can I wear this skirt?
Yes, this is totally cool!  
 45%  [ 45 ]
I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't think badly of you:)  
 34%  [ 34 ]
All sequins? You're kinda pushing it...  
 9%  [ 9 ]
To each his own, but I would secretly judge you.  
 6%  [ 6 ]
Please do not wear sequins to a seder.  
 6%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 100

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 1:28 pm
I was shopping the sale section in NY & Company yesterday, and I fell in love with a turquoise sequined skirt. The best part is that when you brush the sequins up, they are gold! It's past the knee and ENTIRELY covered in sequins. Here's the question: is it wildly inappropriate to wear this for Peach seder? Or could it pass as artistically eccentric? I plan to wear very modest black on top to tone down the wild factor.

I am an undetermined variety of Orthodox/frum. We go to a Chabad house where they know me well, so there is a lot of variety -- most are less than completely observant. Obviously the Chabad family is ... Chabad. What do you all think?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 1:32 pm
Id love to see a picture. Can you post a link?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 1:34 pm
I want to see a picture, it sounds gorgeous!

I have a knit top that is completely covered in gold sequins, and it looks gorgeous with a solid black skirt. I think that if you balance your "bling" with a classic outfit, you can pull it off.

On the other hand, I'll never forget the woman who wore a bright red sequin miniskirt, fishnet stockings, and 4 inch heels, on Yom Kippur! shock

Considering how she was dressed, I'll admit I had to wonder what she was atoning for. embarrassed

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 1:39 pm
It sounds fabulous especially toned down with a plain black top - I am assuming a tunic style rather than tucked in as I think that is a more "dressed down" type of styling.

Given where you are going, I can't imagine it offending the sensibilities of anyone.

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 1:42 pm
I vote yes.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 2:47 pm
Good news for me and my sequins;)

It's longer than in the pic -- because I wear it at my WAIST, not my bra line.

https://www.nyandcompany.com/E.....id=AL!5230!3!224065327331!!!g!296035154869!&ef_id=WrKnIAAAARJ9LbUc:20180321184340:s

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 3:03 pm
It's a great skirt. Do you think a lighter color top, like off white, will look better than a black one?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 3:04 pm
So pretty! So fun!

InnerMe

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 3:06 pm
Looks super cool! Go for it! I don't get it.. why would anyone think "no sequins at a seder?" Scratching Head Is it because a sequin can land in your soup and make it chametz? LOL Or perhaps there are some rules I'm not aware of...

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 3:10 pm
I have to confess, it sounded awful in your description, but its really, really cute. Wear it in good health.

Just don't wear it to the seder with this shirt:

OutATowner

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 3:13 pm
I love it when the colors are mixed.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 3:39 pm
FF - I'm glad to know I'm not the only sequined lady:)

I haven't been able to find a suitable tunic, but I have a thrift-store Liz Claiborne that looks like this:
https://poshmark.com/listing/B.....02377

I have thought about white, but I am always afraid of spills/stains. Based on my history, there is an 80% chance that I will drip wine on myself. But I"m feeling very adult this year, so maybe it's worth the risk. Do you all think white would be better? You know... I have this winter white fly-away crocheted thingy ... but I have yet to figure out what to put under it.

haha -- it's not a chometz issue... IS IT?!?!? Just kidding. It's not a seder specific question. I'm not from these parts, so I sometimes worry that I will unintentionally do something inappropriate.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 3:39 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I have to confess, it sounded awful in your description, but its really, really cute. Wear it in good health.

Just don't wear it to the seder with this shirt:

I want one, though.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 4:24 pm
Funky! I probably wouldn't wear it to seder, only because so much of seder night is spend sitting down, and I'm not sure how comfortable I would be seated all night in a skirt covered with sequins in the front and back.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 5:00 pm
I love it. I think with black it tones it down and makes it more sedate and elegant. by day with white it's fresh and pretty.
enjoy it!

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 5:35 pm
I think it would be better with black. But then, everything I own is black.

Maybe dark brown.

Love those changeable sequins! My kids have some tops with them.

Boca00

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 5:42 pm
Love those colors! Go for it with that top- black is practical for the Seder.

animeme

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 5:43 pm
Honestly, I wouldn't, but only because I would think it might not be comfortable to sit in for that long.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 5:47 pm
I once heard a very clever thing. If you have doubt that something is tznues'dig/eidel enough, than don't do it. B/c if it would be 100 percent okay you wouldn't have doubt. And really we should strive for 100 percent.

Oh btw from your description it's sounds really okay and very pretty. But doubt is never a good sign when it comes to clothing. You should do what your feelings are telling you

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 6:40 pm
Totoally agree with wheat amother. If your not sure then that is a sign that you have sensitivity to tznius and being modest. If your questioning then listen to your gut. You have intuition and that's great. Many people don't think twice and just do what they want. Kudos to you for thinking about it.

I wouldn't personally wear it because it's too flashy. I don't own much sequence at all. Just a drop on one of my things and it doesn't look anywhere as flashy as this. This is my opinion you can ignore it and do as you wish. You asked so I answered.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics