Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How can we make this work? going upstate with a sick child
1  2  Next

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 2:08 am
Has anyone ever done this? we currently have 24/7 nursing care for our technologically dependent child. it is very important for our family to go upstate for the summer as we live in a tiny apt. with no backyard or porch.
I am ready and willing to make this happen so my other kids can have an enjoyable summer. just trying to figure out the logistics though...

We will most likely not be able to get nursing coverage upstate, so that means I will need to do full medical care for child. I'm fine with that. the issue is that I will not be able to leave my bungalow without either bringing child along or having someone stay behind to keep an eye (they will not have to be fully trained, but mature and know what to look out for to be able to alert me as needed) and of course I'll have to be in very close vicinity.

Another question- how is Hatzalah upstate? we've never b'H needed emergency transport to the hospital but life with a kid like this can be unpredictable...Sad. should we be choosing location based on this? (suppose Fallsburg over lets say Swan Lake?)

the only way we can afford to go upstate is if my husband gets a job, so being that we've done this in the past, I know that I cannot rely on his help at all as this type of job takes away many day/night hours.

so in summary, I suppose I would need s/o to help me be there for my other kids or sick child.
We are also looking at plenty Manhattan appointments and 2 surgeries this summer (hopefully) with hospital admissions. so what happens then? I leave the kids in the care of a nice lady in the camp? (staying home actually leaves us with less desirable options...)

Sorry so long...

Suggestions?
Thank you!

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 5:08 am
White Glove Community Care is licensed to service upstate. (718) 828-2666.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 5:38 am
I would definitely stay in fallsburg over swan lake because there are much more hatzola members in the area. Maybe find a camp that has an emt on sight? Response time in the Catskills is generally longer than in the city.
Do you know anyone in a camp/colony that you can go with? If you know someone in the same colony you'll have an easier time with babysitting, you have to go with a plan & not assume that anyone in the camp will do it as you don't know them from before.
Loads of luck!!!!

SingALong

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 5:51 am
Would hiring a mothers helper for before day camp hours and after be an option? To help with your other kids, take them to the park, pool, watch them outside? In the event you don’t have nursing, and need to be available most of the time by the bungalow, maybe that idea would work.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 6:25 am
Can you supplement the nurse's salary and convince her to come upstate with you?
If the child is technology dependent, does that mean you're taking a generator to deal with blackouts?
If you need to leave for appointments, you will need to have prearranged childcare for the other kids otherwise you may get stuck taking the kids to the appointments with you.
I agree with staying in South Fallsburg. I am wondering if you're not better off renting a real house where there are real resources in Monsey or Monroe or using your money to move to an apartment that has more outdoor space so you can stay home with proper medical care and resources.

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 6:27 am
Would it make sense to go out of the city but not all the way upstate? Many families come to Monsey for the summer? There may be more resources here for you.

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 8:20 am
Agree with all those saying South Fallsburg.
The Hatzolah garage is there and their response time is very good.

happy12

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 8:42 am
Every camp should have an EMT of nurse.
Just realize the closest good hospital is about 1-1 1/2 hours away.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 8:43 am
Monsey also sounds like a great plan, u'll have better resources. But you probably won't have a pool & you will have to be out whenever kids are out. In a colony they're more free to run around.

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 9:37 am
happy12 wrote:
Every camp should have an EMT of nurse.
Just realize the closest good hospital is about 1-1 1/2 hours away.

Middletown has a top hospital (although it depends on what specialty you need). It can be 45 min away depending on where you’re located.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 11:16 am
some replys on some questions- Monsey wouldn't work. as I mentioned the only way we can do this is if my husband gets a job in a camp. Then we have the issue that I don't know how picky we can be with location, but hopefully a job in Fallsburg works out.
About nurses- since we're at the mercy at the bungalow the camp will provide- I can imagine the size, and can't imagine a nurse there. but hey, if they're willing to come we'll make it work for at least during the day. (I already asked my current nurse and she said it is too far for her)

Good point about the generator, it is definitely something we have on our wish-list to get. I guess we will need to get one as not all her equipment operate on battery to give us a few hours leeway in case of blackout...

As of now we don't know yet where we are going so I can't know if I know anyone in the place. I would love to go somewhere I know people but I don't see that happening. We do have a job offer in 2 camps in Swan Lake and we have a pretty close relative in one of them, but it doesn't seem like this job will work out for other factors Sad.

about a mothers helper- how do I go about this? it would really be the solution...
Thank you everyone for your replys!

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
some replys on some questions- Monsey wouldn't work. as I mentioned the only way we can do this is if my husband gets a job in a camp. Then we have the issue that I don't know how picky we can be with location, but hopefully a job in Fallsburg works out.
About nurses- since we're at the mercy at the bungalow the camp will provide- I can imagine the size, and can't imagine a nurse there. but hey, if they're willing to come we'll make it work for at least during the day. (I already asked my current nurse and she said it is too far for her)

Good point about the generator, it is definitely something we have on our wish-list to get. I guess we will need to get one as not all her equipment operate on battery to give us a few hours leeway in case of blackout...

As of now we don't know yet where we are going so I can't know if I know anyone in the place. I would love to go somewhere I know people but I don't see that happening. We do have a job offer in 2 camps in Swan Lake and we have a pretty close relative in one of them, but it doesn't seem like this job will work out for other factors Sad.

about a mothers helper- how do I go about this? it would really be the solution...
Thank you everyone for your replys!

Is it possible for DH to get a job in a Monsey camp?

There are places in Monsey that have free range children, so yours would have groups to play with.

The reason I thought Monsey would be better is that the home should be bigger, and maybe you could have nursing.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 1:18 pm
The Raleigh usually has well trained Hatzalah- they're in South Fallsburg.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 1:24 pm
cnc wrote:
Middletown has a top hospital (although it depends on what specialty you need). It can be 45 min away depending on where you’re located.

Middletowns hospitals are still Middletown.
Its not first choice for year round Upstate residents either.
They flock to Columbia Mt Sinia Hackensack and Montifiore Hospitals for a reason.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 1:31 pm
Some camps accept some campers as mothers helpers combined. Call each camp. Also once you know your location advertising for a mothers helper might be an idea. Might be a little pricey

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 4:27 pm
Slightly off topic, but if this child is around preschool age, my friend was just telling me she works for a program that sends teachers to the house of sick children once a week and I thought it was so interesting cuz I never heard of it before.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 4:54 pm
I would think that the best solution would be to stay put with the medical care and backup that your medically fragile child needs, and to send the other kids to camps in the area. There are a large number of camps that provide busing from NYC neighborhoods, and that offer enjoyable outdoor activities.

Do you or your husband work other than the summer? Would that salary afford you the ability to pay for camp? Or might there be scholarships available? And if not, perhaps one of you could get a job at one of these camps.

It just seems that this would be best for your medically fragile child, and would also afford you the most ability to spend time with the other kids.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 12:35 am
SixOfWands wrote:
I would think that the best solution would be to stay put with the medical care and backup that your medically fragile child needs, and to send the other kids to camps in the area. There are a large number of camps that provide busing from NYC neighborhoods, and that offer enjoyable outdoor activities.

Do you or your husband work other than the summer? Would that salary afford you the ability to pay for camp? Or might there be scholarships available? And if not, perhaps one of you could get a job at one of these camps.

It just seems that this would be best for your medically fragile child, and would also afford you the most ability to spend time with the other kids.

I know I have an option to stay home (in my sweltering tiny top floor apt. that doesnt cool off even with ac blasting all day)
I can send to daycamp (kids are preschool & toddler age) but once they get home we will be stuck. last summer was spent in the hospital. this summer my kids deserve the great outdoors. I work but will be'h be able to take my job along to camp, no need to stay in the city & work in a day camp.

my husband does freelance work so we have the option of him getting a camp job. its also kind of his dream and that is another whole big reason for us to go upstate. it was very hard for him to give up his dream summer last year. and he even joked (?) to me when I spent shabbos @ a kimpeturin place that he'll go to camp. he gave it up last yr & felt so stifled having to spend time in the hospital instead.
'Geinig uisgepacked du'.
I guess we will wait for the end of the week to confirm abt the job option in fallsburg.
& if my sil agrees, my mil said she might 'spare' her for us- if we find her occupation for the rest of the day she will come and be my mothers helper...
In any case, I guess we just daven that e/t works out for the best and falls into place sooner rather than later...

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 12:54 am
amother wrote:
White Glove Community Care is licensed to service upstate. (718) 828-2666.

Thank you,
Have you actually gotten services from them upstate? our agency is also licensed for upstate. only there's a big gap from being licensed and having providers in any given area.
I'm waiting for a call back from HR to see if they will be able to find s/o for us. I will also give white glove a call, but overall, even in the city they don't always have coverage for cases like my child. I can't imagine it being worth to switch... but we will reach out to them.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 7:50 am
We had a child on equipment (trach...) about 16 years ago. My advice may be outdated but somehow I think the mountains has probably only gotten better equipped than it was back then. As a mother I completely understand your need to get out of the city and up to the mountains for a change of pace, scenery, fresh air for everyone. We were really nervous about lots of details but in the end it was the best decision we made. We hired an excellent nurse privately (I understand this may not be an option for you), and Bh has no emergencies. I hope you ge to go and are able to work out he details.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics