Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What's the earliest age you left your child at home alone?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:06 pm
What is the earliest age you ever left your child home without a babysitter?
For how long?
For 5 minutes at what age?
For an hour at what age?
At what age do you let your kids babysit their siblings?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:52 pm
I left my 10 year old home alone for a half hour or so.

I have left my 11-12 year old (who is very responsible) in charge during quiet times (I.e. everyone in bed) for up to an hour if I am local and have a cell phone with me, or a half hour during the daytime when all kids are productively occupied if I have the youngest with me.

Not ideal, I'd rather wait until older, but life happens.

mother4

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:56 pm
You may get different responses, but doesnt mean that its the right thing to do. My mom had me babysit from age 7. Is that okay? No. Also,
It depends on the neighbors' situation. Do you have any in same building or do you live alone?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 11:37 pm

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
I know it's not ideal. Just interested to know what people do when you really need a babysitter and you don't have. My 7 year old is perfectly capable of watching her younger siblings. She also knows how to call me. I left her a few times for a short amount of time. Was wondering what other people think. Can't wait until my kids are older....

I'm wondering if you are posting this to get people to yell at you to stop doing this.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
I'm wondering if you are posting this to get people to yell at you to stop doing this.

(Who said I will do it again?)

Just interested to know honestly what other people do. No one will announce it in public. I didn't ask what age is it right or ok. I asked at what age have you done it?

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 12:01 am
I use two criteria to evaluate my child's level of independence.

1. What would he/she do if a fire broke out?
2. What would he/ she do if he/she or the sibling in their care choked.

There is no seven year old I know that would pass this test. I know you sometimes need to get out, but your children are precious treasures that are dependent on you for protection. Think about a worst case scenario and if you could live with yourself if chalila it happened.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 12:03 am
And to answer your question, I have left my 11 year old alone for less than an hour during a quiet time of day. I took the youngest with me and she was fine supervising the others.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 12:07 am
Never left a kid alone till age nine.
Up to about an hour.
Never in charge of younger siblings.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 12:08 am
I left my 3 year old (who wouldn’t touch a flame or climb on a table) for 2 minutes while I borrowed some eggs from a neighbor.

I’ve left my 5 year old (grown same 3 yr old) for 5 minutes while I shmoozed with a neighbor outside.

I left a responsible 7 yr old for 5 minutes during the day while I ran to the grocery next door.

Ive left my 10 year old sometimes with younger kids by day for a half hr or so.

I leave my very mature and responsible 11 year old at home with her 10 yr old sister to babysit together at night for 2 hours sometimes.

But I live in a safe neighborhood, fantastic neighbors, and good instructions.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 12:09 am
10 year old for 20 minutes during day time.

rowo

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 12:14 am
My oldest is nearly 11 and we just started leaving him at home, with or without a sibling. For max 10-15 minutes, but we have family as neighbours, and know all the other immediate neighbours.
Only during the day.
It's just for quick drop off or pick ups. Other wise I either get a babysitter or take them with.

Miri7

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 12:17 am
Once they were 10-11, we’d leave by day for a half hour or so. Not with any siblings younger than 8-9. My oldest are very responsible and we checked in with neighbors who were home.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 3:39 am
Wow, these are very conservative! I was left home alone for about 20 minutes when I was 7 because I didn't feel like going with my mom to drop off my sister. BUT I got scared and ran outside to tell her to take me with her. She didn't see me so she drove off and I sat down and cried. Baruch Hashem, a nice neighbor told me to go inside. I probably didn't stay alone again for a couple of years after that, don't remember exactly. But my sister and I did stay home alone together often during the day when I think she was 8 and I was 6. Sometimes with a friend, too.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 3:49 am
Next school year my forth grader will come home by himself and be for about two hours home alone.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 4:05 am
I better not write French exemples lol

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 6:10 am
Where I live people don't seem to leave kids home alone with younger kids until at least 13/14 or more. Although one friend told me she leaves her 11 year old home for short periods of time.
Unless they are from other countries eg Israel where they seem to be more laid back about it.

When I was 15 I would babysit my 11 year old neighbor after school until her mother came home.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 6:26 am
Raisin wrote:
Where I live people don't seem to leave kids home alone with younger kids until at least 13/14 or more. Although one friend told me she leaves her 11 year old home for short periods of time.
Unless they are from other countries eg Israel where they seem to be more laid back about it.

When I was 15 I would babysit my 11 year old neighbor after school until her mother came home.

In my experience, that is definitely not the norm among secular Americans. At 14 I babysat a family with a 3, 7, and 10 year old, but I am pretty sure if it was just a 10 year old, they would have left her home alone. Just not with the 3 year old.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:19 am
I leave my 11 and 9 year old home alone at night for a few hours if I am local. Their baby brother is sleeping. I have a downstairs neighbor that they go to if they need anything. I leave strict instructions about answering doors, etc... and I call to check in quite frequently. Until this year, I never left either of them home alone even in the day. But I tend to let the 9 year old start doing most things at the same as age as his older brother does.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:26 am
amother wrote:
I use two criteria to evaluate my child's level of independence.

1. What would he/she do if a fire broke out?
2. What would he/ she do if he/she or the sibling in their care choked.

There is no seven year old I know that would pass this test. I know you sometimes need to get out, but your children are precious treasures that are dependent on you for protection. Think about a worst case scenario and if you could live with yourself if chalila it happened.

Yes, I agree with this. I leave my 10 yr old with the younger kids but never with the baby BC she wont entertain the baby. But, my 10 yr old is very responsible and knows what to do in the above situations.

When my second child is 10, I would not leave her alone BC she is so spacey and wont do the proper thing in an emergency BC shell be so busy freaking out. Every child is different. It isn't just age.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics