Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
What's on the Menu?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 9:13 am
1091 wrote:
The only thing I figured out this year is that I’m not making home made cheesecake. Yes it’s good. It’s delicius but so much work. And such a mess.

I have a great cheesecake recipe that is 5 minutes of prep and is inexpensive too.
It is a recipe I took once (18 yrs ago) from an ad in the Good Housekeeping Magazine , advertising Keeblers Graham Cracker Pie Crust .
It only has one block of cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla etc. and a ready graham cracker pie crust. I can find the recipe and provide it later. I always get great reviews on it and it's really simple and easy and quick to make.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 9:17 am
1091 wrote:
The only thing I figured out this year is that I’m not making home made cheesecake. Yes it’s good. It’s delicius but so much work. And such a mess.

What is your recipe? My standard recipe is pie crust - no work, plus cheese, eggs, sugar, cream, vanilla. Beat together, bake. If you want to be fancy there are all sorts of additional things you can do to it but this is super easy. (from here: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/re......html )

I have another lighter version that requires separating eggs. A bit more work but I get more cheesecake out of less cheese)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 9:18 am
emunahmother wrote:
You can freeze cabbage and noodles? The noodles don’t get overly mushy and the cabbage release water when defrosting?

Cabbage and noodles freeze amazingly well. Just rewarm it in the oven and it's perfect.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Tue, May 01 2018, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 9:26 am
bargainlover wrote:
Do you only use the plata for yom tov? I'd love not to leave the oven on as it makes my air conditioning run non stop. I'd put it on a timer so it won't be a safety hazard....

I use it for shabbos on a timer too. Friday night I heat the soup in a small pot, otherwise it will cook out to much in a disposable pan.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 9:27 am
emunahmother wrote:
You can freeze cabbage and noodles? The noodles don’t get overly mushy and the cabbage release water when defrosting?

Yes if you use egg noodles like chuster brand bow ties, they freeze beautifully. If you use pasta bow ties like from ronzoni brand, it won't freeze and reheat well. Same for orzo.

cozyblanket

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 9:34 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I have a great cheesecake recipe that is 5 minutes of prep and is inexpensive too.
It is a recipe I took once (18 yrs ago) from an ad in the Good Housekeeping Magazine , advertising Keeblers Graham Cracker Pie Crust .
It only has one block of cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla etc. and a ready graham cracker pie crust. I can find the recipe and provide it later. I always get great reviews on it and it's really simple and easy and quick to make.

This sounds perfect for me! It's hard to find cy cream here! Does it freeze well? Any chance you could post it by tonight? Thank you so much!

My menu: I have pesach food in the freezer for Fleishig meals.. I'm making stuffed shells, salmon and salads for the dairy meals. It not all totally planned out yet.

lfab

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 10:54 am
I haven't made a menu yet and don't know what I'm serving when and haven't planned everything I'd like to make but some of the things I plan to make are:

individual butternut squash kugels
Individual shepard's pies
vegetable wontons
mushroom zucchini kugel
potato kugel
carrot kugel
orzo salad
mushroom salad
roasted vegetables
corned beef
baked breaded chicken cutlets
honey garlic chicken
sesame chicken

I have to look through my recipes to decide what else to make.

We usually only do 1 dairy meal and again I haven't decided what to make yet but in the past I've chosen from:
lasagne
potato blintz
broccoli calzone
mushroom broccoli quiche
broccoli bites
salmon or tilapia

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:22 pm
I will happily take any suggest cheesecake recipes that won’t require me to take out my kitchen aid and blender. Because that’s what happens every year. Otherwise I get tiny pieces of cheese that doesn’t incorporate. The year I just use a blender burnt out my blender.

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:44 pm
Soften the cream cheese. In the microwave, on the counter, saucepan or double boiler...
I use a whisk. Then again I’m using gvina levana that is already soft and smooth.

mommyhood

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 1:32 pm
1091 wrote:
I will happily take any suggest cheesecake recipes that won’t require me to take out my kitchen aid and blender. Because that’s what happens every year. Otherwise I get tiny pieces of cheese that doesn’t incorporate. The year I just use a blender burnt out my blender.

I use this recipe. It says to use a food processor but I crush the graham crackers in a ziploc bag and I use an immersion blender for the filling. Soften the cream cheese in the microwave first that makes it much easier to mix.
https://www.allrecipes.com/rec.....sults

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 1:48 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
This sounds perfect for me! It's hard to find cy cream here! Does it freeze well? Any chance you could post it by tonight? Thank you so much!

My menu: I have pesach food in the freezer for Fleishig meals.. I'm making stuffed shells, salmon and salads for the dairy meals. It not all totally planned out yet.

Here is the the recipe:
Baked Classic Cheesecake

Preheat oven to 350:

1 pk 8oz cream cheese softened (in the grey box or similar)
1/2 C sugar
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 tsp vanilla
Dash of salt
2 eggs
1 ready graham cracker pie crust
Topping ingredients:
1 Cup Sour Cream
2 TBSP sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl beat cream cheese and 1/2 C sugar on medium speed until fluffy.
Beat in lemon juice, vanilla and salt
Add eggs one at a time until just combined for each addition
Pour mixture into pie crust
Bake 25 minutes until knife comes out clean 1" from edge
For the topping:
In small bowl mix topping ingredients.
Carefully spread over cheese cake (after the 25 min of baking)
Bake 10 minutes.
Cool on wire rack for 1 hr
Refrigerate at least two hours (overnight is even better)

I froze this once . It comes out tasting ok but the crust gets soggy and wet. I prefer just refrigerating . It lasts at least a week in the fridge.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 1:53 pm
lfab wrote:
I haven't made a menu yet and don't know what I'm serving when and haven't planned everything I'd like to make but some of the things I plan to make are:

individual butternut squash kugels
Individual shepard's pies
vegetable wontons
mushroom zucchini kugel
potato kugel
carrot kugel
orzo salad
mushroom salad
roasted vegetables
corned beef
baked breaded chicken cutlets
honey garlic chicken
sesame chicken

I have to look through my recipes to decide what else to make.

We usually only do 1 dairy meal and again I haven't decided what to make yet but in the past I've chosen from:
lasagne
potato blintz
broccoli calzone
mushroom broccoli quiche
broccoli bites
salmon or tilapia

What are broccoli bites?

cbg

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 2:00 pm
bargainlover wrote:
No menu yet but ideas for meals so far :

Soup:
Cream of Chicken soup
Mushroom soup

Salads:
London broil salad
Nish nosh salad
Terra sticks salad
Salmon cubes over pasta

Mains:
Kishka stuffed chicken
Onion chicken
Sesame chicken
Corned beef
Pulled beef
Minute steak

Sides:
Grilled veggies
Scalloped potatoes
Potato kugel

This is so far....

Can I get your onion chicken recipe, please.
TIA

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 5:12 pm
mommyhood wrote:
It's the same as second night of any yontif. I plan a cold appetizer and as long as I leave my oven on 250 or higher the rest of the food is warmed by the time we get through kiddush, motzei and the first course. Make sure everything is taken out of the freezer erev Shabbos.

I'm planning on making challah and cheese blintzes this Sunday. I haven't gotten farther than that.

True, it is the same, but these are late nights. Usually for the second night I'll have a sliced roast/pepper steak that heats up quickly. (No soup, too late; on other second nights of yom tov, we will have soup which gives the main course extra time to reheat.) So I guess I can refry the blintzes, won't take too long.

And Lag Ba'Omer is usually when I start blintzing.

lfab

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 7:03 am
thunderstorm wrote:
What are broccoli bites?

It's basically chopped broccoli mixed with eggs, bread crumbs, and cheese then formed into balls and dipped into a panko crumb and spice mixture then baked. I can post the recipe if you want it.

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 7:31 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Here is the the recipe:
Baked Classic Cheesecake

Preheat oven to 350:

1 pk 8oz cream cheese softened (in the grey box or similar)
1/2 C sugar
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 tsp vanilla
Dash of salt
2 eggs
1 ready graham cracker pie crust
Topping ingredients:
1 Cup Sour Cream
2 TBSP sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl beat cream cheese and 1/2 C sugar on medium speed until fluffy.
Beat in lemon juice, vanilla and salt
Add eggs one at a time until just combined for each addition
Pour mixture into pie crust
Bake 25 minutes until knife comes out clean 1" from edge
For the topping:
In small bowl mix topping ingredients.
Carefully spread over cheese cake (after the 25 min of baking)
Bake 10 minutes.
Cool on wire rack for 1 hr
Refrigerate at least two hours (overnight is even better)

I froze this once . It comes out tasting ok but the crust gets soggy and wet. I prefer just refrigerating . It lasts at least a week in the fridge.

how do you avoid the tiny pieces of cream cheese that don't get incorporated into the batter? Or maybe I just need to let the cream cheese sit longer before I start the first step.

bargainlover

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 7:42 am
cbg wrote:
Can I get your onion chicken recipe, please.
TIA

Sure, http://thegushgourmet.blogspot.....l?m=1

cozyblanket

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 9:31 am
What do you guys think? Is there a way to successfully freeze roasted vegis with cheese? I wouldn't normally think to freeze it, but I'm trying to make things ahead.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 9:39 am
1091 wrote:
how do you avoid the tiny pieces of cream cheese that don't get incorporated into the batter? Or maybe I just need to let the cream cheese sit longer before I start the first step.

Do you have an immersion blender? I keep one for milchig. Very thin, small and easy to wash.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 9:41 am
cozyblanket wrote:
What do you guys think? Is there a way to successfully freeze roasted vegis with cheese? I wouldn't normally think to freeze it, but I'm trying to make things ahead.

I wouldn't.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics