Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Is pesach in Florida really bliss?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 4:24 pm
I'm just pondering.... Is pesach in Florida so amazing? I live in NY and it really empties out bc everyone going to FL... What am I missing out on? All I'm. Hearing and seeing (on instragam, whatsapp) is people raving about Florida , if it was so amazing why isn't everyone moving there? I understand that it's nice weather but what else?
I feel sort of left out and I don't know why?

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 5:31 pm
I went last year to Florida with another family. We stayed in one house.
The weather was stunning.
Cooking was a breeze because we were 2 families cooking together.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 5:34 pm
How do you shlep all the food and dishes and pots and groceries...and and and...refills...???

WhatFor

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 5:37 pm
Bliss? Some people from colder climates probably enjoy it because of the weather. I personally prefer travel to fun places when I'm not busy with chag but to each their own. (Also as a personal preference, Florida is not very high on my list of favorite places I've been to. It's okay but not that special to me.)

Of course if the destination will directly enhance the chag element of the chag (for example, in Israel) then I enjoy it more for a chag vacation. Maybe for some people the Florida vacation community does that as well.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 5:38 pm
I think it's the weather and the fact that it feels like a vacation.
Nothing is really 'bliss"
And Instagram is not something to be getting facts from 😀
Moving to Florida is not the same- the weather in the summer is too hot and muggy, and then you take away the "vacation" feel factor.
Also if you go to a program someone else is cleaning, cooking, etc which would also make it easier 😉

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 5:45 pm
amother wrote:
How do you shlep all the food and dishes and pots and groceries...and and and...refills...???

We shleped meat, some pots and Silverware. I have a airline cc, got free checked bags. Clothing was in handbags. We rented a car to go from airport to the house we rented. Used the car to do a big grocery shopping in Florida before we returned it.

We had a supermarket walking distance. Eggs and kosher milk was a short walk away.

The house had a pool. We used Uber to get around and rented a car for one day trip.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 7:25 pm
I have done it for sukkos many times. We rent a house for us its exactly like making Yom tov in ny but it's a change of scenery. We rent a house with a sukkah and cook. We shop there and bring a couple pots. We bring some of the meat from here and we try to either get checked bags free or we drive down.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 7:28 pm
I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of driving 45 hours or so with the kids in the car.

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of driving 45 hours or so with the kids in the car.

Where do you live that Florida is a 45 hour drive?
It’s under 23 hours from NY- and I know people that have done it in 18 hours (not recommended Wink )

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 8:14 pm
cnc wrote:
It’s under 23 hours from NY- and I know people that have done it in 18 hours (not recommended Wink )

I meant 45 hours round trip.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 8:14 pm
cnc wrote:

I think she meant round trip

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 3:49 am
amother wrote:
I'm just pondering.... Is pesach in Florida so amazing? I live in NY and it really empties out bc everyone going to FL... What am I missing out on? All I'm. Hearing and seeing (on instragam, whatsapp) is people raving about Florida , if it was so amazing why isn't everyone moving there? I understand that it's nice weather but what else?
I feel sort of left out and I don't know why?

OP, since when do people post the reality and naked truth on instagram and whatsapp? Also, since people spent nice money and quite an effort to go to Florida, do you expect them to say that they didn't enjoy it? It's what you call 'keeping up apprearances'.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 7:56 am
My friends do that every year they buy everything from NY freeze their meet and drive to Florida for full pesah. I told hubby next year we are doing same thing I need some change and this year was very tuff holiday as my teenagers are driving us insane so hoping pool will keep them busy.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:12 am
I live in Florida and I don't understand why more people don't move here. However the whole vacation and yomim tovimim Florida thing I think is totally rediculous and getting completely out of hand.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:19 am
amother wrote:
I live in Florida and I don't understand why more people don't move here. However the whole vacation and yomim tovimim Florida thing I think is totally rediculous and getting completely out of hand.

As in 'it has become the new must have' thing? Or?

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
I meant 45 hours round trip.

Ah that makes sense... my mistake.

pause

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:39 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
As in 'it has become the new must have' thing? Or?

I imagine a community that's building itself doesn't do well when its numbers swell unpredictably and uncontrollably. The masses descending upon Orlando are seen as an onslaught to many, not unlike the way the Catskills is invaded for two months every summer; the locals resent it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:47 am
OP, I don't know, but I can tell you the seder at my table was really bliss.

(Letting you know because you won't find any pictures of it on Instagram.)

amother
White

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:51 am
pause wrote:
I imagine a community that's building itself doesn't do well when its numbers swell unpredictably and uncontrollably. The masses descending upon Orlando are seen as an onslaught to many, not unlike the way the Catskills is invaded for two months every summer; the locals resent it.

What do you mean by the bolded? I'm a different Florida amother, and I will say that it's probably similar to the Catskills in that the vacationers don't realize how different the local culture is here. This makes them come across as rude and obnoxious, when they're just acting the same way they do back home.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 9:51 am
amother wrote:

Why? That's my question, what's different that makes Florida special? Would love to know
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries