Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to cleveland without a plan
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 7:22 am
And whoever is saying you Can buy a house for 100k - maybe in Cleveland heights, DEFINITELY not in university heights or Beachwood.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 7:55 am
amother wrote:
And whoever is saying you Can buy a house for 100k - maybe in Cleveland heights, DEFINITELY not in university heights or Beachwood.

Exactly! Please do your research! You will not find a decent house for 100k in UH. Beachwood forget about. It’s not cheap there.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 8:39 am
amother wrote:
Exactly! Please do your research! You will not find a decent house for 100k in UH. Beachwood forget about. It’s not cheap there.

I've seen gorgeous houses in Beachwood for 250k. That is still a steal compared to my neighborhood where 900k can get you 1800 square feet

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 8:43 am
Post a link of a gorgeous Beachwood home for that price.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:14 am
marina wrote:
As the article noted, this situation is not about genuine competition. It is about people asking for public tax funds to pay for their children's religious education. That is very different, especially when people are moving just for that.

I don't see a problem with the government funding the secular part of the religious school's education. Obviously this is something that will have to be hashed out in court at some point, if that hasn't already happened.

The article noted that private (religious) schools take away money from the public schools when they receive vouchers. Well my feeling is - maybe they should. Maybe that will make the public schools sit up and take notice.

I'm sorry if I'm diverting op's thread, I was just responding to an article marina posted. I have no skin in the game, as I don't live in Cleveland and don't know anyone who does.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
I've seen gorgeous houses in Beachwood for 250k. That is still a steal compared to my neighborhood where 900k can get you 1800 square feet
location in Beachwood is important. You need to be walking distance to the Shul’s on Green Road (Unless you are LW MO) there are very few houses available, and never for a bargain.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
location in Beachwood is important. You need to be walking distance to the Shul’s on Green Road (Unless you are LW MO) there are very few houses available, and never for a bargain.

I have a sis in law in Beachwood. She took me for a walk on yom tov and pointed out various houses were friends of herself and her kids live. When we got to a certain point 10 minutes maybe from Green) she said no one Frum is living so far out. I thought it was laughable. Those of us 'in town' have no problem walking 15-20 minutes to shul. There is way more available on the market once you shed the 'I must be on a frum block' mentality. Once you take the plunge, the block will turn. Except you will have paid 200k for your house and those who jump in later will pay 300+.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:
I have a sis in law in Beachwood. She took me for a walk on yom tov and pointed out various houses were friends of herself and her kids live. When we got to a certain point 10 minutes maybe from Green) she said no one Frum is living so far out. I thought it was laughable. Those of us 'in town' have no problem walking 15-20 minutes to shul. There is way more available on the market once you shed the 'I must be on a frum block' mentality. Once you take the plunge, the block will turn. Except you will have paid 200k for your house and those who jump in later will pay 300+.

Can you send a link to such a house? Even 10 minutes out you can’t find anything for that price.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:

I’m skeptical of this information... almost every block is already “the frum area” in Beachwood by this point in time - everything from Green to Richmond and from Cedar to Fairmont. Go past Richmond and you’re outside the eruv (unless that’s changed in the past few years), go past Cedar and you’re in South Euclid/Lyndhurt. Past Green you’re in UH. And to my knowledge people don’t really live much past Fairmont, and even if you do, those homes are expensive for other reasons. $200k is VERY low. I would venture to guess that the lowest price for a reasonably move in ready house in Beachwood is upward of $250 at this point, and usually higher.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 2:41 pm
I purchased a house in beachwood within half a mile from the shuls a few years back for under 200

It is possible don’t give up

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 2:49 pm
amother wrote:
I purchased a house in beachwood within half a mile from the shuls a few years back for under 200

It is possible don’t give up

“A few years back” makes an enormous difference.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 4:18 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
“A few years back” makes an enormous difference.

Yes those are the key words. Just take one look at Zillow and you will see that there are no gorgeous homes in Beachwood for 250k.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 5:15 pm
We just bought in CH for $90,000

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 5:22 pm
CH is very good value because the houses are bigger and cheaper. But for many people they’re looking for specifically UH / Beachwood. I know I wouldn’t have considered CH, regardless of price.

marina

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 8:18 pm
All of these are within easy walking distance from the shuls. 10-15 min walking

https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....=true

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:15 pm
marina wrote:
People who move for vouchers that they can only get through a failing school system are unlikely to vote to improve that system. This will create - and has created - considerable community discord. This is in addition to the fact that the district loses money on each voucher student. The situation here is getting more tense and unpleasant btw the communities. That is the situation here and I do not know of any source that this outcome is what the legislature intended. Please cite some sources but in the interim, plse invite people coming exclusively for vouchers to move to your town.

That's a political view, one you're entitled to, but the facts remain that Ohio does want people to move in!
HB 59 from General Assembly 130
http://archives.legislature.st......html
Entering year 2014, they increased vouchers to newcomers to the state. I can't research much now, but I have definitely seen it that the argument was used that more people will move to Ohio and help the economy (we all pay state taxes!)

Additionally, the EdChoice Expansion, AFAIK, is from a different pool of money and isn't taken away from the public school district. That's for the low income segment of people.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:17 pm
marina wrote:
Ok, but how far is this going to go? Shall we invite all of Brooklyn to move here? What would this look like for the District if hundreds of families start moving in- all of whom would have a financial interest in seeing the District fail? Can you see where this would be an awful scenario?

There is pending legislation to change it to be an Opportunity Scholarship vs EdChoice which would only look at income and not failing public school districts, so failure of the district wouldn't be anyone's hope Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:19 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I don't see a problem with the government funding the secular part of the religious school's education. Obviously this is something that will have to be hashed out in court at some point, if that hasn't already happened.

The article noted that private (religious) schools take away money from the public schools when they receive vouchers. Well my feeling is - maybe they should. Maybe that will make the public schools sit up and take notice.

I'm sorry if I'm diverting op's thread, I was just responding to an article marina posted. I have no skin in the game, as I don't live in Cleveland and don't know anyone who does.

It has been hashed out in court and was ruled to be fine.

And to be even more forthcoming, there are additional monies given by the State of Ohio to private schools that are for use in the secular studies. Vouchers, honestly, are just a portion of how the state helps religious schools be able to afford quality education in secular subjects. (And I'll be frank, schools may even lose out because of the voucher system.)

marina

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:50 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
There is pending legislation to change it to be an Opportunity Scholarship vs EdChoice which would only look at income and not failing public school districts, so failure of the district wouldn't be anyone's hope Smile

I would be in favor of this change.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:25 am
the problem with this change is that it will ONLY attract lower income people ( I realize it depends how many kids you have etc... so plenty of people who wouldn't qualify for food stamps... will probably still qualify for some discount) to move to the community since it is income based , how is that beneficial for the local economy? May be I'm biased because when we moved according to the new rules we wouldn't qualify for any tuition break. The way it was before it was attractive to people who elsewhere would have had to pay full tuition without any breaks because they earned too much.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating