Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Would you save these for next year?
Previous  1  2

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 2:27 am
shanie5 wrote:
Unopened pesach crumbs can be saved too. I've saved almost everything listed. Nuts in the freezer cuz I did have 1 bag go rancid that was not frozen. Honey I use enough of not to bother saving, and I never buy coconut, so have no reason to save it.

I was given 2 jars mayonnaise that are unopened. Think I should try saving them?

Do they have an exp. date printed on them? If not, I would use them during the year. Check regular mayonnaise jars (not for pesach), at least where I live they have an exp date of only a few months.

Last edited by Bnei Berak 10 on Mon, Apr 09 2018, 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 2:32 am
Librarian wrote:
Never had a problem saving nuts from year to year

Even if they are ground? In my experience, whole nuts with shell keep very well, whole nuts without shell keep but not that well. Ground nuts tend to lose their freshness and some of the flavour because they are ground.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 2:41 am
[quote="Iymnok"]If honey crystallizes, you just need to heat it to make it liquid again.
The nuts may turn rancid, so freeze them.
Matza meal needs to be airtight.
Chocolate chips may discolor, but once baked they will look normal.
Coconut has stored fine for me.[/quote]

You keep it in the freezer or room temperature? I find it doesn't store well outside the freezer and loses it's charm due to high fat content.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 2:52 am
If someone for any reason doesn't want or can save pesach items, now is the ultimate time to try out that new pesach cake recipe (while fresh in mind) that you wanted to try but never got to do before YT.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 9:54 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Unopened packages of Kosher for Pesach:

Shredded coconut- if you have no place to use it during the year, yes, but check to make sure not rancid before using

Ground walnuts- same as coconut
Matzah meal/- if not open
Chocolate chips- same Re rancid
Honey- yes

For some reason, this year none of these items have use-by dates (to get me to buy them new each year? Or so they can sell the same ones each year?)

So what would you do?

Metukah

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 10:22 am
I keep unopened packages of ground nuts (but only this with an expiry date of the next year pesach; even a week or 2 before), unopened oil, coconut and potato flour. (I don't buy the rest of the items on your list).

I do it every year and it is always fine.

shanie5

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 8:54 pm
The mayo says Feb 2019. I only use Hellmans mayo the rest of the year, so likely won't use the pesach ones at all until next year.
Unless someone has a good recipe to cook with it?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 10:18 pm
can you keep apple cider vinegar with the mother...? no exp date on it

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 11:05 pm
shanie5 wrote:
The mayo says Feb 2019. I only use Hellmans mayo the rest of the year, so likely won't use the pesach ones at all until next year.
Unless someone has a good recipe to cook with it?

The next time you have a party or large crowd and need a dip for a vegetable platter, or make a salad bar with a variety of dressings, open and use the bottles.

thanks

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
can you keep apple cider vinegar with the mother...? no exp date on it

I keep apple cider vinegar and other types of vinegar.
I also buy some things on sale now like cake mixes. That way, as soon as I turn over, I can pop a cake in the oven.

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 12:41 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Sure, I use some of these items, like mayo, during the year too. But when the price difference is so great, it seems kedai to save the items. Definitely items that one doesn't use. And sometimes you can get great deals on some items post-Pesach.

I would save a lot more if we had space! Smile But we already have to rent a storage space for stuff dh can't bear to part with, so saving more Pesach food literally costs money. And I only have the small freezer that came with my fridge -- and no room for a chest freezer. So I save one bankers box of unopened food that I know will keep, and that's it. We buy almost everything on sale to begin with, so I think it works out.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:27 am
In my experience, Pesach crumbs do not keep until the next year. They turn rancid.

(So do ground and shelled nuts, but that has already been addressed in the thread.)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:48 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
In my experience, Pesach crumbs do not keep until the next year. They turn rancid.

(So do ground and shelled nuts, but that has already been addressed in the thread.)

Again, depending where you store them. Very well packed in the freezer they should be fine.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 7:59 am
lavenderchimes wrote:
I would save a lot more if we had space! Smile But we already have to rent a storage space for stuff dh can't bear to part with, so saving more Pesach food literally costs money. And I only have the small freezer that came with my fridge -- and no room for a chest freezer. So I save one bankers box of unopened food that I know will keep, and that's it. We buy almost everything on sale to begin with, so I think it works out.

That's the key: do the best you can within your given parameters and you're already a step ahead.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics