Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
S/o which prophecies did you see come true?
1  2  Next

relish

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 11:27 am
etky wrote:
This is exactly what I feel too.
The prophecies of the nevi'im are coming true before our eyes.
There never has been anything ordinary about the history of the Jewish people and the past 70 years have been nothing short of an open miracle.
I live and breathe a miracle every day. That is all the proof I need.

I found this post so intriguing. I'll be the first to admit that I'm an am ha'aretz, and I don't know the first thing about the prophecies. Can you share some more detail, and bring some sources if possible? I would love to learn more.

This is a spinoff of this thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....38281

etky

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 11:59 am
Well, to start with, this past week's haftorah (kedoshim) from perek 9 of Amos (the only nevuat nechama in the entire book btw), which in very timely fashion was read on the Shabbat after Yom Ha'atzmaut.

הִנֵּה יָמִים בָּאִים, נְאֻם-יְהוָה, וְנִגַּשׁ חוֹרֵשׁ בַּקֹּצֵר, וְדֹרֵךְ עֲנָבִים בְּמֹשֵׁךְ הַזָּרַע; וְהִטִּיפוּ הֶהָרִים עָסִיס, וְכָל-הַגְּבָעוֹת תִּתְמוֹגַגְנָה. יד וְשַׁבְתִּי, אֶת-שְׁבוּת עַמִּי יִשְׂרָאֵל, וּבָנוּ עָרִים נְשַׁמּוֹת וְיָשָׁבוּ, וְנָטְעוּ כְרָמִים וְשָׁתוּ אֶת-יֵינָם; וְעָשׂוּ גַנּוֹת, וְאָכְלוּ אֶת-פְּרִיהֶם. טו וּנְטַעְתִּים, עַל-אַדְמָתָם; וְלֹא יִנָּתְשׁוּ עוֹד, מֵעַל אַדְמָתָם אֲשֶׁר נָתַתִּי לָהֶם--אָמַר, יְהוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 12:19 pm
There was a very interesting clip going around before Purim. Esther Hamalka asked to hang the ten sons- and in the megilla there are three letters in capital letters( in big aleph bais) by that sentence. It comes out to the year the ten top aides from Hitler y"s was hung. There were originally 11 men sentenced to by hung but one killed himself first. Anyone saw it?

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 12:22 pm
I'm terrible at this because my memory is awful, but I too get really wowed every time I do read about a prophecy that has come true.

I wish I could remember the details but some years back I took a tour of Yad Vashem with maybe it was Mrs. Tarshish? Someone very knowledgeable. As we toured, she went through various ways in which events surrounding the holocaust were consistent with prophecies in Tanach. Extremely eerie but, in my opinion, a much better way to answer "where was G-d during the Holocaust?" than answering with miracle stories, which to me just begs the question of how does that begin to cover all that was not miraculously saved.

And then there's 1. the continued existence of the Jewish people and 2. our return to Eretz Yisrael. Granted we're still waiting for a full redemption, but who would have believed that there would even exist a huge Jewish community in Israel after hundreds to thousands of years of exile and devastation?

How about the irrationality of anti-Semitism? Why is it that over tens of civilizations and thousands of years, anyone even gives a darn what happens to a tiny percentage of the population that are mostly assimilated (think about the Holocaust again, if you want - you could say that maybe people now are picking on ultra-orthodox but in the Holocaust they didn't care. And anti-Israel - a solid chunk of Israel is non-chareidi.) Anti-semitism is predicted by the Torah and explained in various ways.

And every few years there are more and more stories of how Hashem keeps his promises to those who keep Shmittah. There are not many mitzvos that come with promises, so you don't get to say either "so-and-so does good and got good, so that means there's a G-d" or "so-and-so does good and got bad, so that means there is no G-d or that G-d is cruel and random." You only get to do that with certain mitzvos, and shmittah is the clearest one. The Torah assures that farmers will not lose out by keeping the fallow year, and in the last half-century or so there have been increasing initiatives to get people on board - with amazing results. And I have never heard any opposite story, where someone kept shmittah to the letter according to rabbinical advice and then lost out from it. Not one. I imagine if it were to happen, the person it happened to would be so resentful of the shmittah-promoters that they would make their story quite public.

etky

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 1:16 pm
Aside from what I quoted in Amos, nevi'im achronim are replete with prophecies about the ingathering of the exiles and the rebuilding of the land of Israel, especially Jerusalem, from its desolation. Prime examples are Yirmiyahu 31-33, Yechezkel 36, and many prakim in Yishayahu ( 49 and 60 are some of my favorites).
While other elements have yet to materialize: Yishayahu's supernatural prophecies of the end of days, the rebuilding of the Temple and the reinstatement of the House of David, Yechezkel, Yoel and Zechariah's prophecies of apocalyptic, international war in the Land of Israel etc, we are beginning to see the fulfillment of some of what the prophets foresaw in their most beautiful prophecies.
Living in Israel, we sometimes take it for granted because it is our daily reality. But when you take a step back, like we did on Yom Ha'atzmaut and reflect on what these past 70 years have bought - and on the backdrop of the Holocaust yet - it's hard to deny the Divine aspect of the process which we are experiencing.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 1:23 pm
I always get tears when I hear the pasuk in Haazinu that seems to refer so clearly to the death camps - "Eichah Yirdof Echad Elef, U'shtayim Yanisu R'vavah". Percentage-wise, the ratio of Nazis Y"SH to victims was low....

In DD's school, when they memorize Haazinu, they sing these pesukim to the tune of a well-known song about the holocaust. I don't think that's coincidental

ETA: My father told me that he learned that there's a reference to every single Jew in Haazinu. IIRC Acher found his reference there and it lead him astray, or something like that. My father is very into numbers and gematrias, and he found a reference to himself - something to do with his name and the numbers adding up to the year of his birth. Really cool.

mandksima

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 2:06 pm
There are a lot of wonderful geula blogs out there which have so much information as well as lots of books about the End of Days where you can read how each current event matches up with prophesy. Lots and lots of shiurim...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 3:05 pm
I'm not leumi, but certainly the rebirth of Israel is a miracle.

Plus, I have seen some personal miracles that I didn't think happened in real life outside of motivational speeches.

kh

octopus

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 3:25 pm
I'm not familiar with all the different prophecies, but I get shivers when I read some of the prakei of tehillim. I've read some tehillim that seem to correspond to the holocaust and Hamas.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 3:48 pm
mandksima wrote:
There are a lot of wonderful geula blogs out there which have so much information as well as lots of books about the End of Days where you can read how each current event matches up with prophesy. Lots and lots of shiurim...

I read these blogs, and I've found people who believe that a rabbi who ADMITTED to s-xual abuse is a tzaddik, people who believe there's a huge planet that no one can see on a collision course with earth, Torah codes used to predict the future (when Torah codes came out they insisted they weren't for predicting the future but someone has a computer program for turning God's word into crossword puzzles and didn't get that memo), posts that are allegedly written by people with severe autism who supposedly not just communicate via "facilitated communication" (a hoax) but on top of that are prophets.

I've been reading them for YEARS. I remember how some peabrain during the second George Bush presidency thought George sounded slightly like Gog and ran with that. Not sure if this was the same one of them who was predicting the total collapse of the dollar every week and the sinking of most of the US (no, not a few coastal areas). They don't even have the decency to say "OK, so I was dead wrong about last year's predictions, but here's why you should listen to this year's blathering. Maybe they'll resurrect the Gog Bush nonsense now that the Bush family is in the news again.

Brain donors, the lot of them.

relish

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 3:57 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I read these blogs, and I've found people who believe that a rabbi who ADMITTED to s-xual abuse is a tzaddik, people who believe there's a huge planet that no one can see on a collision course with earth, Torah codes used to predict the future (when Torah codes came out they insisted they weren't for predicting the future but someone has a computer program for turning God's word into crossword puzzles and didn't get that memo), posts that are allegedly written by people with severe autism who supposedly not just communicate via "facilitated communication" (a hoax) but on top of that are prophets.

I've been reading them for YEARS. I remember how some peabrain during the second George Bush presidency thought George sounded slightly like Gog and ran with that. Not sure if this was the same one of them who was predicting the total collapse of the dollar every week and the sinking of most of the US (no, not a few coastal areas). They don't even have the decency to say "OK, so I was dead wrong about last year's predictions, but here's why you should listen to this year's blathering. Maybe they'll resurrect the Gog Bush nonsense now that the Bush family is in the news again.

This is my concern. How do you know that this is the fulfullment of a prophecy? Perhaps it's some random event that you decided to tie into the words of the Torah and make it match.

Sort of like that guy who claims to be a medium when really he's just an empath, has good stage presence, and can pick up on other people's "stuff"

Last edited by relish on Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

etky

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:15 pm
seeker wrote:

And then there's 1. the continued existence of the Jewish people and 2. our return to Eretz Yisrael. Granted we're still waiting for a full redemption, but who would have believed that there would even exist a huge Jewish community in Israel after hundreds to thousands of years of exile and devastation?

On Pesach we went to the beach in Ashdod but, since admission was free on chol hamoed, I insisted on dragging everyone to this museum, not far from the beach, called "The Museum of Philistine Culture" (a nice oxymoron that English speakers can appreciate Very Happy ).
It's a little museum but very well done (I recommend a visit, even with kids, if you're in the area. We were in and out in under an hour). The museum tells the tale of the Philistines -the Plishtim - one of our cardinal and most intractable enemies, especially during the time of the Shoftim and the reigns of Shaul and David. It discusses the origin and culture of the Philistines as one of the Greek "Sea Peoples" as well as their history in the Land of Israel from around the time of the Exodus until they disappeared from the world stage at around the time of the Assyrian invasion and the exile of the Ten Tribes from the Northern Kingdom.
I couldn't help marvelling at the fact that 3000 years later - we, the Jews, are still around, living and thriving in this same strip of land, and even in this city of Ashdod that was a main Philistine stronghold in biblical times while they, despite their advanced, cosmopolitan civilization and political organization, are long gone and largely forgotten

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:33 pm
relish wrote:
This is my concern. How do you know that this is the fulfullment of a prophecy? Perhaps it's some random event that you decided to tie into the words of the Torah and make it match.

Sort of like that guy who claims to be a medium when really he's just an empath, has good stage presence, and can pick up on other people's "stuff"

You can say that about things like the Torah-crossword-puzzle and facilitated communication (thank you, imasoftov, the way you expressed that was very entertaining LOL ) but when it comes to things that are more explicit in Tanach, it's a lot more convincing.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 5:09 pm
seeker wrote:
You can say that about things like the Torah-crossword-puzzle and facilitated communication (thank you, imasoftov, the way you expressed that was very entertaining LOL ) but when it comes to things that are more explicit in Tanach, it's a lot more convincing.

I don't have any information about how long it is between one harvest and the next year's planting nowadays in Israel but I'll try to find out.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 5:11 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I don't have any information about how long it is between one harvest and the next year's planting nowadays in Israel but I'll try to find out.

OK I've lost track of what you're talking about...

imasoftov

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 5:14 pm
So here's my prediction for this thread and the "why do you believe in God" one. Yael is going to lock but not delete them, so whatever bogus proofs were posted between the last time I logged in and when the thread gets locked will sit here until this site goes away.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 5:16 pm
seeker wrote:
OK I've lost track of what you're talking about...

Search for "Amos" in this thread.

etky

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 1:27 am
imasoftov wrote:
Search for "Amos" in this thread.

Unlike many prophecies in other nevi'im, there's actually nothing cryptic in this particular depiction that needs interpreting with codes or crossword puzzles.
No, the mountains in Israel are not actually flowing with wine and the hills are not melting.
Nor are the harvests and planting seasons intermingling (although I think that if discussing different types of crops that could theoretically be the case).
Nor did G-d literally 'plant' us, like vegetables, in the soil of the Land.
The meaning, minus the poetic embellishment, is pretty clear: agricultural abundance and all over prosperity in a newly-fertile and rebuilt land and, most importantly, the restoration of the Jewish people to their land. This, b"h is happening now before our eyes.
As to the last part of the verse that ends the book: "they shall no more be plucked up out of their land which I have given them" we have no assurances. Hopefully we will be zocheh for this too.

salt

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 1:31 am
כה אמר, יהוה צבאות, עוד יישבו זקנים וזקנות, ברחובות ירושלים; ואיש משענתו בידו, מרוב ימים. ה ורחובות העיר יימלאו, ילדים וילדות, משחקים, ברחובותיה.

Zecharia 8:
(loose translation)
"So says Hashem, old men and women will sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each man with his cane.
And the streets of the city will be filled with girls and boys playing in it's streets."

Absolutely come true in our very day.

salt

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 1:38 am
imasoftov wrote:

Torah codes and abbreviations being equal to the intials of Haman's sons, and names of presidents sounding like Gog, etc, are not equivalent to Nevi'im's prophecies coming true.

I really don't think there are many other nations in the history of mankind who have returned to their original land with it's original language, it's original laws and customs, 2000 years after they were exiled from that land, and dispersed to all 4 corners of the world.
And not only did this happen, but it was prophecised before the exile even took place.

I'm not saying that's why you should believe in G-d, but I'm just saying it's unprecedented and absolutely amazing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics